Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
cloisville

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Using Verizon Blackberry/BIS in Europe with European SIM

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there!

I've searched the Internet for a few hours for an answer to this question, but I haven't come across any solid answers. (I've also asked the same question around the web but haven't heard anything definitive.)

I'll be studying in Italy for 1.5 months this summer, and I need an Italian phone number (and therefore, an Italian SIM card) for my study abroad program. I've already called Verizon and they have unlocked my Blackberry Bold 9650.

Some of the Italian cellular carriers provide pre-paid GSM SIM cards, along with pay-as-you-go Blackberry data packages. For example, according to the PrePaidGSM website, the Italian provider "TIM" offers pre-paid cards as well as a Blackberry data package for 2 euros/week (the data package is activated and deactivated via text message).

Here are my questions:

1) If I purchase the TIM card with the weekly Blackberry data package, will I be able to use email, web browsing, and BBM (BBM is most important to me, as it would allow me to contact my family without the need for phone calls)?

2) There are many conflicting reports as to whether I would need to "de-register" or "release" my PIN from Verizon before using the Italian SIM card. Can anyone offer solid evidence on this? If I leave my PIN registered with Verizon, would I still be able to use BBM with the TIM voice and Blackberry data package?

The second question is the biggest one I've had -- I would really like to avoid the hassle of asking Verizon to "release" my pin, but I also don't want to try to use my PIN on an Italian carrier if it's just going to mess up my Verizon-PIN association.

Thanks so much!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Default Re: Using Verizon Blackberry/BIS in Europe with European SIM

1. yes.
2. no. you have to get the BIS account with verizon deleted, otherwise you cannot use BIS on the italian sim. Because your device is already registered with a BIS account, you cannot register it with another BIS account.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 05-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
cloisville

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for your reply!

My only concern about switching BIS accounts from Verizon to the Italian carrier is that I'm not sure how complicated it will be to ask the Italian carrier to remove my BIS account with them at the end of the summer, when I want to return to Verizon. There's no way I can do it on my own, is there?

Also, as a possible second solution -- I can live without BBM for the summer, but it would be incredibly handy to have Internet/data access for Google Maps and the Gmail Mobile app when I'm visiting European cities. Let's say I use the Italian SIM with the PAYG Blackberry plan -- could I still access the Internet even if I DIDN'T suspend my Verizon BIS account? That is to say, would I be able to use Google Maps abroad without a BIS account? (I know that I wouldn't have access to Blackberry services like wireless app installations and BBM and BB Browser.)
Old 05-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
ofelas
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

As far as deleting the VZW BIS & creating a local one - any calls to VZW or the local provider needed?
Or is one able to delete the VZW BIS & create the foreign BIS online?
Old 05-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Only the carrier can delete a BIS account, this requires calling them.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread