BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #61
wilbret
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

FWIW, I tried to return mine and go to the Curve, but I waited over 30 days and VZW was not willing to work with me at all. My only alternative was to go back to my 8703e.

1-can't stand typing on the Storm. I don't like the keyboard or the way it covers up most of the screen when in use, or the keyboard performance. I literally wait to reply to emails now until I get back to my office, whereas for the past 5 years I sent 90% of my emails from my BB.
2 -slow and/or inconsistent landscape/portrait mode. Won't change when you need it, and changes when you don't, leading you to open an APP you didn't intend on opening.
3 -battery life is abysmal. I got my Storm on Christmas day. Two months later, my old blackberry was still ON and had more juice left. My Storm is drained by the end of the workday.
4- Random reboot reboot reboot. Happens too much, and takes 3-5 minutes to boot!
5- I'm the king of the walking battery pull. The Storm hangs at least once or more per day, requiring a pull. I often go hours without realizing I've missed calls and emails because the phone was 'stuck.'
6- I jealously watch my wife surf on her iphone while I wait for pages to load.
7-the lock/unlock feature makes as much sense as putting a deadbolt in backwards. A simple push on the TOP of the phone unlocks it? Huh?
8-Camera is slooooooow. Slow to start and slow to take a picture. Capturing an event when it happens is impossible.

I want to love this phone. It 'looks' awesome and has some powerful features. Sadly, I'd rather have a Blackberry that does what blackberries are supposed to do...email, calendar and phone... and keep an iPod in my other pocket.

/end rant. Probably doesn't belong here. But frustrated by VZW on this one.

7750/7250/8703e RIP
Old 05-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #62
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbret View Post
FWIW, I tried to return mine and go to the Curve, but I waited over 30 days and VZW was not willing to work with me at all. My only alternative was to go back to my 8703e.

1-can't stand typing on the Storm. I don't like the keyboard or the way it covers up most of the screen when in use, or the keyboard performance. I literally wait to reply to emails now until I get back to my office, whereas for the past 5 years I sent 90% of my emails from my BB.
2 -slow and/or inconsistent landscape/portrait mode. Won't change when you need it, and changes when you don't, leading you to open an APP you didn't intend on opening.
3 -battery life is abysmal. I got my Storm on Christmas day. Two months later, my old blackberry was still ON and had more juice left. My Storm is drained by the end of the workday.
4- Random reboot reboot reboot. Happens too much, and takes 3-5 minutes to boot!
5- I'm the king of the walking battery pull. The Storm hangs at least once or more per day, requiring a pull. I often go hours without realizing I've missed calls and emails because the phone was 'stuck.'
7-the lock/unlock feature makes as much sense as putting a deadbolt in backwards. A simple push on the TOP of the phone unlocks it? Huh?
8-Camera is slooooooow. Slow to start and slow to take a picture. Capturing an event when it happens is impossible.

I want to love this phone. It 'looks' awesome and has some powerful features. Sadly, I'd rather have a Blackberry that does what blackberries are supposed to do...email, calendar and phone... and keep an iPod in my other pocket.

7750/7250/8703e RIP
I am with you 100% on items 2-8! Very frustrating phone. Seems to be more of a tinker's phone than a real consumer product.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #63
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbret

7750/7250/8703e RIP

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Most of your complaints are fixed by installing the latest OS you can find on this forum. You can even find newer software with a little bit of searching. I HiGHLY recommend loading the latest OS you can find.

Last edited by John Clark; 05-20-2009 at 07:57 PM..
Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 AM   #64
petedread

Model: 9500
Carrier: vodafone
Default i backed the wrong horse

if you have a iphone and you are paying £35 a month then you will get the new iphone free, thay have done this with every new iphone release. will bb give me the new storm for free? when it is released. i feel like thay owe me a phone that works better than the one i have now. i have the latest os and i'm still not happy with it.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #65
mdanese

Model: Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

Most of your complaints are fixed by installing the latest OS you can find on this forum. You can even find newer software with a little bit of searching. I HiGHLY recommend loading the latest OS you can find.
You can do this. But you should not HAVE to do this, particularly since it has been more than 6 months after the last update. I think this is the biggest problem with RIM and Verizon. If they had released the phone initially with something along the lines of what is currently available out there as leaked versions, there would have been much less of an outcry.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #66
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanese View Post
You can do this. But you should not HAVE to do this, particularly since it has been more than 6 months after the last update. I think this is the biggest problem with RIM and Verizon. If they had released the phone initially with something along the lines of what is currently available out there as leaked versions, there would have been much less of an outcry.

You can either be right or you can just load the damn OS! RIM has put out fixes. Blame Verizon for not putting them out there. If you can find the leaked OS's then its your OWN fault and don't come here griping about the device.

Just load the OS. .122 is out there as an official release (although not from Verizon) and we have beta threads (if you want info on newer) and all kinds of information to help you make the best of your device.

Last edited by John Clark; 05-20-2009 at 07:58 PM..
Old 05-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #67
CEV
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have not returned mine because I keep hoping Verizon comes out with an official OS update. More and more disappointed with them every month that goes by and no official release.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #68
Bullitt1668

PIN: 30571D9F

With .122 my STORM is better than ever!!! I did have some problems with it resetting at lest once a day back with the original OS (.65), but since I started updating my OS I haven't had any problems at all!

So to answer your question: Hell no! I got no reason to return my phone... I LOVE MY STORM!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #69
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
You can either be right or you can just load the damn OS! RIM has put out fixes. Blame Verizon for not putting them out there. If you can find the leaked OS's then its your OWN fault and don't come here griping about the device.

Just load the OS. .122 is out there as an official release (although not from Verizon) and we have beta threads (if you want info on newer) and all kinds of information to help you make the best of your device.
IF the OS's released after .75 were so great, how come 1) Verizon rejected the latest submission , and 2) folks on the forums play "update of the day" roulette, day after day and wax eloquently about the gotchas and good features of every incremental update?? NONE of the updates seems up to the task of absolving RIM of putting out a great piece of hardware with a half-baked OS.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #70
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1668 View Post
With .122 my STORM is better than ever!!! I did have some problems with it resetting at lest once a day back with the original OS (.65), but since I started updating my OS I haven't had any problems at all!

So to answer your question: Hell no! I got no reason to return my phone... I LOVE MY STORM!!!
That's nice you like your Storm now. IF 122 is so great, I wonder why Verizon wasn't given a crack at reviewing it for release to it's customers, and IF it was reviewed by them, why it didn't pass muster. I find it hard to believe that VZN isn't eager to put the Storm OS fiasco behind them by providing a decent version to it's customers ASAP. I seriously don't think the OS you like is really all that wonderful, when taken as a WHOLE, and not just for some features you find improved from earlier incarnations.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #71
John Clark
BBF Moderator

If you don't like things in the current OS's that are out there, then fine. However, you're going to rant about the old OS then go somewhere else.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #72
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

If you don't like things in the current OS's that are out there, then fine. However, you're going to rant about the old OS then go somewhere else.

Hmmm, from your tone I gather that you think there is an OS version out there between .75 and 14x that is actually decent and worth running for the near future (rather than an OS flavor of the day). Care to share which of the myriad versions YOU consider primo? I see complaints regarding EVERY version thus far in the wild.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #73
John Clark
BBF Moderator

There is NO OS that is without bugs. However, the original versions that Verizon shipped with were not good. My response was to the poster who was complaining of things that have since been fixed. I realize there may still be issues. I never said there weren't. But to complain about the slow camera, the slow portrait-landscape mode, etc. just doesn't make sense. To keep those OS's just because you "shouldn't have to" load another OS just makes no sense. I'm open to criticisms of the newer OS's.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #74
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

.148 is pretty good.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #75
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

There is NO OS that is without bugs. However, the original versions that Verizon shipped with were not good. My response was to the poster who was complaining of things that have since been fixed. I realize there may still be issues. I never said there weren't. But to complain about the slow camera, the slow portrait-landscape mode, etc. just doesn't make sense. To keep those OS's just because you "shouldn't have to" load another OS just makes no sense. I'm open to criticisms of the newer OS's.
Fair enough. and I'm also open to the idea of having a really nice functioning Storm, but "partly fixed" wouldn't be good enough to entice me to repurchase. Memory leaks and battery pulls MUST be a thing of the past, before I'll bite again.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #76
wilbret

I'm a member of this forum and crackberryforums. I've investigated various OS versions.
They don't 'fix' all of the problems with this device.

However... I went to VZW today to get them to replace my car adapter, and walked out with a new Storm that is actually light years better than my old one. But some things still irk me, like how the qwerty keyboard leaves about 1 line of visible space for typing.

The battery life is absurdly poor. I guess I'm going to have to buy a 2nd battery.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #77
johnlatessa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPh 5

Well, I still have mine because I bought it in February and it's almost June now. I'm stuck with it, unless I want to buy a Curve off Ebay, switch stuff over, and then turn around and sell the Storm on Ebay.

If RIM would release a FAST, stable OS for this phone - I'd be perfectly happy with it.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #78
mdanese

Model: Tour

Quote:

It is the USER's fault? That is great. Blame the customers for not having the time or inclination to do software testing for RIM. There is a reason that these OS candidates keep getting rejected. It is because they have issues.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #79
gamehenge

Model: storm

I have read most of this thread and I hope i don't get banned but I would like to voice some of my complaints as I have owned a storm for 4 or 5 months now.

1.) Slow.... numerous times I have had an incoming call and the clock comes up telling me to wait. by the time the clock disappears my call is missed. I use this for business purposes and these are customers calling me. Very disappointing. I have a BES at work too.
2.) the accelrameter doesn't work well. My phone will get stuck in the horizontal view even when i turn the phone vertical... not a big deal but a small annoyance
3.) updates.... maybe i am not getting notified of new updates... but everytime i complain to my rep about this phones performace.... he tells to look for an update. Thats not right i should be notified of updates.
4.) the keyboard is not easy and slow.... i thought i would get used to it... but i didn't
5.)Also i see on here the comment "if you don't like it don't buy it" well i didn't know i didn't like it until i bought it and used it. I gave it a real shot but by the time i got feed up with it my return period was gone. The first time i complained was 10 or 15 days in and the verzion person told me that all my problems would be fixed with the next update.... They weren't. i am disappointed in verizon for pushing this product so hard even though most of the sales people would touch it. I feel like i got hustled...

Overall the phone has some great features, but they are heavily outweighed by the problems. Blackberry & verizon have really lost my trust on this product and I am looking to dump my BES and switch my whole company over to another product.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #80
Cilraaz

Wow. The same thread has been necro'd twice now.
Closed Thread