Old 10-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
G3XOI

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Default Curve 8900 Orange Data Plan

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there!

I bought my first 'new' blackberry 8900 on Thursday! I am on the Orange Dolphin 30 24 month contract.

I am supposed to have 500mb internet but whenever I try to connect to the internet outside of my house using WiFi it doesn't work!

Is there something I have to do in order to activate it or should it just work automatically?!

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

you have to scan for a network everytime you encounter one that you havent used before.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
G3XOI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
you have to scan for a network everytime you encounter one that you havent used before.
even for GPS and edge? I can get the wifi to work... just not edge.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Ah right. Sorry you said that internetoutside your house using wi-fi.
I thought you meant using wi-fi not in your house.

Do you have the BB data plan on your account?

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
RFCole

Model: 8900
Carrier: Orange

Do you have 'GPRS' or 'EDGE' displayed on your home screen in capital letters? If so, your phone should be able to access the internet. Go to your browser > options > browser configuration. Make sure 'Internet Browser' is selected, and not 'Hotspot Browser'. Never select 'Orange World' as Orange may charge you extra, despite you having the inclusive data plan (I'm on the same plan).

If you have 'gprs', 'edge' or 'gsm' displayed on your home screen (in lowercase letters), it means your BlackBerry hasn't been provisioned yet by Orange. Give them a call, and tell them this. When I bought my BB, I had to call them four times (after having to read up on how Blackberrys work!). The last call I made I finally got to speak to technical support instead of a regular advisor, and he said that for some reason no one had 'flicked the switch' to turn my data plan on... it worked almost immediately after that.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
G3XOI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFCole View Post
Do you have 'GPRS' or 'EDGE' displayed on your home screen in capital letters? If so, your phone should be able to access the internet. Go to your browser > options > browser configuration. Make sure 'Internet Browser' is selected, and not 'Hotspot Browser'. Never select 'Orange World' as Orange may charge you extra, despite you having the inclusive data plan (I'm on the same plan).

If you have 'gprs', 'edge' or 'gsm' displayed on your home screen (in lowercase letters), it means your BlackBerry hasn't been provisioned yet by Orange. Give them a call, and tell them this. When I bought my BB, I had to call them four times (after having to read up on how Blackberrys work!). The last call I made I finally got to speak to technical support instead of a regular advisor, and he said that for some reason no one had 'flicked the switch' to turn my data plan on... it worked almost immediately after that.
Thanks mate! Sounds about right! Got gprs in small letters! I'll give them a call later :D

Thanks again!
Closed Thread