BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
Rick412

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Thumbs down 9530 "5.0" Update is a bust!

Please Login to Remove!

Well the Blackberry boys did it again...got their cart before the horse!

The new "5.0" 9530 Storm update is a bust with many failures. If you want to save your self a ton of time with BB tech support phone calls or Verizon "No-Knowing" a damn thing support reps...for the time being keep your existing 4.7 software a bit longer!

I got an email on the 28th from Verizon informing me of a "RECOMMENDED" software update (v5.0) for my Storm and that Blackberry also recommends that users update to the newer software version as soon as possible! So me, being the guy that wants to do whats right for my Storm, read ALL the lit and disclaimers, nothing out of line from what it says... jumped right in and did the update.

To start with the update took 35 minutes to complete, everything on my phone had to be re-registered, my email accounts had to be re-loaded, 4 out of 6 of the apps I was running were not compatible with the 5.0 update (most important a Wallet and PDF app with some very important data) and the very most important of all...my mobile broadband connection for my laptop, Blackberry forgot to add into the update! FORGOT to add to the 5.0 update package????? No, Blackberry couldn't forget something as important to it's users as that??? Yah they did!!!

More later as I try to get things working again for my Storm...
Old 10-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Another first post rant. Wow.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 10-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
tach18k
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 83xx
Carrier: verizon

The worst I had was not remembering my username and password to reset the blackberry email account. they kept sending my new password to my blackberry email, which wasnt working on the phone.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
Rick412

Your right and I am sorry for the rant but the last 3 days for me trying to deal with Verizon & BlackBerry to get my Storm back on the right track has really left a sour taste in my mouth so far.

In all honesty though...I have worked through the rest of the problems...forgetting the addition of the mobile broadband capabilities has really hurt me the worst. Using my Storm for my laptops modem saves me $20 a month on my 5GB service and actually has a better connection than the available USB modems!...3 days now and BB still hasn't got a fix for the problems ???
Old 10-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
MurrayTORONTO

Model: Storm
Carrier: Telus

You have got to be crazy haha...
I've had 4.7 up until last week and i almost got rid of my phone...found out that 5.0 exists and it's like a whole new phone.

It's so fast now, I never see the loading icon anymore, there's new features.
Overall, I had nothing wrong with my storm before I upgrraded other than it would ALWAYS take forever to load.

5.0 fixed my phone, the only thing that doesn't work is QuickPull

Though I'm quite sad I lost all my google map favorite locations, I had so many..but that's irrelevant

Last edited by MurrayTORONTO; 10-31-2009 at 10:40 AM..
Old 10-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
Rick412

Not crazy at all Dude! For me so far there have been problems. Not everyone's phone apps and config are the same. I am truly glad that your doing fine.

My phone itself is great and the update did wonders for the phone, your right. But some of the phones most important aspects for me and my work habits...not good at all!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

This is exactly what happens when:
  1. You have no idea what you are doing,
  2. You jump in to an upgrade before researching what might go wrong, and
  3. You come to the incorrect conclusion that because you had issues, everyone must have had (or is going to have) issues, and those issues are directly related to RIM's supposed incompetence.

I'm not entirely sure how this is either RIM's or Verizon's fault. Sounds like someone other than RIM put the cart before the horse, if you ask me. Good luck getting it sorted out.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
crboone

I have experienced severe battery drain with 5.0. I don't have any 3rd party apps running in the background, nor have I changed anything (added new apps, etc). I have an extended battery that I only had to "top off" every evening (with regular use of Bluetooth, location, media, internet, Pandora, etc). Now it's 1/2 drained after 12 hours of idle time. I've turned off the location function to see if that helps. If so, I'll report back if that remedies the problem.

Does anyone have any other ideas what might be the cause under 5.0? I really have not changed any settings or added any new apps that might be a battery-drain.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
CaptSwerve
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
This is exactly what happens when:
  1. You have no idea what you are doing,
  2. You jump in to an upgrade before researching what might go wrong, and
  3. You come to the incorrect conclusion that because you had issues, everyone must have had (or is going to have) issues, and those issues are directly related to RIM's supposed incompetence.

I'm not entirely sure how this is either RIM's or Verizon's fault. Sounds like someone other than RIM put the cart before the horse, if you ask me. Good luck getting it sorted out.
I agree. How is it RIM's or Verizon's fault that your third party applications do not work? You should have come here and read a little before doing your upgrade. They usually take 30+ minutes. Sometimes developers of third party applications are not quite on the cutting edge of things. Give it a few weeks and I'm sure most of the heavily used applications will be updated. If you do a search, you can find out how to downgrade your OS back to 4.7 and be happy again. Make sure you do your backups so you don't lose anything.. I don't think RIM or Verizon want you calling because you lost all your data.

EDIT:
By the way, I love the 5.0 release. Everything works as it should (not too crazy about the SMS.. I would love RIM to make the keyboard auto hide when not replying to a message). A lot of my third party applications do not work correctly but I knew that before I upgraded.. they'll catch up.

Last edited by CaptSwerve; 10-31-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Old 10-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
jmwking

Model: 9550

Well... I upgraded to the 5.0.0.328 a few days ago. I have no battery problems. I have one small Pocketday issue - it rotates the display to upside-down (buttons towards the top) when I set it flat.

I use VZAccess Manager, and am posting this while tethered.

The only app I regularly used that no longer works is the free QuickPull. Message Alerts, Google Maps, Poynt, PDF reader, Gmail, Opera Mini - both 4.2 and Beta 5, AP news are all working fine. I haven't tested all my games, yet, but Berrysoft Labyrinth works.

-jk
Old 10-31-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
Racerdj
Thumbs Must Hurt

I do not have any issues with my upgrade to 5.0.328. I think it is a great addition.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
rouen1969
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 312D2644
Talking No Issues ...yet

I'm sorry some peeps are having issues ...as for me, the new OS is fantastic. As with any upgrade on any tech device, some 3rd party apps will take time to catch up. I lovethe fact that it is way faster, the SMS is more like IM & I have not had one single reboot!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
Butchybutch

So far the best os I have tryed for the 9530 and I tryed ever one of them including the hybrids
Old 11-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
backinblack9530

The update was for the most part really good. My Storm is a lot quicker but one thing that bothered me was they added the Bing App. Well I thought I would try it but it locks my phone up so it will be deleted. The camera I think was the biggest improvement. Before it was always trying to focus...took for ever. The new update focuses quickly and takes the picture.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #15
ernhrts3n8
Thumbs Must Hurt

My problem with the upgrade (besides the themes not working correctly; I can deal with that) is the fact that it is killing my memory! My phone goes all the way down from 17 to 3 in just a few hours. I have not changed a thing on my phone or added any new apps for the phone to be doing this.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

5.0.0.328 is a godsend for the Storm. It literally is the phone that should have been released last year.

My only complaint is that even with a low level "wipe" the Storm retains remnants of previous OS build data which is the main source of all issues and conflicts. I have gotten pretty saavy with dickering with the Storm using BBSAK and the DM, but there are still little gremlins running around in my Storm. Luckily I have been able to find little hacks around them via info on the internet. But I feel RICK412's pain and his complaints are not wholly unwarranted.

This weekend, I conducted another wipe, fresh install, and individual 3rd party app installs. I additionally did not re-import my phone settings - just addresses and contacts. I manually reset them and then backed up the final product.

I am seeking to see if there is a way to actually fully wipe - reformat - the phone hard drive and do a total fresh install. Does anyone know of an application that does this?

Rick412. My advice to you is to study up on how to do a wipe and fresh install. Only reimport your address book and contacts. Do not re-import settings. Manually reset them. The reinstall your third party apps individually - OTA downloads are the best way. It's about a 2 hour PITA but I am telling you from experience, your phone will run noticeably better. But do know that once you begin dickering with new OS builds, there will be conflicts and problems you will have to deal with. Its just the nature of the beast, however its worth the effort.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 11-02-2009 at 11:17 AM..
Old 11-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
jreinarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerdj View Post
I do not have any issues with my upgrade to 5.0.328. I think it is a great addition.
I am having no troubles except battery life... I almost done - Tour here I come...
Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #18
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

Enjoy that #$?! trackball too! You can have it brother. NEVER EVER NEVER EVER again for me!!!

Verizon 9530
Old 11-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #19
adorkable

PIN: Ask.

Just wanted to add my support for Team 5.0.0.328 because it really is by far the best out of all the releases, both official and beta. Yes, my memory is lower, but I don't consider that a problem because it doesn't seem to drain any faster, and the phone doesn't act like the memory is low. If anything, it performs as if there's even more available memory than there was with 4.7.x.x.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #20
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

Sounds like someone didn't back up before upgrading...

Honestly, what was this person expecting. Dump & reload of an OS is never perfect.
Closed Thread