Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #81
lloydsfm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone else had the trouble of Garmin rewriting addresses in your contacts list if you select the address containing suite/unit numbers or Canadian postal codes? It is extremely frustrating as my addresses get stipped of their last three digits of their postal codes or lose the suite numbers. Then the next time I sync with my PC, these changes are then transferred to my Outlook, screwing up my business contacts list.

Any work arounds? It would be nice if there was a feature for Garmin to create its Geocoordinates without needing to updating the addresses.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #82
btdown
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I bought and have been using Garmin 5.0.2 and have found it's routing to be horrible. You would think it would prefer highways and other main roads, but no matter what the settings are, it usually puts me on alternate routes and/or smaller roads which are most definitely not the fastest or shortest. I used it yesterday and it had me get off the hwy, drive like a 4 mile re-route, then get back on the same hwy. No rhyme or reason...hopefully this will get fixed in upcoming versions.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #83
dwella
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdown View Post
I bought and have been using Garmin 5.0.2 and have found it's routing to be horrible. You would think it would prefer highways and other main roads, but no matter what the settings are, it usually puts me on alternate routes and/or smaller roads which are most definitely not the fastest or shortest. I used it yesterday and it had me get off the hwy, drive like a 4 mile re-route, then get back on the same hwy. No rhyme or reason...hopefully this will get fixed in upcoming versions.
I had this happen on this trip I am on right now????? It is very strange and I have not had it happen before so if anyone knows a setting or what maybe causing this please post.

d
Old 01-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #84
Kumar_Shah

Sounds like everyone is excited about Garmin maps and GPS on their Blackberries. I cannot figure out why for the life of me.

Aren't you much better off buying a standalone GPS unit and leaving it in your car or moving it from car to car? Costs no more, has a touchscreen......

The only advantage of Garmin maps on your Blackberry is if you need GPS while walking around. If you do, download Blackberry maps (see threads elsewhere telling you how to do it), as I did, and you have a free GPS system on your phone.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:14 AM   #85
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar_Shah View Post
Sounds like everyone is excited about Garmin maps and GPS on their Blackberries. I cannot figure out why for the life of me.
Really? How about the full power of a Garmin stand-alone GPS system in your phone, that is with you no matter where you go or what you're doing (assuming your phone goes everywhere, of course). Sure, you can use BB Maps, but it is lame (as is Google Maps) when compared to the full-featured Garmin software. Horses for courses, I guess...

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #86
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Although I do like the Garmin for the Blackberry, I still don't want to rely on my cell phone for GPS. Somewhere along the line on a long trip, I always lose service.

Garmin for the BB is not the full Garmin interface. Unless things have changed recently, area and road avoidance aren't there and you can't click on a traffic icon. I don't recall the detour feature there (but it may be, I only used the trial) and when it rerouted for traffic, it didn't give me a pop up screen.

I have Garmin for Windows Mobile as well as a stand alone unit 2730 (?). With WM, the maps are on a SD card which is much better; it uses data for traffic, weather, searches. I use that as my primary GPS although it doesn't seem to get a signal as fast as the standalone.

I think the perfect Garmin device would be a standalone unit that connected to my phone via bluetooth for data.

Blackberry Maps doesn't come close to Garmin or Telenav. I'll typically use Google Maps if I need directions and don't have a GPS.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #87
WebSurfer

Model: Bold
Carrier: at&t

Quote:

Aren't you much better off buying a standalone GPS unit and leaving it in your car or moving it from car to car? Costs no more, has a touchscreen......

The only advantage of Garmin maps on your Blackberry is if you need GPS while walking around. If you do, download Blackberry maps (see threads elsewhere telling you how to do it), as I did, and you have a free GPS system on your phone.
A couple of very nice advantages of using Garmin Mobile on your BlackBerry are keeping track of one less device; having GPS with you all the time (my Bold is always close at hand); but perhaps the best difference is the integration with all your contacts.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:48 PM   #88
rockinfigs

hmm anyone else using 5.0.4 besides me?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #89
dwella

I have the 5.0.2 and cant seem to figure out how to upgrade???

d
Old 01-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #90
masonfoley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwella View Post
I have the 5.0.2 and cant seem to figure out how to upgrade???

d
I'm wondering the same thing. I've gone through all of the menu items and there doesn't appear to be any "check for update" type of function.

And going through their support site didn't turn up anything either.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. No Nation could preserve it's freedom in the midst of continual warfare." -- James Madison.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:32 AM   #91
rockinfigs

i got my 5.0.4 from handango
Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #92
dwella

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinfigs View Post
i got my 5.0.4 from handango
You would think that through Garmin you could upgrade from 5.0.2 to 5.0.4 as handango probably is not going to upgrade me as I bought direct from garmin

d
Old 01-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #93
squished18

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:

There is one very large advantage with having GPS on a BlackBerry instead of standalone: Internet connectivity! By having a device with GPS and Internet connectivity, you get benefits that just aren't possible with a standalone unit:

* automatic map updates - you never need to purchase map updates, because the BlackBerry GPS software will always be pulling from the latest database that your software provider is running
* contact list integration - your contact list is in your BB, so with two clicks you can pull up a map or directions to your desired destination
* leveraging other location-aware applications - Google Street View, Wikipedia on Google Maps, Panaramio, Trapster are just a few of the examples of this exploding field of applications

squished
Old 01-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #94
lloydsfm

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinfigs View Post
hmm anyone else using 5.0.4 besides me?
When did 5.0.4 come out? I downloaded and just finished my free 7-day trial last week directly from Garmin and it was only 5.0.2.

I found this version (5.0.2) had issues with overwritting addresses in my contacts list (stripping suite numbers and the last three digits of the Canadian postal code), took unusual routing through the city, and was missing streets near my hourse. When I complained to Garmin, they suggested that I reenter all 500+ of my contacts with the suite numbers in Address line 2 (as Garmin will ignore this line and not rewrite it) and have recorded the postal code problem to be fixed in a future version. I am wondering if this new version 5.0.4 fixes these errors but now my 7-day trial has expired and I cannot test this.

Overall, I found Google Maps 2.3.2 much better as it could use addresses directly from my contact list without the need to move the suite numbers to address line 2, did not change the postal codes, had more recent maps including the missing ones near my house, and uses more direct routing through the city. This main disadvantages I find with GoogleMaps is it does not recalculate the route if I stray too far from it and I have to manually advance the turn-by-turn directions.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #95
bolin

Model: 81+89
PIN: UP!
Carrier: t-mobile.de

the garmin hp says:

Quote:
With a one-time purchase of just $99.99 for the lifetime of your BlackBerry device
ok. 'the lifetime of your BlackBerry'

whats the definition of the lifetime of my bb?
i buy these garmin-app today and have a crash-device-accident tomorrow.

and now?

small written terms? no answer...
faqs? no answer...

any experiences?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #96
btdown
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
When did 5.0.4 come out?
If it's out at all.....it would have had to come out after Jan 26th, as I received an email on that date from support telling me 5.0.2 was the latest/greatest.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:38 PM   #97
SeanH

I am running the 5.0.2 trial on a Bold that I downloaded yesterday OTA from Garmin. I own a Garmin Nuvi 780 and had Garmin Mobile XT on my WM6 based Blackjack II.

The audio quality is horrible compared to the other devices. Other audio like mp3’s and Video clips on the Bold sounds great. I have the audio set at 100% and the audio is not very loud and sounds very muffled.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #98
dwella

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanH View Post
I am running the 5.0.2 trial on a Bold that I downloaded yesterday OTA from Garmin. I own a Garmin Nuvi 780 and had Garmin Mobile XT on my WM6 based Blackjack II.

The audio quality is horrible compared to the other devices. Other audio like mp3’s and Video clips on the Bold sounds great. I have the audio set at 100% and the audio is not very loud and sounds very muffled.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Not me. The sound is quite loud and clear.

d
Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 AM   #99
rockinfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdown View Post
If it's out at all.....it would have had to come out after Jan 26th, as I received an email on that date from support telling me 5.0.2 was the latest/greatest.
5.0.4 is out and ive been using it since beginning of Jan

Last edited by rockinfigs; 02-02-2009 at 04:12 AM..
Old 02-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #100
acmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriem View Post
I have the trial downloaded and working on my Bold. It's great! Just one problem, when I log into my Garmin account online to pay for it, I see they do not sell online to Canada, just the USA. Anyone in Canada been able to purchase this?

thanks.
Can u give me the trial version that worked well on Bold. I wanna try. Thanks
Closed Thread