Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #1
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Default Not so "Good Technology"

Please Login to Remove!

Seems Good Technology is taking a new approach and just went through a sizable RIF: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...firms_layoffs/
Old 09-21-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
ace_2005
No longer Registered.

This goes to show the Good in on the heels of RIMM. When NOKIA launches RIMM will see huge deficits in sales and overall users. Goods approach was to build a huge inside sales force and put a dent into the market. They were very successful landing some huge accounts including Cisco Systems who depicts how the market goes.

Goods Position is like a queen on the chest board and RIMM a KING who is losing all protection and cant withstand this force too much longer. CHECKMATE
Old 09-21-2005, 10:42 AM   #3
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_2005
When NOKIA launches RIMM will see huge deficits in sales and overall users....Goods Position is like a queen on the chest board and RIMM a KING who is losing all protection and cant withstand this force too much longer. CHECKMATE
I wouldn't bet the ranch on either one of these predictions. There are a lot of companies like mine (we're approaching 1,500 BB users) that are very happy with the BlackBerry platform for a lot of reasons.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
ace_2005
No longer Registered.

Talldog are you saying that there has been no inquiring about Goodlink at your company? Every company just about in the US that has over 1000BB is currently switching or they are having issues with some folks who dont want to change because they are so use to their BB. Good Technology is the Microsoft of this market RIMM is the Apple computer. Soon these will catch up with each other just like 3.1 and WIN95 became the standard of Corporate computing!!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Carrier marketing would be a greatly preferable method. They are sort of catching up to RIM where carriers have already marketed RIM before Good for quite some time. Direct marketing is quite annoying sometimes (like spamming)

While there are some floods going to Treo for one reason or another (i.e. a specific software application, or a good feature of Goodlink that RIM isn't adding till 2006, etc), the pie is also growing -- more and more users on both platforms.

In the mid-term (24 months) I highly doubt the marketshare would go dramatically lopsided for many years (i.e. 5%-95%) like the WinTel platform. Mac users are pretty loyal, just like BB users - and Mac is actually a really good platform when you look at it closely, even though I am a WinTel user and don't own Mac. Mac is not 3.1 or Win95 (although MacOS 9 and earlier could be argued as such ), it is nowadays a very advanced GUI on top of a UNIX platform, that Microsoft is slowly copying for Windows Vista. Poor comparision there.

While Goodlink is better than BES in some ways (and vice-vera), there are some rather nice improvements coming to future versions of BES, but some people are not going to be waiting. Frustrated sysadmins are putting big pressure on RIM to improve BES, and you can bet that RIM will deliver, eventually - they're just a bit slow. Yes, RIM will lose some business. But they won't be too slow to let the marketshare fall to 5% in 24 months. Don't forget there are also Fortune 500 companies deploy both Goodlink and BES and plan to stick with both platforms. Also, don't forget consumers that don't use BES or Goodlink, but something that they want from a carrier. Sure, Fortune 500 companies are switching to Goodlink too, affecting marketshare, and the numbers may look like mass exodus if you focus on a few companies, but when you look at the macro picture (worldwide, all situations, companies using both, consumer market, etc), it's not a mass exodus.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 09-21-2005 at 02:37 PM..
Old 09-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #6
RIMarkable
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

Quote:
Talldog are you saying that there has been no inquiring about Goodlink at your company? Every company just about in the US that has over 1000BB is currently switching or they are having issues with some folks who dont want to change because they are so use to their BB. Good Technology is the Microsoft of this market RIMM is the Apple computer. Soon these will catch up with each other just like 3.1 and WIN95 became the standard of Corporate computing!!!!
Ace, I wouldn't go as far to say that every company with a good sized BES deployment is switching to Goodlink. Good doesn't report actual numbers of users, they just tell you the number of Enterprise accounts that they have.

I think what you are noticing is that some very large Fortune 500 companies have signed deals with Good because GoodLink offers features that you just cannot get from BES today. These features are business critical for these organizations so they add a vendor that addresses their need. This doesn't mean that these organizations have switched from BES to GoodLink. In most cases, they have just added GoodLink and run with both.

Just think of it like this. If you buy a space heater because one of the rooms in your house is a bit chilly, you probably won't throw out the furnace that heats the whole house. As Mark said, GoodLink is better than BES in some ways, and, Visa Versa.

Last edited by RIMarkable; 09-21-2005 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

What feature does Good offer that is not offered by RIM?

BES + MDS = no extra cost
Goodlink + Good Access = HUGE additional cost

Where is the benefit in that?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:24 PM   #8
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
BES + MDS = no extra cost
Goodlink + Good Access = HUGE additional cost
While Goodlink is definitely more expensive in many circumstances, isn't BES an extra cost in itself?

You may have meant "no extra cost beyond BES, if you are an Exchange-based organization". Just trying to help you avoid becoming flamebait.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:32 PM   #9
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

finch, I apologize for stating this here, but its worth it for the cause...

ace_2005, you know... you are truly amazing. I just got to reading through some of your posts, from the one where you were concerned about your company switching to GoodLink from BES to the others where you said that I was pro-BB and not telling the truth about upgrading from BES 3.6 to BES 4.0, etc. Oh yeah, I forgot the one where you stated that you worked for one of the largest brokerage companies in the nation.

4/11:
Quote:
I have prevented the sales calls from Good Technology for the past 6 months. Finally they got through to our CIO and convinced him to do a pilot. I am the BES Admin with over 2000 users. Should I be concerned about my future at the company? All of the executives are really pleased with the Goodlink 4.0 and have ordered 200 licenses this week. What should I do to keep my job? Is Good really competing with RIM?
4/11:
Quote:
I support BES for one of the largest mortgage brokers in the country. They want to be able to use the eKEY as well as the multiple listing service at the same time. The BB does not have these capabilities. Will there be a BB device with the ir-port?
4/14:
Quote:
I have just been forced to install GL 4.0 in my network. We have about 2000 users currently on BES. What things should I be weary of? Should I be concerned if more of our upper execs decide to switch? This has been a rough month because I tried everything possible to prevent Goodlink from getting in house and now they are there. Our CIO sees me a someone who wants to protect my job and not be in the best interests of the company. Have any of you experienced this? Should I have allowed our company to demo their product before they went above my head?
7/18:
Quote:
I am curious to know if Cisco Systems is currently using Blackberry. Anyone of you guys know?
8/16:
Quote:
This is seriously a joke. Most of the admins here especially JIBI are pro BB and are giving bad info. Why dont you tell the truth and let these folks know that BES 4.0 is a very tedious task and will require months of planning and other expensive resources.
First off, to answer the latter quote, in my environment, it required a month of testing, a week of meetings, and about 30 minutes for an upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0 in our production environment. The only money spent was none, as the upgrade was free and the same hardware (which was already beefy enough) was used. I have plenty of experience with the upgrade process, which is why I've commented as much. As for being 'pro-BB' what the hell do you think people come to BlackBerryForums.com for? To be told not to use BlackBerry devices and to switch to GoodLink-compatible devices? Get real, bub.

My whole point in this post is that perhaps you should have been one of the people that Good Technology laid off for surfing the internet and posting on forums while on the job.

Pretending that you're someone else, in a situation that you weren't in, all for the purposes of promoting your own product... how pathetic?!

Just a hint, if you want to pretend that you work for a company that you don't and that you are implementing a solution that your actual company designs and manufacturers (in this case, GoodLink), then don't post from your damn company behind your damn company firewall that can easily be traced back to Good Technology.

GOOD TECHNOLOGY GOOD-TEC92-131 (NET-12-175-131-0-1)
12.175.131.0 - 12.175.131.255

Last edited by jibi; 09-21-2005 at 05:35 PM..
Old 09-21-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
jibi
BlackBerry God

Just decided to do a little more digging...

4/14:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith
Currently, my company is all Blackberry but we are looking at GoodLink? So far what I have seen looks good...what should I tell my IT manager?
4/11:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyegotit
I support both and find the Good software easier to admin.....and the costs appear to be in line with RIM.....only difference is when you pay for the service. Good wants it all up front, whereas RIM spreads it out. This mainly has to do with RIM's superior contracts with the carriers. If Good ever gets the same contracts, then I think RIM might be concerned. Until then, I'd say not.
On your 'Please Help' post, 3 employees (assuming they weren't a multiple personality disorder issue of your own, this would have been yourself, the latter poster above and the obvious and known and self-admitted Good_Guy) posted replies to your thread. That's nice. Do they encourage this behaviour of its employees at Good Technology? Just curious.

Last edited by jibi; 09-21-2005 at 05:43 PM..
Old 09-21-2005, 05:41 PM   #11
Bawdygard
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

jibi,

That's just the best I've read in awhile. Now that's entertainment! I'm still LOL...
Old 09-21-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot the one where you stated that you worked for one of the largest brokerage companies in the nation.
That says a lot. I suspected as much, but I'm not surprised. Even if he has no stock position in the company.

Quote:
then don't post from your damn company behind your damn company firewall that can easily be traced back to Good Technology.
Come on, let's be moderators here. As much as I hate spamming, let's not reveal our forum moderating trade secrets.

Well, cat's now out of the bag. Yes, I also see that ace_2005 posted some of his past messages from the Good Technology IP address block too.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 09-21-2005 at 06:05 PM..
Old 09-21-2005, 07:41 PM   #13
yahtzee
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650

This is the best thread i have read since becoming a member here.....my sides hurt right now.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:29 PM   #14
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

About time you nailed the sums of britches I was getting very tired of ace's nonsense already, The unfortunate thing is that they can come back and start their scams all over again. But it is appreciated that they get run out of dodge.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 09-21-2005, 10:06 PM   #15
jibi
BlackBerry God

for the record, i do not nor never have minded any sort of competitors of BlackBerry on these forums. Good_Guy has done the right thing and took the approach of simply correcting misleading or false information concerning the GoodLink product. he was up front about the company he worked for, as well as helping out with information when requested by those users here who were simply curious. he, and anyone else like him, who adds value to the community, even if its adverse to the cause, are more than welcome - i'm sure any and just about all members of this forum would agree, as it simply adds more factual information from both sides of the fence.

however i see there being a HUGE difference in the example of Good_Guy and ace_2005, who has been covert, adverse to the community based on false pretense, and rude to various community members, especially for purposes that actually violate the rules of the forum.

p.s - this isn't an official stance of the site, but rather my own personal view on the subject. i'm sure the other moderators will agree to this, and i'm sure darn near every forum member would as well.

Last edited by jibi; 09-21-2005 at 10:14 PM..
Old 09-22-2005, 07:25 AM   #16
Talldog

Model: 8330

Quote:
First, I don't buy the notion that just about every company over 1,000 users is switching. I don't even think a majority of them are. Yes, our company has looked at Goodlink, but there's nothing they can do for us right now that would make it worth switching, especially since we are a Domino AND Exchange shop. And whatever interest there has been in Goodlink has come from our technical staff (like me), not from our business customers. Don't get me wrong, I think Good Technology is a fine company, but for us, it's about the benefits for our business, not technology for its own sake. As far as being the Microsoft of handhelds, that's more than a little premature
Old 09-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #17
Good_Guy

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Quote:
This goes to show the Good in on the heels of RIMM. When NOKIA launches RIMM will see huge deficits in sales and overall users. Goods approach was to build a huge inside sales force and put a dent into the market. They were very successful landing some huge accounts including Cisco Systems who depicts how the market goes.

Goods Position is like a queen on the chest board and RIMM a KING who is losing all protection and cant withstand this force too much longer. CHECKMATE
While we are on the heels, I dare say calling checkmate is a bit premature. The carrier deals and restructure of our sales group is a huge positive step, but RIMM practically invented this space, were first to market and have a huge share.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #18
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

So Ace... Got anything to add to this thread?

ace_2005
Last Activity: Today 10:53 AM
Viewing Thread Not so "Good Technology" @ 10:53 AM
Old 09-22-2005, 12:22 PM   #19
aristobrat

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

How does it go?

pwn3d?

Is that it? Ugh.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #20
kitmoni

Model: 8130
PIN: >Options>Status

Quote:
Just for fun - I think a little "book learning" (to quote Jed Clampet) might be in order for you Ace. You don't play CHESS on a CHEST board last I checked. I think CHEST is a different game altogether. Wonder why so many Good employees got wacked, seems they had the best and brightest...
Closed Thread