Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360
Carrier: Sprint
Default Blackberry Pearl 8130 vs Mogul by HTC

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a Nextel user wanting to move over to Sprint. I currently have the blackberry 7100i. I checked all the pda/smartphones available for sprint and these 2 stood out to me. They both have the email push technology, which I really want. I just wanted to get everyones opinion on which is the best choice? Of course the main difference I see is the rate plan as blackberry requires the blackberry plan ontop of the phone plan. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Pearl is lighter, smaller device with a better battery. The mogul is great if you like touch screens or Windows Mobile. If you do not want to pay for a data plan and just use an organizer, get the Mogul. While the blackberry plan is $30 for Sprint, you get the most features out of it. Unlimited TeleNav, Unlimited Messaging, Unlimited Email, Unlimited Web Browsing, Sprint TV Basic Unlimited, etc. The Push on the Blackberry is the best in the business, keep that in mind, but it requires the use of a Blackberry Data Plan ($30). I think if you switch to the Mogul you will sorely miss your BB. I usually ask one question to every sales associate that asks about the two devices, "Does your home PC ever lock up?". Thats generally all i have to say.

Compare Phones (Phone Scoop)

While there are some misconceptions on phonescoop about PDA integrations in the blackberry (it says no, while looking at the strict definition the blackberry IS a pda) that list shows the features. For the record, I have never seen anyone get 5+ hours of talk time on a mogul, though i have used my pearl for over 4, and with GPS for several hours in a day and still had a good 30-35% battery left

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 02-06-2008 at 09:53 AM..
Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Even when you go to Sprint's Website and compare the two devices, you see their stats on the mogul differ than PS. It shows the blackberry way out ahead in terms of features, and half the price. The only software feature out of the box that makes the mogul attractive is MS Office file editing. The only realistic one of those that people use the most would be the Word Editing. For the difference in price, you can buy EOffice from Dynoplex, and still save yourself $30. Not to mention going to the blackberry website, you can trade in your old 7100 and get a check from RIM.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
Even when you go to Sprint's Website and compare the two devices, you see their stats on the mogul differ than PS. It shows the blackberry way out ahead in terms of features, and half the price. The only software feature out of the box that makes the mogul attractive is MS Office file editing. The only realistic one of those that people use the most would be the Word Editing. For the difference in price, you can buy EOffice from Dynoplex, and still save yourself $30. Not to mention going to the blackberry website, you can trade in your old 7100 and get a check from RIM.
How much do you get in a trade-in? When I upgrade phones I usually sell the old one on ebay or craigslist.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Sprint only has the pearl in Red or Amesthyst. I was told its similar to purple. WOuld this be inappropriate for a guy? LoL. I really want teh pearl.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldie View Post
Sprint only has the pearl in Red or Amesthyst. I was told its similar to purple. WOuld this be inappropriate for a guy? LoL. I really want teh pearl.
Wait....my friend picked up a black one from Sprint about 3 months ago. Are you sure those are the only colors?

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 02-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Well online those are the only colors available. I wanted to purchase the phone on their site because they will be able to just bill me the charges and I'll pay for it at the end of the month. Can a local store bill the charges to my account?

Old 02-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

the black is actually the amethyst, its a very very dark purple, near black
Old 02-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
the black is actually the amethyst, its a very very dark purple, near black
So its not girly? LoL. If its a dark purple almost black looking then I'm okay with that.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

everyone thinks its black, but it is in fact dark purple. most wont notice unless you hand them your device, then you are on your own
Old 02-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
everyone thinks its black, but it is in fact dark purple. most wont notice unless you hand them your device, then you are on your own
...thats what I'm afraid of. People like to inspect things closely. I was thinking of the 8830 but it doesn't have the features the 8130 has. There are cases for the Pearl right? LoL

Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #12
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Does the Mogul and 8130 have simcards?

Closed Thread