Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #21
trax95008
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Make sure you use the loader.exe in the same folder as the vendor file instead of trying to upgrade the OS using DM like I did. It will frustrate you to no end...
hes NOT upgrading. please dont confuse him. just follow my instructions
Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #22
tcestes
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
hes NOT upgrading. please dont confuse him. just follow my instructions
Actually...I did upgrade tonight. I could never locate the files in
c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\<os>\java. The only OS that was there was my OS from my 8310, which I deleted.

Long story short, I hooked up and started DM and it asked me if I wanted to update, so I said why the heck not. Current OS is 5.0.0.405.

No problems with the OS update and everything was restored sucessfully and is operating ok.

HOWEVER, I'm still plagued with this pesky problem of not getting notification of new voicemails AND Visual Voicemail is still on the phone.

After I upgraded the OS using DM, I checked in program files\common files\research in motion\shared\loader files and my current OS is not located there, actually nothing is.

Looking through other folders, I found some VVM files under C:\Documents and Settings\User1\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader Cache\5f67c85b769609056f6138de89eab687161bc823\Jav a

I tried cutting the VVM files out of this folder and moving to another folder temporarily. Opened up DM again, ran app loader, and it has Visual Voicemail greyed out and it was checked. So I unchecked it, finished running app loader, and its still there.

What did I do wrong?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #23
trax95008
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

the problem is that.... YOUR NOT FOLLOWING MY DIRECTIONS!!! you need to INSTALL the OS to your PC. you used the wrong method to update your OS. now, use the link i gave you earlier and down load .405, INSTALL it to your PC. Then, you will find the folder i directed you to. search and delete all VVM files you find, and run app loader. the reason your not finding the folder is because you haven't installed it yet. if you want to edit your OS, you have to install it, then edit it. you cant use the automatic method that you used. that wont give you the opportunity to edit it
Old 03-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #24
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Please - follow the instructions to the letter. You are screwing around and wasting a lot of time.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #25
tcestes

Not screwing around, thank you. Just didn't understand. I'll download the OS and install tonight. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #26
Rhyalus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

When I was running 4.6, I had no problems running 10 apps plus with the VVM core stuff in there. Much ado about nothing, I think here.

Also, VVM is a great tool. I just deactivated my youmail acct now that this is working in the 5.0 OS on my Bold 9000.

How can you not like accessing your vmail in the order which you want, without making a phone call?

Regards,

R
Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #27
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Even if you get all the vvm files off, I'm not sure how to get the old notifications back. You may need to call your carrier again as it's possible that they didn't get you restored back to the old system properly.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #28
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900

If you signed up for VVM with your carrier then you should let them know you're not using it and switching back to regular VM. Making the switch on the phone is simple: just go into settings/phone options and click on call forwarding. All your conditional forwarding numbers will be logged (should only be 2 unless like me you tried a few of the other voice mail services like YouMail and Phone Fusion). Just set it back to the original one that came with your phone (probably the only local number in the list), save it, and you're all set.

But if you're using VVM, I don't think you'd ever want to switch back.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #29
tcestes

Ok here's an update. First off, thanks to everyone that helped. And to clear things up a bit, the reason I did the auto-update using DM is I didn't understand how the OS would get onto my pc exactly. I thought it would copy over when I did the update using DM. But now I know.

So using trax95008's link he provided, I downloaded my current OS to my pc. Went and found all of the VVM files and moved them to a temp folder (just in case something screwed up). Started up DM and ran App Loader and it started removing VVM.

Phone rebooted and came back up. Bingo, now I have notifications again for voicemail.

The only thing I could figure out is perhaps my phone never could figure out that I had swapped from VVM back to basic VM. The people on the phone at ATT were clueless, had no idea how to fix it. They had already moved me back over to regular VM and deleted my VM account and had me set it up again several times.

I guess its just a matter of opinion as to whether or not you like VVM. It was neat getting my msgs in my inbox, but at my house I don't have 3G and have a very sporadic internet signal on my phone. So there was a good deal of lag time between when someone would leave me a msg and when I would actually get it. Seemed like it took forever to download it.

Anyways, glad my regular vm is back up and running and thanks again for all the help!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #30
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900

Glad to hear it's working the way you want again.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #31
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by duane534 View Post
Visual Voicemail is free with a qualifying smartphone data plan. If you pay $30 a month and (in this case) run BB 5.0, you can get it, 8900s included. Just gotta find someone who knows the system well enough to add it. (It wasn't directly in our training.)
Not in Canada it's not. They charge $8.00/month on Bell for that crappy feature.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 04-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #32
okader
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: At&t

I noticed a better battery performence after removing v v m. Did any one notice that or its just me imagining things.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #33
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I noticed no change in battery life after installing VMM and am still using it.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #34
okader
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
If you are adventurous, you can delete all sort of files from

c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\<os>\java

Visual Voice Mail
The preloaded movies
My Faves (for T-Mobile customers)
I also delete VAD - voice activated dialing - as I never use it

JUST BE CAREFUL and don't delete something you actually need.

And if you do, just reinstall the handheld OS to your PC to put all the pieces back

If you look at John Clark's memory optimization thread, a lot of this is from that excellent piece of work.
which .cod file is for the preloaded movies, the 2 preloaded songs and for the preloaded pictures?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #35
okader
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I noticed no change in battery life after installing VMM and am still using it.
thanks for the reply.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #36
JBenn911

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Bringing back an old thread to say THANKS!! Just recently came back to the BB fold from iPhone....Couldnt for the life of me get voicemail notifications to work and wasnt paying for VVM....The fix was quick and perfect..THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!!
Closed Thread