Old 02-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #41
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
They are all currently crap bacause there is all this technology and apart from tethering as a modem, no real applicatin for the technology.
Quote:
I do wish my 8310 was 3g though as I do use the browsing on it quite often, and my 8707 is much faster.
So there's no real application for the tech but you want it for faster browsing? I must have misread your post... There's never really such a thing as too much speed or too much space with tech.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #42
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
I really question the 400 reading. Everything I have read and heard says absolute max is 384. Close to 400, but not quite. I don't think many of the speed tests are not very reliable for cells either, especially if a proxy server is involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybaCowboy View Post
384KB/s is the maximum not 400KB/s, though keep in mind that this is the "theoretical" maximum speed supported by EDGE... It's unlikely you'll ever get these speeds in practice though.

I didn't read through it, but Wikipedia seems to have quite a good little article on EDGE...
Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dubdub and CybaCowboy, you guys SHOULD read that Wikipedia article that Cyba links above. You guys are wrong and Sith_Apprentice is correct - the EDGE theoretical maximum is 473.6Kb/sec.
Quote:
Transmission techniques

In addition to Gaussian minimum-shift keying (GMSK), EDGE uses higher-order PSK/8 phase shift keying (8PSK) for the upper five of its nine modulation and coding schemes. EDGE produces a 3-bit word for every change in carrier phase. This effectively triples the gross data rate offered by GSM. EDGE, like GPRS, uses a rate adaptation algorithm that adapts the modulation and coding scheme (MCS) according to the quality of the radio channel, and thus the bit rate and robustness of data transmission. It introduces a new technology not found in GPRS, Incremental Redundancy, which, instead of retransmitting disturbed packets, sends more redundancy information to be combined in the receiver. This increases the probability of correct decoding.

EDGE can carry data speeds up to 236.8 kbit/s for 4 timeslots (theoretical maximum is 473.6 kbit/s for 8 timeslots) in packet mode and will therefore meet the International Telecommunications Union's requirement for a 3G network, and has been accepted by the ITU as part of the IMT-2000 family of 3G standards. It also enhances the circuit data mode called HSCSD, increasing the data rate of this service.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #43
crossbones
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2525A4A3
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
So there's no real application for the tech but you want it for faster browsing? I must have misread your post... There's never really such a thing as too much speed or too much space with tech.
Sorry wasn't very clear there, I meant to say apart from browsing and tethering as a modem!! Essentailly the same thing. The reason I find the 8707 slightly better for browsing is the improves upload speeds you get with 3g. means you dont sit for ages with it saying requesting while it resolves the hostname.

By applications of the tech I mean from a phone point of view. EG no one really wants to use video calling, or LBS services at the moment, (GPS no included in that as I still think the maps should be included on a card not by the internet) and as it was said previously, the email delivery is slightly slower due to the packet decoding upon receipt.

It will become the norm though, as the majority of the faster data services are deriviatives of 3g, mostly using the CN5 network protocals that Voda are rolling out in the background that will eventually make all 2g services obsolete.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:29 AM   #44
CybaCowboy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: 21445DCA
Carrier: Telstra Australia

Quote:
They are all currently crap bacause there is all this technology and apart from tethering as a modem, no real applicatin for the technology.
So Internet browsing (on the cell phone), mobile TV and video-calling aren't "real" applications for 3G/3.5G/UMTS technologies?

Mobile TV are video-calling are quickly picking-up pace in most countries outside of North America, and surfing the Internet from a cell phone is expected to explode as the Apple iPhone and similar products become more widely available - already there are countless articles online claiming that Internet browsing from a cell phone has increased by 50-100%+ since the iPhone's release in the States, and this is a trend that is expected to continue globally...

Quote:
EDGE is crap btw, none of the UK networks have bothered with it because the speed difference is so little its not worth the investment.
I must admit, I was quite surprised at the speed of EDGE - it's a lot faster than I expected it to be, although this may be my BlackBerry Curve 8300's browser and not the EDGE network itself...

In comparison to even the slowest 3G/UMTS speeds though, EDGE is painfully slow - besides, globally, most carriers have skipped EDGE completely and gone straight for 3G/UMTS or better.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:13 AM   #45
crossbones
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2525A4A3
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybaCowboy View Post
So Internet browsing (on the cell phone), mobile TV and video-calling aren't "real" applications for 3G/3.5G/UMTS technologies?
see my post above yours.

Video calling is a waste of time. Once the novelty wears off its really not very good. Mobile TV, ok granted could be good. However my experience of it so far has been the carriers still only provide short clips. I can see Youtube being a good idea, but thats still not here yet. And I was talking about current applications, of which youtube on phones isn't still here yet. Youtube mobile doesn't count as its all cut down videos, and is only compatible on a few devices.

HSDPA I wasn't talking about, it was 3g, as in UMTS. HSDPA is going to be the future, its theoreticl speeds with the current technology is 8Mb/s downloads which is more than my current home broadband speed!

What I'd like to see it used for is things like Gaming. As the phones get more powerful, I'd love to see online multiplayer games throught the phone/pda itself!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:20 PM   #46
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Edge vs evdo surfing downloading I notice a difference evdo is faster.
It's my understanding, in addition to the obvious, EVDO is optimized for Data Only which is more efficient when it comes to latency, dropped packets etc... This is a huge advantage but also means no WiFi audio.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #47
rvpartsguy06

PIN: 244858DB
Carrier: ATT

i have At&T and 3g is available in my area....unfortunately the curve is not 3g capable

oh well...still love the phone
Closed Thread