BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
wheeler

Default MDS Configuration Issue - cannot view WML sites

Please Login to Remove!

The problem is that from my Blackberry 7750, I can view HTML webpages without any problems but cannot view WML pages. When I go to a WML site, I get the following error message:

Transcoder[vnd.wap.wml] can not be loaded to transcode content of type [text/vnd.wap.wml].

I am having the same problem on RIM 957 devices as well (tried 3 different devices).

We have been directed by RIM support to reinstall MDS which we did but the problem continued. We were then told to reinstall Java and then MDS which we did but the problem persists.

Any suggestions on what to do next would be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

Hmm, have you tried changing the content mode using the RBRO hack?
It seems like your setting are set on HTML only sites.

Also, I dont believe a 950/957 can access WAP pages, as they dont have any support for them
Old 08-18-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
wheeler

Default MDS Issue

Thanks for the suggestion. Comments below...

-- not really a device specific issue - this is standard BES/MDS functionality. It is just that for some reason it does not fully work on this particular implementation.

Also, I dont believe a 950/957 can access WAP pages, as they dont have any support for them

--With MDS enabled, the 950 and 957 devices can view WML only sites.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
bb_tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Re: MDS Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler
Thanks for the suggestion. Comments below...

-- not really a device specific issue - this is standard BES/MDS functionality. It is just that for some reason it does not fully work on this particular implementation.

--With MDS enabled, the 950 and 957 devices can view WML only sites.
Did you do as RIM suggested and upgrade to SP3?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:57 AM   #5
wheeler

Default MDS issue and upgrade

Thanks for the comment about the completing the upgrade to SP3. We have not done the upgrade yet for a couple of reasons.

1. We know that MDS does not require SP3 to work.
2. The upgrade has not been fully tested internally and we cannot deploy it unless it has been approved by the operations team.

If there is a way to upgrade MDS to SP3 without possibly affecting the core functionality of BES, let me know.

My guess is the solution to the problem will be simple once it is identified. I'm thinking this is a lot like trying to support a printer that isn't printing and the question most often overlooked is "Is the printer on?"

Could it be something simple as a MIME type entry for WML needs to be created?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
bb_tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Re: MDS issue and upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler
Thanks for the comment about the completing the upgrade to SP3. We have not done the upgrade yet for a couple of reasons.

1. We know that MDS does not require SP3 to work.
2. The upgrade has not been fully tested internally and we cannot deploy it unless it has been approved by the operations team.

If there is a way to upgrade MDS to SP3 without possibly affecting the core functionality of BES, let me know.

My guess is the solution to the problem will be simple once it is identified. I'm thinking this is a lot like trying to support a printer that isn't printing and the question most often overlooked is "Is the printer on?"

Could it be something simple as a MIME type entry for WML needs to be created?
There are a lot of known issues fixed in SP3 and I can provide a link to the release notes if you like. It may not be the definately solution but it is worth a try. I also realize it has not been tested internally and a lot of companies just don't jump at upgrading to different service packs. Have you taken a look at your proxy config yet just to rule that out?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:43 AM   #7
wheeler

Default MDS and proxy

We have ruled out the proxy server issue by installing the WinWAP browser and using the same proxy server address. We are going to install SP3 tonight. I'm trying to be optimistic.
Closed Thread