Old 01-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
moemar

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido
Default Blackberry or iphone?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys,

I purchased a blackberry curve 8310 a few days ago and I love it. The only concern the I have is the expensive data plans that we have here in Canada. I am a Fido user and I decided to go with $40 7MB BB Data plan. I am a very casual BlackBerry user who uses the device manly for browsing and entertainment services. I know this is a blackberry website but i would like to ask this question; for a casual phone user, what would be the better choice, the blackberry or the iphone? with the iphone i can sign up for an $18 value pack that includes 12mb of surfing, voice mail, 2500 text messages and call display. Like I stated earlier, im a huge BB fan. Is it possible that i might like the iphone better? Waiting to read your thoughts.

Regards,
Moe
Old 01-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Since this is a BB forum, just about everyone will pick the BB and "expensive" dataplan. But in reality, you are the only one who can make that decision.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
moemar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Since this is a BB forum, just about everyone will pick the BB and "expensive" dataplan. But in reality, you are the only one who can make that decision.
Thanks for the reply Dubdub, my intentions were to get a few pros and cons for both devices to help me make my decision. Well, reverse my decision. LOL. I already purchased the Curve, it just seems the iphone would've been a more logical decision for my needs. I guess?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Rogers is ridiculous!! And RIM IS in Canada too!
Old 01-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
zGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

Logically, posting such question here would be counterproductive. My 2 cents: do some research and ask less biased people. My only gripe about the iPhone is actually about the carrier: AT&T. I never liked that company. With the Blackberry you are not stuck with one carrier. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Personally, I love the iphone's web-browsing. However, I can not stand the texting on the touchscreen. Everyone else is right though, you have to make the decision on what best suits your needs. If you are going to have to unlock the iphone to be able to use it under your network, I would not recommend that either. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

I believe only in France (it's the law there; phones can not be blocked: Good deal for customers!) that you can get a genuinely unlocked iPhone (buying it would cost you up to $1000 ~ I kid you not). Here in the US there's an Apple patch so an "unlocked" iPhone will be locked once connected.

Last edited by zGuy; 01-25-2008 at 05:43 PM..
Old 01-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemar View Post
Thanks for the reply Dubdub, my intentions were to get a few pros and cons for both devices to help me make my decision. Well, reverse my decision. LOL. I already purchased the Curve, it just seems the iphone would've been a more logical decision for my needs. I guess?
Dubdub and the others are right, in my opinion. Pros and cons really depend on what you need from the device. They serve different purposes, or maybe different priorities is a more accurate meaning. Hope the Curve works for you.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
jgibb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: 319EBD2F
Carrier: Verizon

Been there done the iphone and sold and got a curve lack of mms drove me crazy and you could not expand the memory. When 4.3 or what ever is next comes available I think you will be able to expande to as much memory as the iphone. And you have to stay with itunes which I hated also not video cam. Basicly compared to the bb iphone is no more than a toy. I didn't feel it did as much as the bb and not as much freedom. Also the price for the iphone I believe is the full price now look at the full price of the bb. I say just stay with bb you'll be a lot happier.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

PIN: 2434CB8D
Carrier: AT&T

Perhaps a good way to consider the pros and cons of each phone is to consider their strengths and weaknesses. Consider what they actualy mean to you.

With the BlackBerry, you have a perfect email experience. Push email is a thing of beauty, but you don't sound like you're using that anyway. BlackBerry has some extremely good professional applications, such as TodoMatrix, WorldMate Live, Ascendo DataVault, and so on. JiveTalk is a very good way to stay in communication with friends weather they are on MSN, AIM, or YIM.

In the case of music and video you have less than perfect software. The video player is pretty good. I have watched a whole movie on it. And the music ap could use a lot more refining.

On the iPhone, the web experience is it's best strength. Email is okay, but not as reliable, or as fast as push email. But it's not bad either. It certainly has a good looking interface, but the way you have to go into and back out of each mail box when using multiple email addresses is far less than perfect.

The Video and Music on the iPhone are both top notch. It is easy to use, easy to manage, and easy to manage. I wrote that twice because it really does go beyond easy. Both the iTunes and the iPhone have excellent interfaces for music and video. You will not be disappointed there.

In my opinion, it's like this. If email is your number one app, following by professional business applications, then BlackBerry is the choice.

If you love web browsing, MP3s and Movies, and then email, then perhaps the iPhone is the better choice.

What do I own? A BlackBerry 8310. I have an iPod Nano for music and video. Also I have a Zune, which if all you want is music and no video, is the better device.

Best,

Alex

Last edited by Alex Alexzander; 01-25-2008 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: .
Old 01-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

I had an iphone and sold it. The only thing it does better is the multimedia and it looks sexy. for everything else the curve beats it hands down. The Curve is a much better messaging device. I also hate the way apple and ATT lock them down. You can't even use antoher ATT sim chip in the iphone wo unlocking etc. nightmare.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #12
PARAZZI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

I have owned an iPhone and I must say one of the BEST features about it, is the internet.But, other than that it is just I got bored of it really fast and ended up selling it, which now I am looking to buy a BB Curve 8320. Like everyone said, it is really up to you and what you really looking for. Hope that helps, if you have any more questions I would be more than happy to help.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:47 PM   #13
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

keep in mind the iphone has finished last in typing in just about EVERY comparison, while the blackberry finishes first. Touchscreens although nice, do not give the same tactile response, and generally are not nearly as accurate as actual buttons. Having used an iphone and a blackberry, i have a strong dislike for the navigation on the iphone. Granted, I am biased, I hate all touch screens equally. Also, just about everything the iphone does, with the exception of the wifi, touchscreen, and tilting screen feature, can all be done on the blackberry, and more.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
bones4u

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I too have used both, and have left the iphone for the blackberry. The iphone was a cool phone to use, with great multimedia. But the email and the "just works" style of the blackberry is why I stuck to it.

If email is not your primary need, you may be pleasantly surprised with the iphone.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #15
moemar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBerryCurve8300 View Post
Personally, I love the iphone's web-browsing. However, I can not stand the texting on the touchscreen. Everyone else is right though, you have to make the decision on what best suits your needs. If you are going to have to unlock the iphone to be able to use it under your network, I would not recommend that either. Good luck!
Why is it a bad idea to unlock an iphone?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #16
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900

It can mess with the software where you will not be able to upgrade to the newest software.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #17
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

it could brick the device. Apple doesnt want them unlocked and usually does whatever they can to keep their products as is. As for the "email only" device, the blackberry has really come of age as much more than that. Whenever i teach someone about the device, email is the last thing i talk about, because thats all anyone EVER thinks about.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #18
cellguy

Model: 9800
PIN: 25F09CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBerryCurve8300 View Post
Gotta agree here, I have an iTouch (basically same as iPhone without the phone, lol). Love the browsing, hate data input. I do a lot of email on my BB and can't imagine being nearly as productive on an iPhone.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #19
rwireless
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell

I hate my iphone and it will be on ebay soon... I have my work BB and will need to replace my personal phone... not sure how cool I'd be walking around with two BB's I`ll look like batman.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #20
joey3002

Carrier: tmobile

the major feature that iphone didnt have that my wife HAD TO HAVE was MMS. I dont understand how anyone can bring a phone like that out without the ability to send a picture to someone..
Closed Thread