Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 PM   #41
PastorSteve

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
There is no back button. Sorry - but good for you for taking time to check out both. Have the Storm now - much easier to use! It does edit Works, Excel and Power Point, plus it obviously handles those documents. However, you cannot create docs on the Storm. BUT let's all face it - you're not probably going to do that anyway. All in all the user interface, touch screen, battery life and general usage as a phone are much better on the Storm. I would know I used to own an Omnia.
I am mistaken you can create docs - you need to upgrade the preinstalled versions of Docs to Go to premium to do so. Sorry
Old 12-18-2008, 12:32 AM   #42
dtm

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
Good question. Simply "hover" in the line of text. When the courser changes to a "box", slide your finger left or right to move to your desire location in the line. Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for the response. I'll try this next time I go into a Verizon store. My NE2 date is early January, so I have until then to make a decision. Sounds like software updates have fixed a lot of the early Storm problems, so I'll probably go that direction. Too bad Samsung decided against selling the T*Omnia in the United States, which has 800x480 resolution and a larger overall screen....would have made the decision even more difficult
Old 12-21-2008, 02:52 AM   #43
payo1979

Model: 9530
Thumbs down Samsung Omnia??? More like Samsung "Ominous"

Hello everyone, I'm the non-proud owner of a Samsung Omnia. I've only had it for 5 days and am hating it more and more everyday. I've turned to good ol' Google University to find some reviews between the Storm and the Omnia and stumbled across this awesome forum.
Well, I guess I can name a few of the issues I've encountered with my Omnia. The screen can be rather hesitant at times causing you to click on an option twice thus making the phone act in ways you did NOT intend. I'll have to agree with many of you in that there are certain screens where the options are so small you need a stylus. Although the phone does come with a stylus (looks like a make-up applicator, btw) I opt not to use it as it would require me to carry extra junk I don't need (or have room for)!!
When in portrait mode, I find myself mistyping words frequently in FULL qwerty mode. I did however, find some message typing videos on youtube (regarding the Storm) and found that it's a lot easier to type messages. Another point I'll have to agree with that certain ppl mentioned is how difficult it is to use the side scroll bar. You definitely need the stylus or some newborn's nails to move the scroll bar.
Last but not least is the BATTERY LIFE on this thing. I swear I charge this phone all night long. On the way to work I'll talk to my girl for about 30 minutes and I've already lost ONE bar!! When I arrive to work, I'll text friends (about 30-50 text mssgs) at which point lunch time rolls around. I usually spend my entire lunch period (1 hour) talking with friends. By the time lunch ends my phone is already ALERTING me that I need to charge the DAMN phone. Pretty sad. . . even for a "smart" phone!! For further reference and testimonials regarding this specific issue, please refer to this site:
http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&vi...aCEJBf1qUObqFA

All in all I think I'll be changing my phone to the Storm before my 30 days are up.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #44
oliethegoalie99

Model: ?

PastorSteve, Thank you for your reply! I really like the storm, as said earlier, and in my opinon, the storm is better than the omnia. Your information is very useful! That is really cool that you can edit Word, Excel and Powerpoint and as to not being able to create docs, I am almost positive that I wouldn't create one one my phone lol, like you said. Thank you again and I appreciate all your information!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #45
innovator1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

dtm, referring to your earlier question about how to edit a line of text on the Storm...

Thanks PastorSteve for following up on this for me... Sorry I missed the chance to give you the same answer, dtm...

Last edited by innovator1; 12-21-2008 at 08:53 PM..
Old 12-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #46
jresdios

Model: 17569

bought a storm today and it is to arrive by friday. i will post my pros and cons upon receipt of the package. on a side note my local Verizon store was having issues with both of the Omnia demos. the manager i overheard saying that the one smelled like it was hot and something was melting inside. that didn't exactly hurt my decision for choosing the BB, but it was a long thought out decision prior.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #47
dtm

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator1 View Post
dtm, referring to your earlier question about how to edit a line of text on the Storm...

Thanks PastorSteve for following up on this for me... Sorry I missed the chance to give you the same answer, dtm...
No problem, appreciate the follow-up. Since posting, have made the decision to go with the Storm, and will be picking one up right after Christmas. Thanks to everyone for their quick feedback and great ideas.

How refreshing this forum is after trying to get answers from the multitude of kids on Crackberry. These two forums are like night and day. Appreciate everyone's great attitude here.

Happy Holidays to all.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #48
tynitty

Model: 9500

Reasons to go with the Storm over the Omnia

1. Capacitive screen similar to the Iphone lets you scroll with ease no accidental button pushes in your pocket
2. Windows OS is horrible its presentation looks outdated making apps look ancient. Blackberry OS on the storm was laggy at first but the updates have made the phone outstanding. Windows laggy OS will never improve
3. APPS windows apps always cost money and slow your phone down dramatically. Where as the storm apps look great thanks to JAVA. the AP and WSJ apps look amazing and there will be an App store opening soon
4.design the design of the Samsung omnia looks just like Behold, Eternity and delve hardly innovative
5. EMAIL the Blackberry is the undisputed champion when it comes to corporate email GroupWise, outlook it will do all the Omnias email is hard to navigate without the stylus
6. The Blackberry Storms community is far more vast then Samsung Omnias anything you need and anything new is just a Forum away
Old 12-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #49
dtm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynitty View Post
Reasons to go with the Storm over the Omnia

1. Capacitive screen similar to the Iphone lets you scroll with ease no accidental button pushes in your pocket
2. Windows OS is horrible its presentation looks outdated making apps look ancient. Blackberry OS on the storm was laggy at first but the updates have made the phone outstanding. Windows laggy OS will never improve
3. APPS windows apps always cost money and slow your phone down dramatically. Where as the storm apps look great thanks to JAVA. the AP and WSJ apps look amazing and there will be an App store opening soon
4.design the design of the Samsung omnia looks just like Behold, Eternity and delve hardly innovative
5. EMAIL the Blackberry is the undisputed champion when it comes to corporate email GroupWise, outlook it will do all the Omnias email is hard to navigate without the stylus
6. The Blackberry Storms community is far more vast then Samsung Omnias anything you need and anything new is just a Forum away
All great points, although I don't think we can say for certain that WIndows Mobile will always be slow and antiquated...new versions are on the way and they might finally get it right....but I am now committed to the Storm, mine shows up on Friday!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #50
MericR

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default You speak of iPhone killers

Me personally... I don't think there needs to be a touted "iPhone killer". I think iPhone will personally do that to themselves. After having one for 28 days and getting rid of it because of it's poor performance on :

Dropped calls (consecutively and throughout day)
Locking up
Speaker phone volume
NO COPY PASTE
terrible battery life

..this was not just with mine but my wife's as well. I spent over 8 hours in that 4 week period with tech support, customer care, apple.. screw that

blah blah blah... I've had a Pearl and a Curve... and I came back to a Bold. The iPhone definitely has some nice features but on a whole.. I'll take a BB anyday!

...too bad the Storm doesn't have WiFi or larger memory capacity... bad engineering Blackberry!!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #51
andrewfay

PIN: 30512751

I had the storm for 29 days, and got upset with a known video bug (you cannot take 2 videos within the same minute. The 2nd video will not be saved because the naming convention uses a timedatestamp) - so then I returned it. It also had one of those screens that didn't respond well, so I had the cut up piece of business card under the battery to help the responsiveness. I was just frustrated with the OS and a couple of minor things, so I traded it in for the Omnia. Then I headed on a trip across country and had plenty of car time with it. It has great features and looks great on paper. But it was the worst (smartphone) week of my life. THe windows OS hasn't changed much at all. I had a Samsung i730 3 years ago, and traded that in for a Blackberry after about 6 months. The new Omnia still comes with a stylus, if that tells you anything. It also touts an FM radio, which sounds great. But you have to have the headphone adapter plugged in to use as your antenna for it to even work. And is has to be their special converter plug - why couldn't they accept the standard headphones??? The screen is ok, but the responsiveness was difficult to get used to after the storm. The storm with the touch, swipe, and click functionality is much easier compared to the Omnia. It had a hard time figuring out what I was trying to do. And the browser zoom was very difficult. The most annoying thing was the lack of the escape key. How do you go back 1 function. The only option was trying to tap the tiny OK in the top right of the screen, or going back to the home screen. The keyboard was ok, but the space bar was in the bottom right - very odd. It has a lot of neat stuff, but switching from any blackberry to the Windows OS is difficult. Dialing from contacts isn't the same. No back key. Screwy headphone adapters, stylus, and the list goes on. I wasn't very impressed with the camera either. It was not as quick or responsive as I had hoped for a 5 megapixel should be, and several pictures were blurry. Also, e-mail requires the input of the outgoing e-mail address, and that can be difficult with some work or regional e-mail carriers; i.e. Charter.net requires you are attached to their network to send e-mail with their server. Impossible to do while connected through the Verizon network. Blackberry is just much easier to use - and the Storm is still my preferred device, even with the few OS downfalls and hardware issues it has had. I traded the Omnia back in for the Storm and am anxiously awaiting the OS upgrades along with everyone else.

The Omnia is only the device for you if you love windows OS pda's, don't mind the stylus, proprietary headphone adapters, and weird keyboard.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #52
andrewfay

PIN: 30512751

I also forgot the horrible screen resolution compared to the storm & the speaker doesn't hold a candle to the storm. I had a bluetooth wireless handsfree speakerphone for my older BB, but sold it when the Storm came along - it just isn't needed anymore. But you can hardly have a speakerphone conversation with the Omnia, unless you are in a closed quiet room - no way while driving down a busy road.

I also forget to mention the horrible battery life. The phone lasted for about 4 hours, and then I had to charge it. I fully charged it, and it lasted for another 4 hours, and as soon as I put in the car charger I started to get battery low errors. The car charger only seemed to charge if the phone wasn't being used at all. It was a constant pain through my entire trip. Very disappointing vs. the Storm. I did use the wi-fi, but this was a huge battery drain and was a decision based on how important the wi-fi time was versus the drain. This isn't a choice you should need to consider when wanting to use a function on your phone.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #53
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild satchmo View Post
In my opinion I see the windows mobile OS as a negative.
Me too; I can tell you, there is little to no interest in Windows Mobile phones in the stores these days.

I had to laugh, because I see a lot of people praising the Omnia because of it's looks and supposed capabilities, but try using that touch screen; when I set ours up in our store, I was ready to poke a hole through the screen because it was so unresponsive. And email delivery is nowhere as fast.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #54
SpectreBlofeld
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630

Windows Mobile will continue to lose marketshare so long as they try to make it look like the desktop version of Windows. The screen's just too damn small to fit in a start menu, title bars with a tiny X in the corner, tiny scroll bars, etc. They need to reevaluate the idea of a touch-based interface.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #55
Christie83
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Atrix
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreBlofeld View Post
Windows Mobile will continue to lose marketshare so long as they try to make it look like the desktop version of Windows. The screen's just too damn small to fit in a start menu, title bars with a tiny X in the corner, tiny scroll bars, etc. They need to reevaluate the idea of a touch-based interface.
Totally agree with that. That turns me off almost instantly.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #56
Fleabeast

Carrier: T-Mobile

I have a question regarding GPS with the BB Storm and the Samsung Omnia. My understanding is that the GPS in the Storm is unlocked and can be used with BB Maps, Google Maps as well as Garmin Mobile. I believe that the GPS in the Samsung Omnia is locked and can only be used with VZN. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:37 AM   #57
gizlaf

Model: storm
Carrier: verizon

Man how do I agree with you. My girlfriend and I bought the Omnia and it was my recommendation coming from the voyager. Let me tell you I am so disappointed it's not funny. We are also shipping back the Omnia for the storm. We have been to the store and played with it and so this is our choice over the Dare, the glyde and the omnia. but we need some better choices.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:38 AM   #58
gizlaf

Model: storm
Carrier: verizon

That's correct
Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #59
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizlaf View Post
Man how do I agree with you. My girlfriend and I bought the Omnia and it was my recommendation coming from the voyager. Let me tell you I am so disappointed it's not funny. We are also shipping back the Omnia for the storm. We have been to the store and played with it and so this is our choice over the Dare, the glyde and the omnia. but we need some better choices.

You may or may not have read this elsewhere, but I am a rep for a corporate VZW Store. I can tell you first hand the only people who are taking the Omnia or Saga home are those who have to have a Windows device for work. I've seen one other customer who did not buy it for work bring it back in disappointment. I'm telling you, people don't even look at the Windows phones.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #60
Jimbo5

Carrier: VZ
Default Charging the Storm

This is my first post on this thread. I have been reading it for about 2 weeks now and bought the Storm about a week ago mostly because of the excellent information that I received from this thread. So thanks to everyone!

I like it a lot, but did have one question. When I charge the battery, the little lightning bolt icon never leaves the battery indicator. Even after about 7hours of charging. I even tried charging it with it off and green light never stopped blinking after the same amount of time. I don't have a battery life issue, but am wondering if I should exchange it for a new one while I am still in the 30 day window.

Is this normal? Thanks.
Closed Thread