Old 12-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
billsif

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile
Cool 8320 TMobible WiFi service questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I currently have Verizon wireless and am considering getting the 8320 from Amazon.com and switching to TMobile. I have a few questions:

I plan on using the following features and am trying to find the most affordable plan:

Voice (around 500 minutes a month total)
Text (around 200 to 500 texts a month)
IM (occasional use)
Email (daily use)
Web (daily use)

1) As far as purchasing the 8320, is this Amazon.com deal the best around ($100 - free after rebates)?

2) I am somewhat interested in the WiFi @ Home service from TMobile which appears to be an additional $19.99 no matter what plan I get. I understand that if I get this plan I can use unlimited WiFi voice minutes. How does this plan affect me if I already have a Blackberry plan with unlimited data (email and web)? Can I still use the Blackberry on my personal WiFi network (or any WiFi hotspot) for unlimited data (as long as TMobile cell network data is covered by my plan)?

3) I'm interested in these plans:

1st plan:
Limited Time Offer Individual Promo 1500 anytime minutes, no nights and weekends, no myfaves: $39.99
+ Unlimited domestic messaging/IM: $14.99
+ Blackberry unlimited add-on (for email and web): $19.99
Total: $75/month

2nd plan:
Blackberry Minutes and Mail 1000 anytime minutes, no nights and weekends, no myfaves: $59.99
(this includes unlimited domestic messaging/IM, email, and web?)
Total: $60/month

Considering I use only about 500 minutes a month total, would the 2nd option be much better? It's the same as the first one (minus the extra 500 voice minutes), right?

4) If I use plan 1 or 2 with TMobile's network I realize I have unlimited IM/messaging/email/web and 1000 (or 1500) voice minutes. If I'm in a WiFi zone and don't have the $19.99 Hotspot@Home service, I can still use WiFi to enhance my connection, and should just watch my voice minutes (because they still count against my monthly minutes) - but as far as using the web or text or email or IM on WiFi, I can use it as much as I want based on my unlimited transfers of those items?

5) Is there a way to get the 2nd plan mentioned above with the amazon.com free 8320 deal? All I see is the option to put together the 1st plan - if I wan't the 2nd plan listed above is there anything I can do?

Any additional relevant information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Bill
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

My usage was similar to yours and I'm on BB Minutes and Mail. I doubled my phone usage since I can now get a signal at my home over wifi, but am still under the 1,000 minutes.

Do not get H@H if you will not use even use the minutes in your plan. The phone works fine over wifi without the plan. You just use your minutes up as if you were calling over the cell network.

If it is not available through Amazon, what I think you can do is call customer service when you get the phone and change the plan then. I was originally on the 1,500 minute plan with a BB data add-on. But late in the first month I noticed the unlimited sms and im with Minutes and Mail.

Tmobile backdated my plan to the first of the month so about 6 sms messages that I would have had to pay for were now covered by the plan. I thought they would just change for the next month on, but the rep said they would backdate it. Cost Tmobile $1 in revenue by doing that, but gained them a very impressed customer.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
pwc realtor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 2421DDCB
Carrier: T-Mobile

I just ordered through Amazon.com as your are going to.

In response to your questions, I called amazon. com with the exact same question and you can only order the plans they offer on their site. Also, pre the terms of the $250 instant rebate, you cannot change your voice or data plan for the first 181 days of your plan.

I talk slighlty more than your situation but also use email and data heavily. I sprung for your option #1. I will add h@H if my usage requires it. My reasoning for adding h@H is that there are limited phones lines at my office so the unlimited wi-fi calling would give an extra phone line to use while at the office and also allowing me to talk unlimited while at home.

Any furhter questions feel free to ask.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwc realtor View Post
I just ordered through Amazon.com as your are going to.

In response to your questions, I called amazon. com with the exact same question and you can only order the plans they offer on their site. Also, pre the terms of the $250 instant rebate, you cannot change your voice or data plan for the first 181 days of your plan.
snip
Ugh, you're right, things that result in having to repay the $250 discount: "(5) change your service rate plan, including canceling or removing required PDA, BlackBerry, or smartphone features after your product has shipped; or"

Still not a bad deal. Would take 6 months (7 to be sure the 6 months is definitely passed) of the $14.99 messanging add-on to come out ok.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
pwc realtor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 2421DDCB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
Ugh, you're right, things that result in having to repay the $250 discount: "(5) change your service rate plan, including canceling or removing required PDA, BlackBerry, or smartphone features after your product has shipped; or"

Still not a bad deal. Would take 6 months (7 to be sure the 6 months is definitely passed) of the $14.99 messanging add-on to come out ok.
no problem. I actually kinda like having more anytime minutes versus unlimited nights and weekends (my job is basically 7 days a week and nights starting at 9pm are completely useless in my opiniion).

FWIW, if you do that math even without being able to use the blackberry bundle the t-mobile option comes out a heck of a lot cheaper than AT&T (one of the main reasons I am switching).
Closed Thread