BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #21
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I miss threaded SMS conversations that I had on my Treo. That's one thing they got right with the Palm OS. You can mostly alleviate this if you simply "Reply" to an SMS message to keep the conversation organized. Each message will quote all the previous messages and add each new message to the top. Works OK for me.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #22
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I miss threaded SMS conversations that I had on my Treo. That's one thing they got right with the Palm OS. You can mostly alleviate this if you simply "Reply" to an SMS message to keep the conversation organized. Each message will quote all the previous messages and add each new message to the top. Works OK for me.
i set my SMS messages to Number of Previous Items 50. it has all my conversations back and forth.

what do you mean by threaded?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #23
jbinbi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizom

Have treo 650p with verizon for 2.5 yrs. Am getting frustrated with palm 'incremental' releases, not fixing the issues that everyone on the palm forums complain about (real bluetooth, etc.). Am waiting for curve on vzw, not sure that it will happen. New BB on VZW doesn't have camera, and I need a camera.

On the other hand, my 650 has been rock solid and stable (knock wood). I find that most of the people complaining about crashes have loaded up tons of apps, or have applied certain 'hacks' talked about on forums.

Use sms lots, use calendar lots, use it as a phone lots, and get email when away from computer, works just fine.

If palm actually made something a bit more than just incremental, it would keep everyone. It doesn't seem like they are keeping up on the 'curve', if I want something better than a 755, it looks like either moto Q or maybe wait for curve. If only the pearl had a real keyboard.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #24
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
If only the pearl had a real keyboard.
It does! It is called the Curve
Old 09-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #25
xaza

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT
Default Threading Software

I am an ex Treo user and love my BB Curve. However the one feature I miss is the SMS threading software. BB SMS is a mess. You have to keep your inbox filled with all the previous messages in order to read the current ones in a "threaded format". The Treo would simply show you a list of contacts who you have messaged. You click on the name and would see the entire conversation like an IM chat. Very clean without cluttering up your inbox.

I can't beleive that someone has not written a 3rd party program for this. You can find programs for Treo, Iphone, WM5, Nokia and other phones. A top end phone like the Curve should have the same feature.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #26
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

That is the only thing I miss from the Treo line.... Loved the threaded SMS's.... Other than that, the Treo line is 99.8 percent pure junk
Old 09-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #27
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Just for those who haven't had a Treo, a threades SMS conversation is a single message for one conversation. Each person keeps adding to it. You can open the conversation and add to it and it appears like an IM session. Rather than recieving a new message for each response and sending a new message each time you respond, you just keep adding to the bottom of a single page. It really makes it easy to keep conversations organized and to look back and see exactly what was said and when.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #28
socalpilot01

Model: 8330

I see that this last post was on 9-16-07, has the 8330 that is now available on Verizon addressed any of the threaded sms complaints?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #29
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalpilot01 View Post
I see that this last post was on 9-16-07, has the 8330 that is now available on Verizon addressed any of the threaded sms complaints?
No. There is no threaded SMS on the BB. It stores messages in clusters (about five to six messages) but doesn't do full threaded SMS. It is a highly sought after feature though. There is a beta app that has been released that does threaded sms. Have a look at this app to see if it will fit your needs.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...-open-all.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by BBSwany; 07-07-2008 at 09:59 PM..
Old 07-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #30
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRockinAmigo View Post
I currently own a treo 700p and i think its alright, im rather tech savvy so i have been able to keep it working about 95% of the time but Verizon has jerked me around for the last time. I have heard BBs are more stable than palms and i was looking at the curve specificly. My requirement for a phone would be
  • Good Calendar and ToDo apps
  • String SMS messages together much like an AIM convo
  • Good call quality
  • Be extremely stable
  • Sync with my Mac computer
  • I like email but its not necessary and i know BBs are famous for having good email so thats not a problem

Basically i would like to know how the curve performs mostly in the calendar and todo areas from people who have used it for a while, and preferably those who have also used a treo

Thanks in advance
As others and as you requested to hear from previous Treo owners; I have had 3 (600, 650 & 680) and this is not to mention the many Palm PDA's I had before the Treo's. I have also owned a couple of Windows Mobile/Pocket PC devices as well.

* The calander is adequate .......... what are you looking for it to do? It is by far no Agenda Fusion.
* The ToDo (Tasks) app basically sucks, but you can get an amazing app called ToDo Matrix that will put the Palm OS built in app and many other third party apps for the same platform to shame. There is some cost involved, but it was a small price for my sanity.
* No stringing of SMS YET, but I am sure it will come in an update sometime in the future. Alot of people want it and RIM certainly knows their market; they usually comply with the desires of their costumers if it makes sense ........... meaning if they beleive it will help sell devices.
* I have an 8310 on the Rogers network and call quality/reception is awsome.
* You'll not find a more stable OS on the mobile market. The BlackBerry OS is the best hands down.
* I don't own a Mac yet :( so I can't help you there.
* Email as you already know is the best.

As said before, you need to decide what is more important to you with how you intend to use your device. For me (even being tech savvy) my sanity came first. My first BB was a hateful piece of crap (7250), however RIM answered almost every wish I had posted a long time ago (no I am not saying they did it because of my post). Taking another chance on the BlackBerry was the best move I have made in a long time. I was coming back to BB just for the stability after my Treo 680 went for an eternal swim.

BlackBerries are not for everyone, but you'd be amazed at how easily you could adjust to one. Most carriers offer 30 day and/or 30 minute airtime usage return policies; take one for a spin. I'd be surprised if you return it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Oh and the Curve has a pretty tough screen ............. so it'll handle the tapping until you get used a touch-less screen. :P

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"

Last edited by JaguarXJ7; 07-07-2008 at 10:48 PM..
Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 AM   #31
socalpilot01

Thanks. I just need to manage my schedule which changes alot and text messsage which I do alot also. I am not tech savy, so this sms threaded stuff only kinda makes sense. The 8330 will be here tomorrow and I have 30 day's to try it out.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 AM   #32
velic

Model: 8310
Wink

i just registered to tell you that you will never look back on treo ever again.

i'we had a 700P and it was the worst phone ever, my issues were not on a weekly basis, they were every hour a crash, or a freeze, or well you know what im talking about.

enjoy your curve

ps
worst mistake i had was exchanging my pearl for treo
but now iwe come to my senses and got myself a curve

ps ps

i miss threaded messages and thats about it
Old 07-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #33
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

People seem to underrate stability... until they give the BB a shot anyway.

I am, however, surprised that we don't have a 3rd party threaded SMS app. Have you Treo converts tried emailing [email address]? I personally don't use SMS much (more of an IM, PIN/BBM, email person).
Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #34
kgambino
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
In my opinion, I don't think the BlackBerry is for you.
Unless wireless push e-mail is on your priority list... then don't get a BlackBerry. You seem to be more interested in PDA functions and SMS. The BlackBerry is certainly not a PDA, and SMS functionality is not going to "chat-style" like you're asking.
BlackBerry is designed to be a mobile e-mail device. Everything else is secondary.

You're probably better off staying with a Palm device, or perhaps switching to a Windows mobile device.
You might even consider the Apple iPhone since you'll be syncing with a Mac.
You'll give up the stability factor, but your other requirements would be better satisfied.
I beg to differ. I had a Palm Axim before my bb8310. While it does not have touch screen, which I miss, I find it a more than adequate PDA. It syncs with Outlook just fine and I love that I don't have to carry a big, heavy lunky PDA in my purse, as well as a phone.

There are a few drawbacks. If you like MS Mobile, you will miss a few features. Also, there are not as many software options as for either Palm OS or MS Mobile OS (I've had Palm OS PDAs as well). But the relatively small size and weight make up for most of these drawbacks.

The biggest thing I miss other than the touch screen is WiFi; but I understand the new BBs have this feature. I just liked sitting on the sofa checking my email (lazy Gramma!).
Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 AM   #35
FourtyEightFan

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Get an iPhone!

I have been a long time Palm user - starting with a PalmPilot and ending with a Treo 680. I got sick and tired of having my phone crash. I now have a Curve and love it. Tasks and Notes are not nice on the BB as the Palm. I also don't understand why RIM doesn't thread your SMS messages like everyone else.

For me, I do a lot of e-mail, so typing on an iPhone is out of the question. But, if you're not doing a lot of typing, the iPhone is great. They now have a 3G model!

~J.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:14 AM   #36
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360
Carrier: Sprint

Aside from the 3G and wifi for the new iphone, its still lacking features.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #37
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgambino View Post
I beg to differ. I had a Palm Axim before my bb8310. While it does not have touch screen, which I miss, I find it a more than adequate PDA. It syncs with Outlook just fine and I love that I don't have to carry a big, heavy lunky PDA in my purse, as well as a phone.

There are a few drawbacks. If you like MS Mobile, you will miss a few features. Also, there are not as many software options as for either Palm OS or MS Mobile OS (I've had Palm OS PDAs as well). But the relatively small size and weight make up for most of these drawbacks.

The biggest thing I miss other than the touch screen is WiFi; but I understand the new BBs have this feature. I just liked sitting on the sofa checking my email (lazy Gramma!).
You had me confused there for a moment ...... you meant a Dell Axim yes? These were Dell's version of the popular iPaq. Had one myself (the Axim that is), it was great at the time, but damn it was BIG!

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"
Old 07-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #38
Sade

Carrier: Sprint

Curve!
Closed Thread