Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Question Are you returning your Storm?

Please Login to Remove!

I don't have one. And I'm not changing to Verizon from AT&T to get one. I will, however, take a gander at the GSM version when it hits the streets. I'm perfectly happy with my Bold right now, but I want to take the pulse of the early adopters and see if you're happy enough with your new Blackberry to keep it.

Dammit! I wanted to make this a poll, but the call of nature had me rushing and I posted before checking the poll box.

Last edited by rambo47; 11-21-2008 at 11:24 AM..
Old 11-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Earthdog
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Well, I am sitting here with my Bold on my desk and the Storm charging. And I can answer this easily, This is no replacement for the Bold, Curve etc... Its cool but I believe its built for another market segment.

Frankly I bought it for one of our other employees so no loss I just wanted to try it. Its cools but not for the business user more for the personal consumer that wants a good email device.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

No returning. It will replace my curve.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
jltx114
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

i played with the storm today at the vzw store, and was not impressed at all. i'm keeping my curve. the storm imo is a failure. doesn't compare to the iphone in any way, and the touch screen prohibits you from typing anywhere near the speed of the curve or even iphone
Old 11-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
DrPepper4Me

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A

I played with the Storm for a good bit in the store yesterday.. and was thoroughly disappointed, mainly with the typing.

I'll be keeping my Curve... I wouldn't swap even if it was free.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
jltx114
Thumbs Must Hurt

yes i agree, wouldnt swap even if it was free. keeping my curve. the storm doesnt even begin to compare to the iphone. the browser is a joke too, it's horrible.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Chichum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well this is upsetting - I have the curve and I just bought the storm. Maybe it'll just go on eBay. Man, I was looking forward to this phone
Old 11-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
jnyost

Model: 9550

It's a great phone. Keep it. So much better than the iFadPhone too. It'll obviously have a few glitches since it is new but so far it rocks.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
It's a great phone. Keep it. So much better than the iFadPhone too. It'll obviously have a few glitches since it is new but so far it rocks.
They've certainly sold quite a bit of units for a "ifad phone" as you put it. I doubt RIM will have equal sales numbers with either the Bold or the Storm.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 11-21-2008 at 12:06 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
MiamiBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Definitely will return mine:
- Incredibly annoying lag when switching applications, or pressiing the lock key to lock the device;
- Orientation of device changes at the slightest angle...
- Typing on full qwerty keyboard is tiring (due to the presses of the screen), slow, and many mistakes are made;
- Weight; I found it too heavy for my own taste;
- Construction; Oh yeah its solid alright, but that wobbling of the screen....

EDIT: BTW, I was considering also switching from ATT to Verizon just for the Storm...but that just ain't gonna happen.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I dont remember this kind of feedback when 8xxx came out.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
corybarwick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

To be honest, I am in agreement with everyone else here... this is sad. I was really looking forward to this release but I doubt that I will be switching from my Curve based on the reviews that I have read thus far. I will stop by my local VZW store to play around with it, but I doubt that I will be making the change anytime soon. Now I guess that we just have to wait for VZW to adopt the Bold (which will probably never happen...).
Old 11-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T, VZW

I ventured into VZW this morning to play around with the Storm! Let me just say that it's not an absolute nightmare, as some people are saying. It's just not for the power user, or for those that are very used to a BB keyboard. But many newbies will absolutely luv it! In true honesty it's a cool device, and I think that's what RIM was shooting for. It's not taking the place of my BOLD or my 8830 I use for VZW. But definitely a cool addition to the great RIM line up of devices!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
mortys11

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBerry View Post
Definitely will return mine:
- Incredibly annoying lag when switching applications, or pressiing the lock key to lock the device;
- Orientation of device changes at the slightest angle...
- Typing on full qwerty keyboard is tiring (due to the presses of the screen), slow, and many mistakes are made;
- Weight; I found it too heavy for my own taste;
- Construction; Oh yeah its solid alright, but that wobbling of the screen....

EDIT: BTW, I was considering also switching from ATT to Verizon just for the Storm...but that just ain't gonna happen.
no way a bold user will like this device as is.

we are spoiled buy the speed of the bold...no going back!

i had to use my wife's curve a few days ago and i thought "how did i use to use this"....the screen seemed blurry and the ball was not spot on accurate like the bold (althought it seems my wifes might be a bit damaged)

i said it before and will say it again....when we get :

full qwerty
900 mhz processor
8 mp camera with hd video
full html browser with flash
2 gb internal flash mem
64 gb card mem for media
hd screen
1800 mah battery or better
wifi, gps, 3G, blu tooth, voip, wi max

that will be dream device!

slimmer and a bit smaller than the bold and made of quality materials and design.

i would pay $1000 for a phone like that
Old 11-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
jimmypowder

Model: 8100
Carrier: verizon

I have a verizon blackberry pearl and a at&t iphone .I went to the verizon store
today and played around with the storm for 5 minutes.This phone is a piece of junk.

There was noticeable lag navigating from menu to menu.I asked the guy next to me who was sampling another storm if he had the same problem and he did.
My pearl was faster .Tried web surfing,not noticeably faster than the pearl i bought a year ago.The time lag between menus reminded me of the lag that
my son and daughter had with their motorola razr,which they despised.

The email typing is FATIGUING! After 2 minutes of clicking, the guy next
to me agreed that if your going to do alot of typing emails dont buy this phone.
He said he was gonna stick with his curve.

I didnt see any application center so I suppose its not out yet.Why on earth
woulnt throw a few free apps in there .DUMB DUMB DUMB.I did see the Verizon
navigation app which you have to pay 10/monthly for

This phone isn't even close to the iphone and i will stick with my pearl.Hopefully verizon will come out with the bold next year.

Last edited by jimmypowder; 11-21-2008 at 02:06 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #16
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I played with one for about 20 minutes at Verizon today.
Loved:
xxx8226;Size and shape.
xxx8226;The fact that it's a Blackberry.
xxx8226;Touchscreen concept.
xxx8226;Landscape mode.

Underwhelmed:
xxx8226;Lag when switching between apps. That's a nightmare. Maybe a firmware update will address this, but in it's present state I couldn't deal with this.
xxx8226;Double-press on anything to actually make it work. Too many steps to do anything.

The landscape mode alleviates the cramped keyboard problem I find so annoying with all other touchscreen keyboards. High potential here, but in it's present state it's definitely not for me. Lets see if anything changes by the time a GSM model comes out.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #17
hondaguy900
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint (really miss Verizon)

I stopped by the Verizon store this afternoon to play with it as well... I was not very impressed.

- Speed between applications was a little too slow.
- Typing is not much better than my iPod Touch. It's do-able, but my speed will be much faster on a device with a physicalkeyboard.
- The touch click is interesting... but I don't really get the point. Although you hear a click when you press a key, you don't get the feeling in your fingers until after you've pressed it. With a physical keyboard, you feel the key before you press it.

Looks like I'll be going with the Curve.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #18
MoreChampagneSir?

Model: 8700
Carrier: Someone

It would be helpful to see anyone who gives their impression of the Storm would report what version OS they were using. There are numerous reports of the issues people are reporting here being cured by the OS update to .86.

If you're running on .65 and are basing your comments on that, you're doing everyone a disservice by making a judgment based on flawed logic and software.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #19
fearomoon

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMO

that's true... you guys have to give stormy a try...a longer one... i got mine on monday in germany.. the first day i was happy that i didn't sell my bold... the second day i was still thinking about returning the storm..
now i own the strom for about 5 days, used it and typing now is as fast as with my bold or curve. firmware is still beta and lagging but i think in two or three weeks we'll get a new stable and better "final" firmware and then we can continue our discussion here
Old 11-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #20
MiamiBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreChampagneSir? View Post
It would be helpful to see anyone who gives their impression of the Storm would report what version OS they were using. There are numerous reports of the issues people are reporting here being cured by the OS update to .86.

If you're running on .65 and are basing your comments on that, you're doing everyone a disservice by making a judgment based on flawed logic and software.
Which update are you talking about? There's no update available from the Verizon Blackberry page.
Closed Thread