BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 06:32 AM   #1
Dizzydogs

Model: n/a
Cool Disappointed already....

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I have just spent the evening reading all the posts in this forum. I swapped from the pc to mac around six years ago. I love my pb and wouldn't swap back for anything. I am looking forward to getting the new MacBook pro at Christmas
I have a Sony Ericsson P910i at present which works fine with mac isync. I was looking to buy a BB and, like many others am really disappointed that it didn't support mac isync. I thought a state of the art BB would be compatable with our favorite operating system?
Well I am not paying the big bucks for something that doesn't work with what I consider to be the best os out there.
I have seen many comments on the pocketmac software but get the impression it is not that reliable. When someone is spending a lot of cash on two devices they should be compatable or you are just heading into problems, work arounds and making do. I thought I had left all that behind me when I ditched MS!?
So it is with much regret that I am spending my money on the new S.E. P990. They support the os system *I* choose to use. Their smart phones are reliable. I shall keep an eye on BB, read this forum and wait with baited breath for them to make their products compatable with the mac. Until then they have lost another small companys' support & cash.

Best regards to you all,

Dizzydogs
Old 05-29-2006, 07:32 AM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

And your point? PocketMac is what it is. Sadly Apple still only holds in around 5-6% of the market and fewer in the business space. It's just not a dev priority for RIM right now, hopefully with time as RIM took over licensing for PocketMac. If your planning to purchase an Intel Mac you use something like Boot Camp to sync in the WIN environment, works like a champ!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzydogs
Hello, I have just spent the evening reading all the posts in this forum. I swapped from the pc to mac around six years ago. I love my pb and wouldn't swap back for anything. I am looking forward to getting the new MacBook pro at Christmas
I have a Sony Ericsson P910i at present which works fine with mac isync. I was looking to buy a BB and, like many others am really disappointed that it didn't support mac isync. I thought a state of the art BB would be compatable with our favorite operating system?
Well I am not paying the big bucks for something that doesn't work with what I consider to be the best os out there.
I have seen many comments on the pocketmac software but get the impression it is not that reliable. When someone is spending a lot of cash on two devices they should be compatable or you are just heading into problems, work arounds and making do. I thought I had left all that behind me when I ditched MS!?
So it is with much regret that I am spending my money on the new S.E. P990. They support the os system *I* choose to use. Their smart phones are reliable. I shall keep an eye on BB, read this forum and wait with baited breath for them to make their products compatable with the mac. Until then they have lost another small companys' support & cash.

Best regards to you all,

Dizzydogs
Old 05-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
Iman

Model: 7130e
Default My experience...

I agree with the frustration shared by many in this forum about the lack of Mac support. I became a BB owner over the weekend after many years of having a Treo. I feared using PocketMac because of all the horror stories that I have heard here, but my syncing ran very smoothly.

The only problem I incurred was that it did not transfer the emails from most of my address book. However, that was soon corrected when I changed all the emails in address book to have a "work" designation. iCal worked wonderfully. No complaints at all, frankly, much easier than I ever expected and much, much easier than trying to sync a Treo. (Knocking on wood...)

I have a MacBook Pro, so was able to load some programs via Windows and Boot Camp....again, worked great. (One problem here is that I wasn't able to load avantago to my 7130 e, this is frustrating and I am searching for a solution.)

Anyway, best of luck in your future purchases...I, for one, have no regrets.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Hunter5117
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700G

I've pretty much resolved myself that if I keep my BB8700g then I am going to pay for hosted MS-Exchange and BB BES services. Actually I've already signed up for the Exchange server and that part is working great, just haven't brought the BB into the equation yet. That way I will resolve both the inconsistent syncing over .mac between my 2 computers plus get full BB sync in the bargain. Only works if you are using Entourage though, won't help with standard Address Book and iCal.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Quote:
Well I am not paying the big bucks for something that doesn't work with what I consider to be the best os out there
As an ex Mac user I can understand the frustration. There's nothing worse than spending twice as much on a computer used by 1% of the world, and therefore compatible with next to nothing....and you thought it was such a good idea in the shop didn't you!!! Steve Jobs must have rubbed his hands together when he saw us all coming!!! I've 'grown up' since then as, despite the fact it's not always as stable, Windows is universal, and that's what technology is about (hense my move from Mac to Windows about 4 years ago).

It's pointless throwing the rattle out of the pushchair, you must have known Mac was not as compatible with many other products when you went down that route, so you've really bought it on yourself. That said, finch is right, Bootcamp is a great product so you could do that, or you could just carry on moaning, which is probably what you'll do the next time you find something that doesn't work with Mac!! Have you ever considered the possibility that instead of 'x' products being incompatible with your Mac, it's actually your Mac that's incompatible with 'x' products??? It's the conclusion I came to, and I've never looked back!!

Old 05-31-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Well, as a PC and Mac user I'll give my two cents. PCs suck. Macs don't. Anyone who thinks PCs cover 95% or more of the computing market because they are such great machines is naive. It's 100% a result of business maneuvers and marketing since Bill Gates made his first (some would say stolen) cheap copy of the Macintosh OS and called it Windows. If it weren't for Apple, there would still be some form of DOS out there - yikes! (I live in Redmond, Washington, the Microsoft headquarters - I hear more of this debate than you care to know, trust me...) If you know the history of Microsoft and Apple you will see that's the only conclusion. So, yes, PCs are everywhere, worldwide, performing duties that will probably never be performed by Macs. But it doesn't matter, they still suck. You can argue about it all day long, but PCs crash, freeze, corrupt, infiltrate, invade, get viruses, lag, intermittently close apps for no apparent reason, struggle, and ultimately cause heartache and pain. Macs don't. I am an attorney - and about 80% of the other attorneys I deal with use PCs. They all have the same complaints day in and day out. Want to see something really funny? Watch a PC-attorney trying to put on a video/picture/audio/documentation presentation in court. Then watch me do one - no contest. The entire legal world is converting to PDF as the standard document for court purposes. Most of the attys I know have trouble managing their PDFs or even getting Word docs converted into PDF - it's absurd.

Then go out of the business world. Music, video, audio, pictures - do you really want to compare PC to Mac in that realm? Windows Media Center? You must be kidding...

Before anyone bashes me, keep in mind that I use both Mac and PC, and I have been for years, so don't give me any "you don't know what you're talking about" stuff. I use the PC, sadly enough, for Desktop Manager and one type of legal software I need for my work. But thanks to Boot Camp, Parallels, and NorthStar, I am selling both the PC and my current Mac to get a new MacBook - and I will be the one never looking back!!!

Last edited by Seattle18; 05-31-2006 at 04:26 PM..
Old 05-31-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

Thanks for that Seattle. I am not bashing you in anyway. In fact, that is what I wanted to hear. I am considering switching over because of the problems you mentioned. I have been experiencing Windows errors for about the last week and I have problems opening CD's and emails, that contain attachments and pictures, from Macs and it's starting to tick me off. I will keep the PC IF NEEDED for the BlackBerry only. Let me know how you get it to work. Only problem is that I'm still paying off the $2300 I spent to purchase this pc 18 months ago.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:51 PM   #8
Seattle18

Ebay the PC, buy the MacBook or MacBook pro, install Windows XP using Boot Camp, then you have two computers in one. If you feel uneasy about installing the Windows stuff, then look into MacMall - they are shipping MacBooks and MacBook Pros with Windows XP preinstalled via Boot Camp, so all the work is done for you already. And they also usually have offers for free printers or something, with mail-in rebates of course... Just keep in mind that if you order the system with any additional memory (they offer great deals on the extra memory), that they do NOT use Apple memory, they use something else. Probably good ones, but I prefer to keep it all Apple memory. When I got my lat Mac from them I ordered it stock, then bought additional memory from my local Apple store and put it in myself. FYI...
Old 05-31-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Thanks but when I signed up through their college student account, I found an iBook I like that I can get for under $1K. Will MacMall work on that or just MacBooks?
Old 05-31-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
Seattle18

You mean MacBook, right?

I don't think MacMall does student discounts, so Apple is the best bet probably. I don't think MacMall charges you the tax, so it may still be better on MacMall, I don't know.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

No. iBook G4. http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/We...7B9&nclm=iBook

Found this at MacMall http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/ibook/

Last edited by EricaJ1074; 05-31-2006 at 08:48 PM..
Old 05-31-2006, 09:47 PM   #12
Seattle18

If you want an iBook, then buy mine! I will include everything you see on the Apple sight, plus over 1000 songs in iTunes, a couple leather cases if you have an 8700 BB, some DVD durning software, and an HP printer/scanner/copier/fax machine! You can't beat that! Here is my eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
ScottE22
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
Well, as a PC and Mac user I'll give my two cents. PCs suck. Macs don't...

Well played, sir. A logical and cohesive argument (clearly you are an excellent attorney!) that describes why one would make "The Switch" to a Mac.

@ the OP: Don't be "disappointed already!" Have you actually tried PocketMac for Blackberry? There are plenty who use it. It's a nice little program that does its job well. Sure, it's no iSync, but that will come in time! I don't think you'd be as disappointed as you think you'd be (Does that make sense?) if you bought a BB, but then again it has to fit with your business.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:40 AM   #14
Dizzydogs

Model: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22

Well played, sir. A logical and cohesive argument (clearly you are an excellent attorney!) that describes why one would make "The Switch" to a Mac.

@ the OP: Don't be "disappointed already!" Have you actually tried PocketMac for Blackberry? There are plenty who use it. It's a nice little program that does its job well. Sure, it's no iSync, but that will come in time! I don't think you'd be as disappointed as you think you'd be (Does that make sense?) if you bought a BB, but then again it has to fit with your business.
Hi ScottE22,
Thanks for your posting. No I haven't used PocketMac myself, I am just going by the comments posted on here, so many negatives!

You may be correct - I might not be so very disappointed, I really do want to go to BB but it is a lot of money if it does go pear shaped!
The main requirements for PocketMac / BB will be to sync iCal & contacts.

Ah well, I may buy just one to start with and see how I get on. If it does work ok then I could well get some more for the other staff.

To some of the other people who have answered my thread - there is no chance in hell of my reverting back to MS PC's. After years of MS I am now a fully fledged Mac user. Yes it is more expensive, yes I accept there are not so many software programs compatable with the Mac but for me I would rather have the Mac any day.
The Mac is so smooth, I have forgotten what a blue screen looks like (unless I colour my desktop blue) Mac does everything faster and easier than my PC used to. I have *never* lost a days reports on my Mac (unlike my MS days), and before anyone say's it, Yes I do "save" frequently. My powerbook is reliable and does everything I want it to do plus much more.
If I can use BB and PocketMac smoothly with my Mac's then I will be delighted.

It will be great when PocketMac does support iSync, that will make life so much easier but you asked a valid question ScottE22 so I should try it first before deciding it's not going to work for me.

Regards,
Sue

Susan Lee MBIPDT
.dizzydogs.co.uk
Old 06-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #15
TBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO
Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, as a PC and Mac user I'll give my two cents. PCs suck. Macs don't. Anyone who thinks PCs cover 95% or more of the computing market because they are such great machines is naive. It's 100% a result of business maneuvers and marketing since Bill Gates made his first (some would say stolen) cheap copy of the Macintosh OS and called it Windows. If it weren't for Apple, there would still be some form of DOS out there - yikes! (I live in Redmond, Washington, the Microsoft headquarters - I hear more of this debate than you care to know, trust me...) If you know the history of Microsoft and Apple you will see that's the only conclusion. So, yes, PCs are everywhere, worldwide, performing duties that will probably never be performed by Macs. But it doesn't matter, they still suck. You can argue about it all day long, but PCs crash, freeze, corrupt, infiltrate, invade, get viruses, lag, intermittently close apps for no apparent reason, struggle, and ultimately cause heartache and pain. Macs don't. I am an attorney - and about 80% of the other attorneys I deal with use PCs. They all have the same complaints day in and day out. Want to see something really funny? Watch a PC-attorney trying to put on a video/picture/audio/documentation presentation in court. Then watch me do one - no contest. The entire legal world is converting to PDF as the standard document for court purposes. Most of the attys I know have trouble managing their PDFs or even getting Word docs converted into PDF - it's absurd.

Then go out of the business world. Music, video, audio, pictures - do you really want to compare PC to Mac in that realm? Windows Media Center? You must be kidding...

Before anyone bashes me, keep in mind that I use both Mac and PC, and I have been for years, so don't give me any "you don't know what you're talking about" stuff. I use the PC, sadly enough, for Desktop Manager and one type of legal software I need for my work. But thanks to Boot Camp, Parallels, and NorthStar, I am selling both the PC and my current Mac to get a new MacBook - and I will be the one never looking back!!!
EXCELLENT Seattle! you hit the nail right on the head.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #16
k40jeep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I have used my mac and bb since jan and never have I had a problem! They sync flawlessly every day and I have never EVER had one problem. People ***** too much on this forum. We are macs, we are superior in every way to a pc and yet we ARE the underdog. We accept it and move on.

Game over.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:58 AM   #17
Chinasaur
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z30

If you are looking for a Mac, go to the Apple Store and check out the refub'd units. I've purchased two Rev B G5 iMac's in the last year and had zero problems. They are fully warranted and you can save a lot of money.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #18
Seattle18

Just got my MacBook...

Installing Windows XP Pro on Boot Camp tonight just for BB Desktop Manager...

Life is grand...
Old 06-16-2006, 01:49 PM   #19
toddz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Quote:
Just got my MacBook...
Installing Windows XP Pro on Boot Camp tonight just for BB Desktop Manager...
Life is grand...
Why can't everyone be as accepting of reality as you. I have a Mac and a BlackBerry and paid a lot of money for each. I had no expectations that they should or will work together. In fact mine really don't like each other all that much but I force them to get along.

toddz