Old 01-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #21
acmegumbo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf1khal
OK, go to options, advanced, media card and select. Make sure that it shows M. C. Support is set to on, Mass storage mode support to on, and the Auto enable Mass Storage When Connected is set to Prompt.
Did that; changed Auto enable MS when connected to "Prompt." Connected BB via USB. Got white screen and question. Selected, "Yes." Went to Windows Explorer>My Computer and media card still does not appear while connected via USB. Also, while connected via USB the card is not visible under the Pictures or Ringtones folders (it is visible when not connected via USB.) Still stymied.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #22
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmegumbo
Did that; changed Auto enable MS when connected to "Prompt." Connected BB via USB. Got white screen and question. Selected, "Yes." Went to Windows Explorer>My Computer and media card still does not appear while connected via USB. Also, while connected via USB the card is not visible under the Pictures or Ringtones folders (it is visible when not connected via USB.) Still stymied.
When you view it form with in your Pearl what do you see in your folders under the card folder?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #23
acmegumbo

Quote:
When you view it form with in your Pearl what do you see in your folders under the card folder?
When Pearl is not connected via USB when I go to Media>Pictures I see these folders: Up, Media Card, Preloaded Media and Device Memory; from there, when I click Media Card I see a folder for UP, an icon for Camera and a single .jpg file I took with the camera and moved to the card. When I go to Media>Music or Video I see folders for Up, Media Card and Preloaded Media. When I go to Media>Ringtones I see folders for Up, Media Card, Preloaded Media and Device Memory.

Something different: Now that I have prompt set to ask if I want Mass Storage, when I connect with USB and click "Yes" at the prompt on the white screen, I do not see a Media Card folder when I do the above. When I click, "No" at that prompt to tell Pearl I do not want Mass Storage, I do see the Media Card folder under Music, Video, Ringtones and Pictures. No matter what I do, though, I cannot view the media card using either Windows Explorer or Desktop Manager.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #24
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
When Pearl is not connected via USB when I go to Media>Pictures I see these folders: Up, Media Card, Preloaded Media and Device Memory; from there, when I click Media Card I see a folder for UP, an icon for Camera and a single .jpg file I took with the camera and moved to the card. When I go to Media>Music or Video I see folders for Up, Media Card and Preloaded Media. When I go to Media>Ringtones I see folders for Up, Media Card, Preloaded Media and Device Memory.

Something different: Now that I have prompt set to ask if I want Mass Storage, when I connect with USB and click "Yes" at the prompt on the white screen, I do not see a Media Card folder when I do the above. When I click, "No" at that prompt to tell Pearl I do not want Mass Storage, I do see the Media Card folder under Music, Video, Ringtones and Pictures. No matter what I do, though, I cannot view the media card using either Windows Explorer or Desktop Manager.
Now comes the main question. Did you format the media card from with in the Pearl? If not go to options, advanced, Media card, press the menu and then select format card. if you have nothing on it I would recomend formating it again.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #25
acmegumbo

Quote:
Now comes the main question. Did you format the media card from with in the Pearl? If not go to options, advanced, Media card, press the menu and then select format card. if you have nothing on it I would recomend formating it again.
I did format the card in the Pearl yesterday. I have nothing of consequence on it so will do so again and report back. I am thinking of calling for support. Do you think that should be Cingular or Blackberry? Thanks for hanging in there with me on this!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #26
acmegumbo

I did not mention but have pulled the battery, rebooted, etc., also.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #27
acmegumbo

Quote:
Did you format the media card from with in the Pearl?
Formatted the sucker again.

When I answer "No" to the question whether I want Mass Storage, Media Card appears in Ringtones, Pictures, Video and Music. Card still does not appear in Windows Explorer.

When I answer "Yes" to the Mass Storage question, Media Card does not appear in any of the above. Nor, of course, does it appear in WE's My Computer. Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #28
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I'm thinking you may have a USB connection issue. Not necessarily a problem with the card. In desktop manager does it say your BB is "connected"? If mass storage mode is on and if it says your BB is connected then you should have a "removable drive F:" (letter could be different) under My Computer. You have nothing?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #29
acmegumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
I'm thinking you may have a USB connection issue. Not necessarily a problem with the card. In desktop manager does it say your BB is "connected"? If mass storage mode is on and if it says your BB is connected then you should have a "removable drive F:" (letter could be different) under My Computer. You have nothing?
When Device Manager is running at the bottom of the screen it has my PIN and to the right of that, "Connected" and to the right of that, "Offline" (I am not now connected to the network with BES on it. In My Computer other drives appear but none for the card. What should it say for the card other than a drive letter? When I go into DM's Media Manager I see two screens, one to the left and one to the right. The right screen has Device Memory with info on total size, free space, file size limit and "Internal Device Memory File." If it were a USB connection problem I wouldn't think I would see all of that.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #30
acmegumbo

As mentioned earlier, I have a laptop which I take to work where our BES is connected to the network and also use at home. Today while logged in to our work network I connected Desktop Manager; selected "No" when prompted whether I wanted Mass Storage and the media card did appear in Media Manager. I was able to drag and drop from the left screen to the folders in the media card for Pictures and Ringtones and see them on the BB. When I select "Yes" for Mass Storage the media card does not appear in Media Manager. I still do not see the device in My Computer.

I may have a USB/computer problem. I plugged my BB in the USB port of a co-worker and the media card appeared in his My Computer.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #31
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
As mentioned earlier, I have a laptop which I take to work where our BES is connected to the network and also use at home. Today while logged in to our work network I connected Desktop Manager; selected "No" when prompted whether I wanted Mass Storage and the media card did appear in Media Manager. I was able to drag and drop from the left screen to the folders in the media card for Pictures and Ringtones and see them on the BB. When I select "Yes" for Mass Storage the media card does not appear in Media Manager. I still do not see the device in My Computer.

I may have a USB/computer problem. I plugged my BB in the USB port of a co-worker and the media card appeared in his My Computer.
Have you tried all teh USB ports on your laptop? some of those are not powered and that could be the reason. I think some one said in this thread how to check it is is on power save. Check and make sure that it is not.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #32
acmegumbo

Quote:
Have you tried all teh USB ports on your laptop? some of those are not powered and that could be the reason. I think some one said in this thread how to check it is is on power save. Check and make sure that it is not.
Did Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus controlers and see 4 USB Root Hubs. I RC each of them and click Properties and Power Management and assure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device" is NOT checked. All 4 USB Root Hubs are said to be working.

While there, noticed that also in the list of Universal Serial Bus controlers are
BlackBerry Device and USB Mass Storage Device. RC each of those and it says they are both working properly.

Also in Device Manager saw "+Disk drives" and clicked the + and saw both my IDE drive and RIM BlackBerrySdCard USB Device. RC that and click Properties and it says this device is working properly.

The media card still does not appear in My Computer. Thanks for your interest and help!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #33
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I think I would completely uninstall the Desktop Manager and all the drivers. There is a thread on the forums somwhere on doing a complete uninstall for DM. Search for it and follow the instructions. Then reinstall (make sure BB is not connected during install). I'm wondering if maybe you have a driver issue. Reinstalling will reinstall the drivers.

Edit: Here's the link.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...esktop+Manager
Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #34
acmegumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
I think I would completely uninstall the Desktop Manager and all the drivers. ]
Thanks, John! Will try that once I muster enough courage to mess with registry; probably this weekend.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #35
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Messing with the registry is no problem if you follow the instructions carefully and properly.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #36
acmegumbo

John and all: Media card now recognized without clean reinstall of Desktop Manager. As background, laptop is used at work where we have a lot of network drives; I think one of the drive letters conflicted with the media card. Anyway, I fiddled around with Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management; saw a drive letter for what must have been the media card which conflicted; changed the drive letter to J (available). Then went to My Computer and saw Removeable Disk: drive J; initially got "Please insert a disk into drive J; discovered that when I answer Yes to the prompt for Mass Storage I can see the folders for BlackBerry, Music, Pictures, etc, and can drag and drop to them from Win Explorer. Thanks, again!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #37
Jumpman23
Thumbs Must Hurt

What would the difference in performance be whether you format the card or not? Will it cause you to have some issues with the card when playing back videos or anything?

I didnt format the card before and I was having freezing issues with video playback and other issues and I just now formatted the card and will try later and see if it does the same thing.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #38
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman23
What would the difference in performance be whether you format the card or not? Will it cause you to have some issues with the card when playing back videos or anything?

I didnt format the card before and I was having freezing issues with video playback and other issues and I just now formatted the card and will try later and see if it does the same thing.
If it is formated it gets formated acording to the needs of the pearl.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #39
decke

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMo

Quote:
John and all: Media card now recognized without clean reinstall of Desktop Manager. As background, laptop is used at work where we have a lot of network drives; I think one of the drive letters conflicted with the media card. Anyway, I fiddled around with Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management; saw a drive letter for what must have been the media card which conflicted; changed the drive letter to J (available). Then went to My Computer and saw Removeable Disk: drive J; initially got "Please insert a disk into drive J; discovered that when I answer Yes to the prompt for Mass Storage I can see the folders for BlackBerry, Music, Pictures, etc, and can drag and drop to them from Win Explorer. Thanks, again!
acmegumbo -- I had the exact same problem. Pretty much followed your situation post by post. I got to the above post and BAM -- problem solved. I would assume that a lot of people might have this probably with most bb users probably having multiple network drives at work. Thanks for the help.
Closed Thread