Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #21
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: tmobile
Default all working well here

Please Login to Remove!

wifi UMA working when cell radio is on or off.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #22
evmonk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm getting adequate signal strength, not great. Even standing 5 feet from the router I only get 3-4 bars. On average I get 1-2 bars less than my laptop (which picks up a signal well) from the same location.

Overall I'm satisfied with the wifi on the 8320, but not blown away.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #23
rking84

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

evmonk - thanks, thast exactly what i was asking for... i just wanted to know if my signal strength was standard or not. it seems like my signal strength is always low but i think calls are still able to go through which is fine. i think i read that calling only takes up <8 kb/s so i guess a strong signal isn't necessary.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:48 PM   #24
kd78
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

UMA working great here. I have had my GSM/GPRS/EDGE radio off all day at home and emails/calls/texts are working great over wifi/UMA.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #25
NYC567user

Carrier: Various (t-mob, sprint, cing, voda)
Default Same problem as original question...

The original question the user mentioned using a Mac...what kind of router are you using?

So far, for me using a Mac "N" router reveals the same problems as you.

A couple of things i have tried:

1 _ re-flashed back to 7.1.1 router from 7.2....no difference...

2 - stopped wifi and restarted wi-fi on the blackberry twice as recommended by T-Mobile...this one got me farther on the call till it dropped a few minutes later.

3 - found out what IP my blackberry was using...as a test I decided to open up ports 5400 tcp and udp to that IP....by going to Airport utility...-> advanced... then hit + sign to add a new port mapping...add port 4500 from top to bottomr...and pt the IP that corresponds to the blackberry....then add another port 500 to the mapping (same set up)....and that seemed to do the trick...

Also as a test I decided to re-edit the network setting on the blackberry for my wi-fi and unclick the automatically get DHCP settings and enter manually the IP reserved on the router...

So in continuing testing..I have locked the unit to either ch 1, 6 or 11 and I get only about 30% drops...where before it would drop 100%...

if anyone with a Mac "N" router can also test and see if this works for them or not..
Old 09-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #26
Yoryie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Default Working great here!

No problem UMA working great here. Belkin G Plus Router, in a home network that also includes a macbook and a Windows PC. Seamlessly surfing the net, while receiving SMS and/or calls
Old 09-23-2007, 11:46 PM   #27
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

D-Link DIR-655 (draft N router, firmware 1.03, WPA2-AES) working great for both UMA and data - setup was a snap using a WPS PIN number.

Last edited by flar; 09-23-2007 at 11:48 PM..
Old 09-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #28
evmonk

I think this thread is already too far down the line for this comment to make a difference, but I don't think it's very helpful to say your wifi is working. Of course it works. The question is, does it work well?

How many bars do you get at different distances from your router? How does this compare to the signal strength on your laptop? It's pretty apparent that the wifi on the 8320 isn't as zippy as many people had hoped (see the speed test BGR just ran). The question is, do these issues vary by device? Are some 8320's picking up a signal better than others, or are they all pretty lag-tastic?

Last edited by evmonk; 09-24-2007 at 12:04 AM..
Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 AM   #29
Kurt M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperr View Post
I'm having the same problem. Connects to wireless fine, data fine. When I try to make a call, it disconnects as soon as it rings, and if someone tries to call me the same thing happens. When I make a call, right after it disconnects the call it disconnects from the UMA and goes back to EDGE.

This seems like a problem a few people are having. Anyone find any answers anywhere? Already tried opening ports 4500 and 500 as well. No dice.
I had the same problem after I used 'switch Device Wizard'. I wiped the device and it has worked fine since.

Try going to Options> Security Options>General Settings>Go into Menu and select Wipe Handheld.

You should see UMA come up. Try making a call and see if you have the same problem. To eliminate your router as an issue, you may want to go to a Starbucks and use the T-Mobile Hotspot connection.

If it does work okay, add applications using a selective restore of your original device backup. Only select the basics: Address Book. Calendar, etc. Do not select any of the service workbooks!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 AM   #30
Casperr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt M View Post
I had the same problem after I used 'switch Device Wizard'. I wiped the device and it has worked fine since.

Try going to Options> Security Options>General Settings>Go into Menu and select Wipe Handheld.

You should see UMA come up. Try making a call and see if you have the same problem. To eliminate your router as an issue, you may want to go to a Starbucks and use the T-Mobile Hotspot connection.

If it does work okay, add applications using a selective restore of your original device backup. Only select the basics: Address Book. Calendar, etc. Do not select any of the service workbooks!
I didn't use the 'switch Device Wizard', I just set it up from scratch out of the box, but I've tried everything else to get this to work. I guess this is my last option. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Thanks for your input and info!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #31
aross777

Carrier: TMO
Default Same problem here

Picked up the 8320 on Saturday, been having the same problem with unreliable UMA access even if the phone has a strong wifi signal. I'll have two laptops near by with full signal (four bars) and wifi lit up on the 8320, and still no UMA. I have removed the battery and re-registered the phone, and wiped it clean and both seem to fix it temporarily, but then still reverts back to shaky connection. I was using a D-link 54g router, then switched to t-mobile's linksys, neither of which seemed to make a difference.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 PM   #32
rkling01

Carrier: T Mobile

I have the same issue - DLink DI-624 - fair reception on my phone, great on my laptop. I performed the wipe function and then the UMA connection worked great w/my browser connection. As soon as I made a call and tried to access the browser again, the problem returned. Then I was unable to receive any calls - they would go immediately into voicemail. I have had to disable my WIFI connection while at home at this point and appears I am out of luck at this point?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #33
ccantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
D-Link DIR-655 (draft N router, firmware 1.03, WPA2-AES) working great for both UMA and data - setup was a snap using a WPS PIN number.
I could not get my DIR-655 (firmware 1.05) to work consistently. It would connect UMA but then fail over back to EDGE. I called T-Mobile and finally got a tech who was good and helpful. Basically, the random "drops" or going from UMA back to edge he said was a result of the different vendors and their support for WMM at this point.

In the end, I went a bought a T-Mobile branded router ($0 after rebate) and it works 100% of the time. I was at the point I just wanted it to work and will now take my time to figure out how to make the other vendors to work :D

-chris
Old 09-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #34
BBRomeo

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I had my wifi working fine, no problems aside from not being able to recive phone calls. So in order to fix it, i thought maybe i should disconnect it and reconnect, which i did, now it (uma) wont turn on again, it keeps telling me, Connection Error W010, is anyone familiar with that error?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #35
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Working like a champ here! Cable modem and the T-Mobile D-Link router.. Calls are clear and the UMA -- EDGE -- UMA handoff is working like a champ!!!

Kris
Old 09-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #36
USNAVY
Thumbs Must Hurt

It seems like most people that are experiencing problems are those of us who are upgrading from one BB to the 8320.

Well I've never owned a BB, and the 8320 will be my first. I hope that I won't have any issues with the phone due to that fact!
Old 09-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #37
ccantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNAVY View Post
It seems like most people that are experiencing problems are those of us who are upgrading from one BB to the 8320.

Well I've never owned a BB, and the 8320 will be my first. I hope that I won't have any issues with the phone due to that fact!
The problem is not with the phones, it is with the access points. My recommendation ... get the T-Mobile branded Linksys from the T-Mobile store.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:01 PM   #38
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccantrell View Post
I could not get my DIR-655 (firmware 1.05) to work consistently. It would connect UMA but then fail over back to EDGE. I called T-Mobile and finally got a tech who was good and helpful. Basically, the random "drops" or going from UMA back to edge he said was a result of the different vendors and their support for WMM at this point.

In the end, I went a bought a T-Mobile branded router ($0 after rebate) and it works 100% of the time. I was at the point I just wanted it to work and will now take my time to figure out how to make the other vendors to work :D

-chris
Thanks Chris,

I have since had a couple of calls drop out on my DIR-655, fw 1.03 so I upgraded to fw 1.05 and spent about 5 minutes playing with my voicemail with no problems (every so often a slight fraction-of-a-second dropout, though).

The 655 has a highly regarded QoS implementation that does WMM optimization by default and I've read a couple of web reports that mentioned WMM in connection with UMA phones, but even if it really does play a role that is only half of the story. WMM seems to be a WiFi protocol so it makes sure your wireless packets are handled well, but in terms of bandwidth through the broadband connection QoS would probably be important there.

So, while I was on the phone with my voicemail I looked at my router's status displays and found that there were 4 connections going to my phone. Two connections on port 500 were priority rated at 130, 1 on 4500 rated 128 and one on 59214 rated 128. All of the other connections seemed rated 128 by default as well and the Help screen said that "lower is better". This would seem to indicate that the DIR-655 is not applying QoS (favorably) to the UMA streams, no?

What does your T-Mobile branded D-Link show? Does it have an "Internet Sessions" status page? Does it have any visible QoS settings in the menus that might apply to UMA streams?
Old 09-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #39
gana2k

Carrier: TMobile
Default UMA Not working?

For the life of me, cannot get wi-fi working in my house.
I have a Belkin Pre-N router, but trying to connect gets me a w010: Wi-Fi association failed. When i look at the wi-fi diagnostics, i see that there is no UMA connectivity. The Reg. UNC Address says punc.t-mobileuncs.com:14001 and the UMC Wi-Fi available should be green but shows nothing

Can anybody help me with trouble shooting tips? Tmo doesn't know and i am on the phone with BB for over 40 minutes - still waiting for a tech support.
Everything else is cool in this phone - just Wi-Fi and UMA not working.

Anybody else have this problem and resolved it?
I did read other posts - i did not restore anything from my previous blackberry and have still not activated my BES until i resolve this issue - so i dont think this is a restore problem. And i have wiped my bb clean
Old 09-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #40
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-25-2007 at 02:57 AM..
Closed Thread