BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:59 PM   #21
chips
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Wiping the handheld and using Advanced Restore worked for me. But in addition I also had to resend the Services Books. It is a great device.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:06 PM   #22
theuberprof

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips View Post
Wiping the handheld and using Advanced Restore worked for me. But in addition I also had to resend the Services Books. It is a great device.
Yeah, I actually had to too. I didn't mention it because resending Service Books (and re-registering the host routing tables) is kind of Standard Operating Procedure for troubleshooting the BlackBerry.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #23
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuberprof View Post
I think he's referring to the initial restore to transfer his data from the Pearl to the Curve. He's not experiencing the issue now, he's trying to prevent it.

The bottom line is, if you ever use the restore feature to migrate from another BlackBerry to the 8320, you should use the Advanced function and transfer only data (address book, messages, etc).
Correct. I don't have a Curve yet, but either way, I appreciate the advice. I figured it would be a good step to setup WiFi first and then do the selective restore from the Pearl to the Curve.

My only thing about getting the Curve, is that I'm still only 1 year into my 2 year contract with TMO, so my price is $399...ouch. To think I've been with TMO for about 4 years now...maybe I could sweet talk them into the $299...doubtful, but it's worth a try.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:14 PM   #24
chips

Smile

Quote:
Yeah, I actually had to too. I didn't mention it because resending Service Books (and re-registering the host routing tables) is kind of Standard Operating Procedure for troubleshooting the BlackBerry.
Only for the experts but not for novices like me.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #25
theuberprof

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrcncp View Post
My only thing about getting the Curve, is that I'm still only 1 year into my 2 year contract with TMO, so my price is $399...ouch. To think I've been with TMO for about 4 years now...maybe I could sweet talk them into the $299...doubtful, but it's worth a try.
Don't pay the $399. Pay $449, which is the no extension price. $399 is the two year contract price for people in your situation (and mine, actually). AFAIK, it would add another two years to your existing contract, making it a full three years before you can get the best possible discount on your next phone.

The extra $50 is worth it not to have to extend my contract two years.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #26
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107
Default UMA lost to Repair

Indeed its a service book issue. From the HoFo thread that this OP posted same resolution is there because you do NOT have the option to manually input settings for UMA from Tmobile. PUSH service books from BIS or Register Host Routing Table SHOULD resolve this issue. Unfortunately its gonna take me just a little longer than I planned to source an 8320 to quantify this statement but I'm almost sure of it!

Think of it? Only a handful of wireless providers across the world have GSM & UMA service implemented and thus a small varying need to manually enter all kinds of settings is NOT necessary if a service book push can send them & ACTIVATE them immediately - just reconnect to the Access Point and Voila, you're connected. Check in service books or better yet in the WiFi diagnostics and you'll see the settings for the UMA connection - voici!

There is mention on HoFo that somebody posted specifics listed.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:36 PM   #27
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830

Quote:
Don't pay the $399. Pay $449, which is the no extension price. $399 is the two year contract price for people in your situation (and mine, actually). AFAIK, it would add another two years to your existing contract, making it a full three years before you can get the best possible discount on your next phone.

The extra $50 is worth it not to have to extend my contract two years.
True...I'll have to think about it, I don't mind being in a contract with them, but you do make a good point about the 3 years total.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:44 PM   #28
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
I had different options for UMA and Voice Control than what I see right now, it's almost as if the switch device wizard dumbed down my Curve to Pearl status in some regards.
I have confirmed this - using the switch device wizard in the BB Desktop screws up your 8320 when coming from the 8100. The things that I have now recovered with a wipe and selective restore of only data are Mobile Network -> Connection Preference, UMA indicators and proper routing, and the Wi-fi wizard recognizes UMA now. Who knows what other oddities were in there I didn't know about, yay for catching this right away instead of 2 weeks from now.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #29
jscottcj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T

is it completely stupid of me to ask if an ATT user purchases and unlocks an 8320, will UMA be available on the ATT network after unlocking is completed???
Old 09-22-2007, 10:58 PM   #30
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottcj View Post
is it completely stupid of me to ask if an ATT user purchases and unlocks an 8320, will UMA be available on the ATT network after unlocking is completed???
Not stupid - no, it will not work. Think of UMA like a VPN connection - it takes a server part in addition to the client part to function; it's T-Mobile's infrastructure providing the UMA endpoints for us, AT&T has none.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #31
theuberprof

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottcj View Post
It's not stupid, but that doesn't mean UMA will work with AT&T. It won't. AT&T offers the BlackBerry 8820 which supports UMA (as a device), but AT&T's network doesn't support UMA. No UMA features will work with AT&T.

However, Wi-Fi will work for data and the like. Just not calls.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #32
zero7404

Model: 9530
Carrier: tmob

so wait, i'm just a low-on-the-food-chain BIS Pearl user with Tmo. now I am planning to get the 8320, should I NOT do a switch device wizard with it ? I have some 3rd party apps i wish to carry over along with all my personal info contacts, calendar, etc....

i don't want to corrupt the new device, so if i can sync specific items to it like address book, etc. i can add the 3rd party apps manually.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #33
theuberprof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
i don't want to corrupt the new device, so if i can sync specific items to it like address book, etc. i can add the 3rd party apps manually.
Do that. Look for my posts above for details on how, as well as my posts on Pinstack (sorry for you Pinstack haters) here.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #34
zero7404

Model: 9530
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Do that. Look for my posts above for details on how, as well as my posts on Pinstack (sorry for you Pinstack haters) here.
so switch device wizard can be used to just transfer things like the address book or calendar items ?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #35
rivviepop

Quote:
so wait, i'm just a low-on-the-food-chain BIS Pearl user with Tmo. now I am planning to get the 8320, should I NOT do a switch device wizard with it ? I have some 3rd party apps i wish to carry over along with all my personal info contacts, calendar, etc....
In the interests of not taking this thread further offtopic, I'm going to followup in a new thread I just created. Catch a response from me over there:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ce-wizard.html

This thread was for UMA specific issues, let's leave it that way.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:09 PM   #36
theuberprof

Quote:
so switch device wizard can be used to just transfer things like the address book or calendar items ?
To be honest, I never used the switch device wizard. I just used the Backup/Restore function in Desktop Manager. I don't know if the switch device wizard will allow you to selectively transfer stuff.

Unless someone else confirms that you can, I'd recommend making a backup of your Pearl, then following my Pinstack directions (read all three posts). I think my Pinstack directions are easier to follow then the ones on here.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:34 PM   #37
frontheadlock

Carrier: T-Mo
Default n00b question

Well here's a unique situation.. I have an iMac, and I don't use bootcamp to run the packaged software to connect to my bberry.. I use pocketmac instead

Well I had a Pearl and used to sync my contacts with that. All I really wanted was to sync my iCal and Address Books, and I achieved that. I bought the 8320 Curve and being a n00b, I just plugged it in and hit sync. It synced my contacts (which oddly didn't transfer with the sim card at all) and my calendars.. However, I'm having problems with Opera 3.1 or 4.0 beta 2 being installed and working on my phone. Do you think my sync had anything to do with this? I also can't really tell the difference in speed between Edge & UMA, so I'm thinking perhaps I need to do this wipe as well? I have a Wi-Fi connection. I don't use the @home service though.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #38
kasperapd

Carrier: AT&T

I can't believe this is such a hassle. I've tried the advanced restore and I'm still not having any luck. Enough for tonight. I'm going to bed.

Please try a Search
Old 09-23-2007, 12:06 AM   #39
theuberprof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperapd View Post
I can't believe this is such a hassle. I've tried the advanced restore and I'm still not having any luck. Enough for tonight. I'm going to bed.
Here's a more in-depth tutorial I wrote for another forum. I figure it's time I posted it here instead of pointing people to another site. I cleaned it up, and made it easier to follow:

If you do a full restore from a previous device (Pearl for me), it will remove the option to set a connection preference. It might be a Service Book entry that is transfered from the old device, but I'm not sure.

The solution is to Wipe Handheld in General Security Options. Go to Options > Security Options > General Settings. Press the menu button, then hit "Wipe Handheld."

After it is done wiping, it should act like you just bought it. Go to Options > Mobile Network. You should see three fields that you can change. Data Services should be On, Connection Preference should be Wi-Fi Preferred, and Network Selection Mode should be Automatic.

Now, plug your old device (A Pearl, for example) into your computer. Do a full backup using the Backup/Restore function of Desktop Manager.

Now plug the new device into your computer, and do an advanced restore. Press Backup/Restore, then hit Advanced. The data on the device is displayed on the right. Click File > Open and open the backup file you created from your old device. This will display the data from the backup IPD. On the left, click on the category you want to move to the phone (Address Book, etc), and click on the arrow pointing to the right to transfer it.

Here's the important part: Only transfer data, things like contacts, messages, URLs, call logs, etc. Leave out service books, options, and other non-personal stuff.

You should now be good to go. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #40
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

The FAQ is clear. Thanks.
WiFi on BlackBerrys- General Questions - BlackBerryFAQ
Closed Thread