BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 10:36 PM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default FAQ: What Are The Methods of Receiving Email On BlackBerry?

Please Login to Remove!

What Are The Methods of Receiving Email On BlackBerry?

I noticed on several forums that this is a commonly asked question. So I am posting. There are several ways to get emails into a BlackBerry. BlacKBerry does not use a conventional email client, using a push technology. However, you can integrate nearly any email account including POP and IMAP and Exchange and even add support for Hotmail/GMail/etc email accounts.
  1. BIS / BWC email address. (See Glossary) This is the free push email address included with all BlackBerry plans. Most common method for consumers/prosumers. Send the email to the free YOURNAME@carrier.blackberry.net email address. This is true push email, as email will show up instantly on the BlackBerry (in just 5 seconds in many cases) the moment someone sends it from a desktop computer. No need to check email, it shows up immediately on your BlackBerry screen, SMS-style or pager-style! To access to your @blackberry.net email account, See BWC/BIS Login Instructions.
    Tip For Advanced Users: When adding new POP/IMAP accounts to your BWC/BIS account, try entering dummy information for username/password. This will get you straight to the Advanced Server Page, which allows more configuration such as for Secure Password Authentication, etc.
  2. POP and IMAP email. This is available with all BWC accounts above. The BWC webmail site has a configuration that allows you to enter POP hostnames, usernames and passwords for a certain number of POP accounts. Your BWC will automatically check email every 15 minutes and forward a copy of messages to your BlackBerry. This is not true push email; you must send email directly to the @blackberry.net address (or use BES). Information from BlackBerry website
  3. Email forwarding. Configure your existing email addresses to automatically forward a copy to your BWC email address (the one ending in blackberry.net). This will allow you to have a different email address while retaining push email capability, for those cases you do not need a BES. For example, GMAIL supports forwarding.
  4. Third party email software such as GMAIL Mobile (Gmail via BlackBerry Browser). These software behaves as separate clients separate from the BlackBerry Messages Inbox and have tradeoffs, such as not having vibrate alerts, and/or slower synchronization, and/or user interface issues. However, these clients can be very useful for separating your personal email away from your business email, by providing your BlackBerry with a separate, independent Inbox.
  5. BlackBerry Redirector. This is a special software program included on a CD included with BlackBerries, that you can install on your computer. You can run it on a home computer or office computer -- just leave the computer on 24 hours a day. The software will watch for new emails arriving in Microsoft Outlook and then automatically forward a copy of these emails to your BlackBerry. (No BES needed). But you must keep your computer running 24 hours a day to get copies of your email. As a result, not many people like using this method.
  6. Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES). If your company gave you your BlackBerry, you are probably running on this too as well. This can be purchased as a server for full internal integration with corporate email, (expensive) or as a BES (MDS) Hosting service for more individual integration (cheaper). Mainly used by corporations, although some prosumers have purchased BES/MDS Hosting services. This is the preferred corporate method of push email, fastest and most secure, and allows you to have your own custom domain names. It interfaces with Exchange Server (or Lotus Domino, or soon Groupwise) and allows your BlackBerry to automatically mirror your Exchange Inbox. Wireless email sync capabilities means that if you delete email on your BlackBerry, it also gets deleted from the desktop. There are other benefits to BES. For example, Version 4.0 of BES also adds wireless over-the--air Addressbook/Calendar/Notes/Tasks synchronization. More information for the full corporate version is found here. Alternatively, you can get BES Hosting Service if you don't want to purchase the full server. The full server itself can cost over a thousand dollars, while getting hosting service for one BlackBerry typically costs less than $25 per month.
All six of the above can be used simultaneously on different email addresses, into the same BlackBerry "Inbox" (Messages screen).

Quote:
This is a "Mark Rejhon BlackBerry FAQ" article.
Copyright (C) 2005 by Mark Rejhon, All Rights Reserved. Some portions may be Copyright (C) by respective forum members.
Mark Rejhon grants permission to use this article only for private use. For all other uses, please ask Mark Rejhon at Mark Rejhon - aka Marky - Home Page of Mark D. Rejhon to ask for permission to use this article. If any content of this article also contains content by other forum members, please ask them for permission too as well. This includes commercial use, public use, reposting in full/part anywhere on the Internet, publication in magazine/book or any other media, or any other use than private use. This copyright notice may not be edited or removed in any manner. Mark Rejhon reserves exclusive right to edit, remove, or restore this article, and this article may not be edited, removed, or restored by any other individual or organizations.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 11-16-2006 at 05:45 PM..
Old 09-24-2004, 11:39 AM   #2
Hoop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Great post Mark!

These are exactly the scenarios I have been investigating.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

If anybody else can let me know of additional methods of receiving email on a BlackBerry, please post in here.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-21-2004, 03:16 PM   #4
pwc

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Dumb Question

Pardon what is probably a dumb question.

I'm considering getting a blackberry (and don't have access to BES service)

If I configure my POP email to forward to my blackberry email -- and I reply to that email from my blackberry -- will the recipient see my blackberry email address or my POP email address in the "from" field.

Hope that question makes sense. Thanks, in advance, for your help with this. I'm just beginning to learn about the world of blackberries!!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:00 PM   #5
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

If you configure the BWC "From", yes you can have your original POP email address.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=770
Old 02-21-2005, 06:31 PM   #6
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

COMCAST and GMAIL users,
follow these instructions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMCAST Users
How do I forward COMCAST e-mail to another address?
  1. Sign in to Comcast Webmail. Select Email Options from the left menu.
  2. Select Forwarding from the Mail Options window.
  3. Click Edit/View E-mail Forwarding from the Comcast E-mail Settings list.
  4. Select Yes for Enable E-mail Forwarding.
  5. To keep a copy of the message on the Comcast mail servers in addition to forwarding it to another address, select Yes for Keep a local copy
  6. Enter your e-mail forwarding address in the Forwarding e-mail address field.
  7. Click update to enable e-mail Forwarding.
Credits: This FAQ is from COMCAST.com's FAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAIL Users
To forward your GMAIL email to another email address automatically:
  1. Select Settings from the top Gmail navigation bar.
  2. Go to the Forwarding and POP tab.
  3. Make sure Forward a copy of incoming mail to __ and __ is selected und Forwarding:.
  4. Enter the desired email address.
  5. Choose how Gmail should handle forwarded messages.
  6. Select "keep Gmail's copy" in the Inbox to have Gmail leave the message in your Gmail Inbox as new and unread.
  7. Click Save Changes.
Credits: This FAQ is from ABOUT.com's GMail Forwarding FAQ
IMPORTANT:
Don't forget to remove that particular email account from BWC, before you follow the above instructions for forwarding a particular email account. Since forwarding is quicker than the BWC "pull" feature.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 03-14-2005 at 12:41 PM..
Old 03-05-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
ddilmanian

Model: 8120
Default should i use redirector or web client???

Mark;
You seem very knowledgable about blackberrys, so i thought i would ask you about my problems.
i am purchasing several blackberrys for people in our office including myself and i can't decide if we should all use redirector or webclient.
none of us really travel too much, we spend 75% of our time in the office at our computers.
i find that using web client you get all your messages duplicated to the blackberry so if you've read and/or deleted 100+ e-mails during the day, when you go home that night you will have the same 100+ e-mails in your blackberry as unread that you have to go through and figure out where you left off.
1) am i doing something wrong? or is this how it works?
i like the idea of the redirector that it reconciles your e-mails so if you check it on the computer or on the blackberry they reconcile each other.
but the benefit of the web client is that you can open attachments easily...
2) is there an easy way to open attachments using redirector, without having to forward the message to a third party and having it sent back to you in an e-mail?
i also noticed the web client has a 10mb capacity, i believe this capacity is only on the web client and not on the blackberry so if you set up the web client to automatically delete your messages every 1 day then you shouldn't have a problem,
3) but does this mean you can not receive messages over 10mb to your blackberry? does redirector have a capacity?
my other concern is when i reply to messages or forward messages from my blackberry....
4) will they show up in my SENT box on my computer at work if i use web client? how about redirector?
and also, how do you suggest i handle my yahoo and g-mail accounts that i check less often that my work e-mail.
5) should i forward them to webclient using POP? will they still show up on yahoo and g-mail if i do that?
thank you very much for your time, i appreciate any help you can give me, i hope i didn't overwhelm you.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:09 AM   #8
kinger
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Mark, thanks for the above information on mail forwarding a comcast account. But if I delete the comcast account from BWC, how do I select it as the sent from addresss?
Old 03-06-2005, 03:22 AM   #9
kinger

mevermind I just saw the custom sent from address option
Old 03-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #10
kinger

Default SPAM WARNING!!!

Just a quick warning for those that want to use this method for recieving their email from comcast (mail forwarding). I have noticed a large increase in spam sent to my blackberry since changing to mail forwarding. I am assuming that once mail fowarding is activated, all mail is forwarded before comcast's built in filters check the messages. I have noticed mail that was sent to my blackberry that didn't show up on my comcast account. I have added some filters to my BWC, but there filter system is very basic, so a large amount still gets through.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #11
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Default Re: should i use redirector or web client???

(1)/(2)/(3)/(4) To solve your problem, I recommend BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). See my Hosted BES FAQ at my http://www.BerryFAQ.com and you will see how to get BES relatively inexpensively at $10 to $25 per month. This gives you wireless synchronization:

- Wireless synchronization of incoming emails
- Wireless synchronization of sent/deleted emails
- Wireless synchronization of unread/read status
- Wireless synchronization of Calendar
- Wireless synchronization of Addressbook (BES4 + OS4)
- Wireless synchronization of Tasks (BES4 + OS4)
- Massive amount of storage for attachments
- True push email, slightly faster than BWC
- More reliable than BWC (less likely to overload itself)
- No need to leave your work computers turned on at all times.
- Ability to kill your BlackBerries remotely if your BlackBerry is stolen, your private info is safe!
- MDS is faster than the BlackBerry TCP/IP stack
- Spam filtering is easier to do

At only $10 to $25 per month for BES Hosting, it's well worth it! If you can afford it, get a Small Business Edition BES; it will pay for itself after about a year. (Mailstreet hosting times 4 employees times a year, can pretty much equal the cost of a Small Business Edition BES) BES is expensive but for your type of business, it sounds like it should be very worthwhile because of your specific needs.

(5) You can use BWC simultaneously with the BES method, so you can use GMAIL/Yahoo POP or forwarding, independently of the BES method for your main work emails. Or you can even forward your GMAIL to your BES email address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddilmanian
Mark;
You seem very knowledgable about blackberrys, so i thought i would ask you about my problems.
i am purchasing several blackberrys for people in our office including myself and i can't decide if we should all use redirector or webclient.
none of us really travel too much, we spend 75% of our time in the office at our computers.
i find that using web client you get all your messages duplicated to the blackberry so if you've read and/or deleted 100+ e-mails during the day, when you go home that night you will have the same 100+ e-mails in your blackberry as unread that you have to go through and figure out where you left off.
1) am i doing something wrong? or is this how it works?
i like the idea of the redirector that it reconciles your e-mails so if you check it on the computer or on the blackberry they reconcile each other.
but the benefit of the web client is that you can open attachments easily...
2) is there an easy way to open attachments using redirector, without having to forward the message to a third party and having it sent back to you in an e-mail?
i also noticed the web client has a 10mb capacity, i believe this capacity is only on the web client and not on the blackberry so if you set up the web client to automatically delete your messages every 1 day then you shouldn't have a problem,
3) but does this mean you can not receive messages over 10mb to your blackberry? does redirector have a capacity?
my other concern is when i reply to messages or forward messages from my blackberry....
4) will they show up in my SENT box on my computer at work if i use web client? how about redirector?
and also, how do you suggest i handle my yahoo and g-mail accounts that i check less often that my work e-mail.
5) should i forward them to webclient using POP? will they still show up on yahoo and g-mail if i do that?
thank you very much for your time, i appreciate any help you can give me, i hope i didn't overwhelm you.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:45 PM   #12
ddilmanian

Model: 8120

Mark, thanks very much for your suggestions, just a few follow up questions:
1) how much is a a Small Business Edition BES?
2) is mailstreet.com $23 per month for one user or the whole company?
3) does hosted BES (i.e. mailstreet) allow you to view all attachments (i.e. word, excel, pdf, pictures, and videos) instantly like BWC?
4) does hosted BES give you AIM?
5) if i set up my yahoo and gmail to POP to the blackberry, do copies of incoming e-mails show up on those accounts as well or just the blackberry?
thanks again.
Dan
Old 03-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #13
dzervit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

I have a quick ? on #5. So the BlackBerry Redirector ONLY works with Exchange? Groupwise & Notes users are forced to use BWC or poney up the fat cash for BES?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:12 AM   #14
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Default I was just about to post....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzervit
I have a quick ? on #5. So the BlackBerry Redirector ONLY works with Exchange? Groupwise & Notes users are forced to use BWC or poney up the fat cash for BES?
a warning about this. AFAIK, the Redirector does NOT work with Lotus Notes. I've tried to install it, no go. However, there is a "replacement" for the Redirector available (see #3 below)

There are alternatives if you are a Notes user:

1. You can try creating an Agent or Rule to forward your Notes e-mail. With Version 5 this doesn't seem to work so well as the form in which Notes forwards the e-mails is really not suited to replying (at least in my case it wasn't); with Notes 6 I can't seem to get the forwarding to work. But if you CAN do this it results in essentially true push e-mail (your PC has to be on all the time, of course);

2. If your organization uses iNotes then BWC can pull your messages from the web and you don't need to run a computer 24/7. This is how I do it and while it's not true push it functions well enough. You get this option by setting up your e-mail from the BWC;

3. If you set up your e-mail from the BWC and choose the option OTHER than iNotes then BWC will download a small app to a PC you keep on 24/7 which will act as a redirector, essentially. If you need true PUSH but can't get Notes forwarding to work this is the best option.

Hope the above helps a bit.

=NLK=
Old 03-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #15
woyteg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Just a short note about "pushing emails" from Gmail account by forwarding. I don't know if this is temporary thing but both sent and forwarded type emails from Gmail need more than few minutes to leave the gmail server as I think. When I was checking the delivery speed from gmail, it took almost an hour to receive email on my BB which I sent from gmail account. Same thing when I sent email to Gmail account which was set up for forwarding emaul to my BB. I don't know but I hope this is something temporary, b'se I really like to use gmail as a "archive" to everything I sent or receive.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #16
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddilmanian
Mark, thanks very much for your suggestions, just a few follow up questions:
1) how much is a a Small Business Edition BES?
2) is mailstreet.com $23 per month for one user or the whole company?
3) does hosted BES (i.e. mailstreet) allow you to view all attachments (i.e. word, excel, pdf, pictures, and videos) instantly like BWC?
4) does hosted BES give you AIM?
5) if i set up my yahoo and gmail to POP to the blackberry, do copies of incoming e-mails show up on those accounts as well or just the blackberry?
thanks again.
Dan
1) Approximately $1500 -- Please ask your BES questions in the BES Admin corner.
2) $23 per month per employee.
3) Yes. Attachments supported.
4) No, but it "enables" access to third party AIM services using the MDS feature.
5) That's a BWC question, not a BES question. BES doesn't do POP, but you can run BWC and BES simultaneously. For BWC, copies show up at Yahoo/Gmail and on the BlackBerry. For BES, copies show up at your Outlook/Exchange email box and on the BlackBerry.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:37 PM   #17
shutchinson

Sorry for the complete newb question, but...

I just received a 7100g from Cingular, and have it configured for my company's BES server. That works fine. I am now trying to configure it to receive my POP email account, but can't seem to find any blackberry info for Cingular. Am I just missing something something that's in front of my face someplace?

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Old 03-19-2005, 03:48 PM   #18
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

You need to set up a "BWC" account. Go to http://www.cingular.com/blackberry - can't be much easier than that!

Enjoy!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:49 AM   #19
DanRollman

Model: 8310
Default Multiple "From" Addresses

Anyone know of a way to be able to select from multiple "From" (i.e. Reply-to) addresses when replying to a message on my Blackberry? I am familiar with customizing the Return email address so that a personal email address, rather than the carrier.blackberry.net address is used, but any way to have multiple personal email addresses for the From field, from which I can select on a per-message basis?

In MS Outlook, when I compose a new message, I can drop down the "Accounts" list to select an account (and corresponding email address) to reply from. Any way to do something similar on my Blackberry so that one message I send can appear to be from one email address and the next message I send can appear to be from a different email address?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #20
jrm42

What's up y'all?

So I just got my BB 7290 today and we are debating on the best way to connect to email. We're a small business - 2 BB users (Can't afford $1,500 for BES).

1. The BB manual made it seem like you can use the Redirector software even if you don't have an inhouse email server. We've been trying to get it to work, but it keeps giving us Memory errors when it tries to initialize. Can we actually use Redirector if we don't have Microsoft Exchange?

2. Also, is there no hope for the poor BB users who don't want to have to constantly delete emails from the BB and desktop. Is any other way to sync emails? Does redirector do that?

3. Regarding file sizes. The T-Mobile rep mentioned that the BB doesn't download all emails but that it just shows the subject title and you can open/ download only those emails that you really want to see. Is this true, or does it download ALL email. It's seems like a junk mail is a part of everyone's life these days. What's the best way to combat this? Currently, I use filters within Microsoft Outlook 2003 to move most of my junk email to either the "trash" or "junk" folders. If forward all emails to my BB, then I'll have to sift through all that junk on the road. This is especially important for me as I do a lot of international travel. When roaming, every MB downloaded is money.

Thanks so much for the info. This forum is great!
Closed Thread