Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
Chadd

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Thinking of switching from bold to tour

Please Login to Remove!

I have been with ATT for several years now and picked up the bold when it was released. I have been very happy with the Bold but I am fed up with ATT poor excuse for a network and an ready to change back to a CMDA carrier again.

From reading specs/features and playing with the Tour for a bit I can't help but feel the Tour is a step down from the Bold in both build quality and features. Anyway just curious if any of you out there have made the move from the Bold to the Tour and if so have you been happy with it or have you regretted it?

I love the Bold but hate the network.

Thanks,
Chadd
Old 10-12-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Lets Go Canes!)

I would check on status of 9700 which should be out with AT&T next month.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Chadd

The 9700 still isn't going to be a CDMA phone though is it? Like I said the only reason I am looking to move away from the Bold is to get off of ATT's network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Lets Go Canes!)

I would check on status of 9700 which should be out with AT&T next month.

Thanks,
Chadd
Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
SD350

Model: 9630

tour has a better camera :/

haha. I've never used a bold, but I love my tour.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
I have been with ATT for several years now and picked up the bold when it was released. I have been very happy with the Bold but I am fed up with ATT poor excuse for a network and an ready to change back to a CMDA carrier again.

From reading specs/features and playing with the Tour for a bit I can't help but feel the Tour is a step down from the Bold in both build quality and features. Anyway just curious if any of you out there have made the move from the Bold to the Tour and if so have you been happy with it or have you regretted it?

I love the Bold but hate the network.

Thanks,
Chadd
I like the Tour (got to play with one). Great camera and on-board memory. I like the form factor (smaller than my Bold) but I use my Wifi all the time and couldn't really live without it.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 10-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Chadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
I like the Tour (got to play with one). Great camera and on-board memory. I like the form factor (smaller than my Bold) but I use my Wifi all the time and couldn't really live without it.

E-
I use the wifi quite a bit on my Bold, mainly because the ATT 3G network sucks so bad though. If I switch it would probably be to sprint and it appears their data coverage is a ton better than ATT so the wifi may not be as important with Sprint.

I am not sure what is up with ATT but the last 8 months service in our area has went downhill quickly, we used to get very good service at our home and now most of the time our phones are on SOS only. I have called them and they don't give a squat and try to tell you that it is your phone, even though friends, neighbors are having the same issues. Even in areas around here that have good 3G service you get dropped calls, poor call quality and the data network is super slow. I think they are having capacity issues or something.

Chadd
Old 10-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
I use the wifi quite a bit on my Bold, mainly because the ATT 3G network sucks so bad though. If I switch it would probably be to sprint and it appears their data coverage is a ton better than ATT so the wifi may not be as important with Sprint.

I am not sure what is up with ATT but the last 8 months service in our area has went downhill quickly, we used to get very good service at our home and now most of the time our phones are on SOS only. I have called them and they don't give a squat and try to tell you that it is your phone, even though friends, neighbors are having the same issues. Even in areas around here that have good 3G service you get dropped calls, poor call quality and the data network is super slow. I think they are having capacity issues or something.

Chadd
Actually, I have zero issues with 3G coverage in my area. The main need to Wifi is data and voice at the same time. I am emailing and talking on the phone at the same time. I really do think the Tour is a neat device, if they could only cram wifi into the same footprint I would switch in a heartbeat!

Good Luck!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 10-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys

I had a bold and hated it. have the tour now and adore it. I don't regret changing for a moment. I have better coverage, call quality, camera, more app space and a smaller form factor. The keyboard is amazing (very similar to bold) and I don't notice a difference in speed for what I use my BB for.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I too loved my Bold but got fed up with AT&T. In my area of northern NJ, Sprint's coverage is equal to or better than AT&T's, so switching to Sprint (and cutting my monthly bill in half with the same plan features) was a no-brainer. I checked out coverage first though, talking to local Sprint users before making the jump. Coverage is key.
I actually left AT&T to get the Palm Pre (now my backup phone) and missed BlackBerry so much that about 2 or 3 weeks after jumping ship I bought a BlackBerry Curve 8330m. I missed the Bold's keypad though, so when Sprint released the Tour a couple of weeks after that I upgraded. Best move I ever made!
Old 10-14-2009, 01:06 AM   #10
Chadd

Default Picked up the tour today

Ahh it feels so good to finally dump ATT.

At this point about the only thing I miss on the Bold is the slightly wider screen and the keyboard on the Tour is a bit smallish when compared to the Bold. But I can actually use the phone to make calls and use the data service through Sprint at my home. I haven't had any issues with the Tour quality wise so far, the trackball works good and I haven't seen any of the issues listed here yet.

Thanks,
Chadd
Old 10-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #11
SD350

Nice! Welcome. I always get scoffed at by att and verizon folks, but I love sprint. More coverage and a great phone for a lot less $$$. With the new any mobile any time, their everything data plans are basically unlimited plans unless you call land lines A LOT.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Going from AT&T to Sprint, I cut my monthly bill (same plan features) from $104 to $54. Same or better network coverage in my area as well. Those discounts Sprint offers for employers really pays off!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
Chadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Going from AT&T to Sprint, I cut my monthly bill (same plan features) from $104 to $54. Same or better network coverage in my area as well. Those discounts Sprint offers for employers really pays off!
Yep my Wife works at an SSM hospital and sprint gave us a sizable monthly discount for it. Our sprint bill is quite a bit cheaper than what we were paying ATT and we have more options/minutes on the account to boot.

No complaints so far

Thanks,
Chadd
Old 10-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
njbianco

Carrier: sprint

I definitely wouldn't say its a step down i consider them about equal devices, although the tour may not got wifi its other features to make up for that. Tours got 3.2 mp wile bold has 2.0 mp, the tour slightly higher resolution screen, tours got 256 Mb of flash memory wile bold only has 128 Mb. I definitely wouldn't call it a downgrade i consider em about equal.
But I would agree to get off at&t's network and get onto a more reliable cdma network.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #15
Luq07

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

The Tour is a step down. Here are my catalog of issues (none are carrier related).
1. Can't get email/BBIM while on phone with Tour (Bold can).
2. No WiFi
3. Tour gets hot when doing a lot of data/talking. Hot enough that I don't want to carry it and talk and always use my headset.
4. Battery life sucks even with OS 5.0.0.230.
5. Phone locks up with Facebook app or randomly reboots.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #16
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

1. Yup. That's a failing of the current implementation of CDMA. GSM does that better, no doubt.
2. Yup. For me it's no big deal. EVDO Rev.A is plenty fast enough, and I never used WiFi on my Bold. Some folks might need/use it more, but for me, my real world usage patterns made it superfluous.
3. Bold's did this too. My current Tour never does. Maybe update the OS?
4. My battery life is at least as good as it was on my Bold. I'm using OS 4.7.1.57 though. Perhaps there is a battery issue with OS 5. It's not an official release so anything is possible. You cannot reasonably expect every leaked beta to function like the finished product.
5. Facebook 1.7 has some issues for a few folks. Not for me, but YMMV.

I would suggest downgrading to 4.7.1.57 and see if these issues disappear. Changing the OS won't help 1 & 2 of course, but it might help 3, 4, & 5.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #17
njbianco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luq07 View Post
The Tour is a step down. Here are my catalog of issues (none are carrier related).
1. Can't get email/BBIM while on phone with Tour (Bold can).
2. No WiFi
3. Tour gets hot when doing a lot of data/talking. Hot enough that I don't want to carry it and talk and always use my headset.
4. Battery life sucks even with OS 5.0.0.230.
5. Phone locks up with Facebook app or randomly reboots.
1. tour is on cdma it cant do data wile talk thats only a gsm feature
2. like rambo said rev. a is fast enough i dont feel a need for wifi i never had any network problems my phone is constantly at 1XEV
3. My tour has never got hot unless its on the charger
4. My tours battery life is equal to my old bold and im running 5.0.0.230 i use my phone heavy all day by bed time my phones always at 50%
5. Had the phone since late july and havent had 1 random reboot or have my facebook freeze or any freeze of any sort, ive never had any problems with .230 but remember it is a beta
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #18
lbrty9
Knows Where the Search Button Is

My Tour is GSM capable, so would it be able to do data and voice simultaneously if I put it on the GSM network?

It also doesn't get hot, never has less than half a charge at the end of the day with fairly heavy use, and I run FB frequently and never had it lock up.

But hey, I've only had it for 2 weeks now, but I love it!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #19
njbianco

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrty9 View Post
My Tour is GSM capable, so would it be able to do data and voice simultaneously if I put it on the GSM network?

It also doesn't get hot, never has less than half a charge at the end of the day with fairly heavy use, and I run FB frequently and never had it lock up.

But hey, I've only had it for 2 weeks now, but I love it!
Most definitely if you run the tour threw a gsm network it will definitely do simultaneous voice and data as long as its on 3g
Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #20
joeygator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330

I'm not sure about the voice and data on GSM side of the Tour. If the Tour just has edge, there would be no voice and data on a GSM carrier. The voice and data on the Bold only works if you 3G rather than edge connection, or wifi.
Closed Thread