Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
DennisR89

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Student
Question Problems with connection to WiFi network

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I've bought myself a BB 8900 for 2 days ago.
I didn't take an internet account cause I knew that it was possible to go on the internet with your phone by using WiFi. (So I thought: 'Why should I take an extra internet account?' I'm a student so..)

But I tried for many times but I can't use the internet!! I've read a lot on this website/forum and I think I've the same problem like this user:

blackberryforums.com/wifi-hotzone/204105-wifi-8900-problems.html

Quote:
but when i go to manage connections..wifi is ticked, " but theres only a white (-) beside it not a green tick!
That's the same problem I have... How could I change that?

I tried on more WiFi networks, but still got the same problem. There is a problem that he can't find an IP adress or something like that.

Please help me cause it's really frustrating me, I've read the whole manual, the FAQ on internet and searched through topics to find out how fix that problem, but didn't find it.

Thank you very much and please let me know something is unclear. I'll try to explain.

Gr. Dennis R (The Netherlands)
Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Are you trying it at school? A lot of schools make you log in with a password and stuff. Sometimes it doesn't work very well with the berry
Old 09-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Also do you have the appropriate service books?

Options>Advanced>Service Book (should be simple to spot as they should be labeled "wifi".)
Old 09-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

You will never get a green tick if you don't have a Blackberry Data Plan. The green tick means that the Blackberry is accessing the BIS (or BES) server via Wi-Fi.

Without a Blackberry Data Plan you have to use applications that are Wi-Fi aware and don't need BIS access. You should be able to use the Hotspot Browser though apparently some devices are shipped without the necessary service records for the Hotspot Browser.

Why should you take the Blackberry Data Plan on your accout? Because it is far less frustrating using the device that way. The price of saving some money is doing extra work.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
DennisR89

Model: 8900
Carrier: Student

First of all, thank you very much for the very fast replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Are you trying it at school? A lot of schools make you log in with a password and stuff. Sometimes it doesn't work very well with the berry
No I tried it at home, and by some other people. It don't make any difference.

Quote:
do you have the appropriate service books?

Options>Advanced>Service Book (should be simple to spot as they should be labeled "wifi".)
I see the Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser (BrowerserCon..)
and Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport (WPTCP)

and both recordtypes are 'active'.

Quote:
You will never get a green tick if you don't have a Blackberry Data Plan. The green tick means that the Blackberry is accessing the BIS (or BES) server via Wi-Fi.

Without a Blackberry Data Plan you have to use applications that are Wi-Fi aware and don't need BIS access. You should be able to use the Hotspot Browser though apparently some devices are shipped without the necessary service records for the Hotspot Browser

Why should you take the Blackberry Data Plan on your accout? Because it is far less frustrating using the device that way. The price of saving some money is doing extra work.
Hmm I didn't expect this answer. That means like, if you don't have the Blackberry Data Plan, you don't have the possibility to use a Wi-Fi network on a normal way? What my expectations where about the Blackberry (with Wi-Fi) was, that you can use it always and anywhere, like the same way as notebooks/laptops works.

I'll try the hotspotbrowser (Advanced options --> Browser --> Hotspotbrowser) instead of the 'normal' mobile internet browser. Hope that it will work.

But when you've a Blackberry Data Plan, you can use the WiFi if you're in another country then your own? Cause thats an important thing for me too.

Pf, didn't expect that it would be so much work to use the internet on your phone, think Ill go to the shop tomorrow where I bought him, and if they can't help me I'll take the blackberry data plan cause this makes me really feel irritated..

Thank you very much again for the fast replies

With kind regards,
Dennis
Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisR89 View Post

Hmm I didn't expect this answer. That means like, if you don't have the Blackberry Data Plan, you don't have the possibility to use a Wi-Fi network on a normal way? What my expectations where about the Blackberry (with Wi-Fi) was, that you can use it always and anywhere, like the same way as notebooks/laptops works.
Using a Blackberry with a Blackberry Data Plan IS the normal way of using it. You can use it anyway, you just need to use the right tools. Many aren't written to worry about how they are connecting because the RIM infrastructure (that you pay for with your Blackberry Data Plan subscription) takes care of that. With out that infrastructure, connection is more complex, more work for the developer. Some choose not to support that mode. RIM only does with the Hotspot Browser.

Quote:
But when you've a Blackberry Data Plan, you can use the WiFi if you're in another country then your own? Cause thats an important thing for me too.
Should do, lots of people operate in that mode when abroad, search around for their posts. This is one of the cases that the RIM infrastructure is designed to deal with, but it is optimized to get your data through, not minimizing cost. If you want to keep costs down then you need to learn how the system works and optimize it for your needs.

Quote:
Pf, didn't expect that it would be so much work to use the internet on your phone, think Ill go to the shop tomorrow where I bought him, and if they can't help me I'll take the blackberry data plan cause this makes me really feel irritated..
It isn't any more work for me to use Wi-Fi for ALL my data (push email, web, PIN-to-PIN, BES, IM, etc...) than to connect to a Hotspot because I have a Blackberry Data Plan.

If you don't want to take advantages of the RIM infrastructure, and ease of connection is important to you then an iPhone, or more probably an Android based phone may be a better choice.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisR89 View Post
Hello,

I've bought myself a BB 8900 for 2 days ago.
I didn't take an internet account cause I knew that it was possible to go on the internet with your phone by using WiFi. (So I thought: 'Why should I take an extra internet account?' I'm a student so..)

But I tried for many times but I can't use the internet!! I've read a lot on this website/forum and I think I've the same problem like this user:

blackberryforums.com/wifi-hotzone/204105-wifi-8900-problems.html

That's the same problem I have... How could I change that?

I tried on more WiFi networks, but still got the same problem. There is a problem that he can't find an IP adress or something like that.

Please help me cause it's really frustrating me, I've read the whole manual, the FAQ on internet and searched through topics to find out how fix that problem, but didn't find it.

Thank you very much and please let me know something is unclear. I'll try to explain.

Gr. Dennis R (The Netherlands)
Try reading this other forum. There are a lot of things you can do, it just takes working out the settings like the APN and getting apps that can work:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...n-cant-do.html
Closed Thread