BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
three_311

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

I can never use the wifi at home, went through the whole set up new network connections with password and it says "connected" but the wifi logo is always grey. I have changed the data option to "wifi perfered" but that still dosent work. I know when it does work its using the Edge network for data. and when I turn off Mobile network and leave wifi on it always says not able to connect. Im using a BB 8900 with Qwest DSL and a 2wire router/modem. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Sounds like you don't have a Blackberry Data plan. When connected to Wi-Fi the Blackberry will display the router SSID next to the wireless carrier name. The Wi-Fi logo will go bright when the Blackberry connects to the Blackberry Infrastructure, which won't happen if you don't have a Blackberry Data Plan. If that is the case you will have to browse using the Hotspot Browser when connected to Wi-Fi. In the Browser bring up the menu and select Options -> General Properties. Then change the Default Browser to Hotspot Browser. You can change it back when you don't have Wi-Fi coverage.

Last edited by hrbuckley; 04-24-2009 at 10:09 PM..
Old 04-25-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

Sounds like he does have a data plan since it works on the EDGE network as the OP stated...

OP, have you tried taking your router security off to an open network and trying to connect again?? Also, I was unable to connect to a router at my Dads house even when their wifi phones (samsung phones) were able to, all I had to do was change the channel on his router and it works fine now. At his place I would see the ssid next to the network name, but the wifi would not light up and I would never show uma, always EDGE...
Old 04-25-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Also, have you tried a battery pull while the BB is on??
Old 04-25-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
hrbuckley

Wirelessly posted (Bold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider78

Sounds like he does have a data plan since it works on the EDGE network as the OP stated...

OP, have you tried taking your router security off to an open network and trying to connect again?? Also, I was unable to connect to a router at my Dads house even when their wifi phones (samsung phones) were able to, all I had to do was change the channel on his router and it works fine now. At his place I would see the ssid next to the network name, but the wifi would not light up and I would never show uma, always EDGE...
Go back and read my post again.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley
Wirelessly posted (Bold)

Quote:

I read it perfectly fine the first time...your first line says "it sounds like you don't have a data plan". Which he obviously does since his device can browse on edge as he states it does...what am I supposed to re-read???
Old 04-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
three_311

Wirelessly posted

I am supposed to have a Data plan and it seems to work just fine near a T-mobile hot spot. Ive pulled the battery a few times before and stil nothing. Ive tried the wireless network completely open no security and nothing. Ive changed the network channel from 1 to 11 still nothing. Is there some sort of setting on the phone that can help with connecting?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
hrbuckley

Wirelessly posted (Bold)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley
Wirelessly posted (Bold)

Quote:

I read it perfectly fine the first time...your first line says "it sounds like you don't have a data plan". Which he obviously does since his device can browse on edge as he states it does...what am I supposed to re-read???
My first line says "Sounds like you don't have a Blackberry Data plan." Start there.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
hrbuckley

Wirelessly posted (Bold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_311
I am supposed to have a Data plan and it seems to work just fine near a T-mobile hot spot. Ive pulled the battery a few times before and stil nothing. Ive tried the wireless network completely open no security and nothing. Ive changed the network channel from 1 to 11 still nothing. Is there some sort of setting on the phone that can help with connecting?
I still need to know if is a generic Data Plan, or a Blackberry Data Plan. They way you use Wi-Fi, and what the sympoms mean will varry depending on the answer to that question.

Last edited by hrbuckley; 04-25-2009 at 09:28 AM..
Old 04-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
three_311

Im sure its just a generic Data plan from Tmobile
Old 04-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
three_311

I never get a green check next to the Manage Wifi Connections, its always a white dash. I use the wifi for just regular browsing.
Is it possible to use wifi browsing without turning on Mobile network (Edge)? Thats what Im trying to do.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
hrbuckley

Wirelessly posted (Bold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_311
I never get a green check next to the Manage Wifi Connections, its always a white dash. I use the wifi for just regular browsing.
Is it possible to use wifi browsing without turning on Mobile network (Edge)? Thats what Im trying to do.
Ok. I'm away from the Bat Cave at the moment, so all I have to post with is my BB so bear with me.
With a generic data plan you will never see the bright Wi-Fi logo or the green check. Thos are indications that the BB is talking to Blackberry Infrastructure. You have to pay for a Blackberry Data Plan to access the infrastructure. That is why it costs more.
What you will see if you are connected to a hot spot is the name of the hot spot near your carrier's name, and the grey Wi-Fi logo.
If you are concerned about connection quality go to the Connection Manager and Wi-Fi Options. Then from the menu select Wi-Fi Tools -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics. If the signal is good then don't worry about channels etc.
If all that looks good, follow my intructions for using the Hotspot Browser. If you can't browse out through your router, see if you can bring up the Web configuration for the router on the Blackberry. That will tell us if your are getting that far.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
three_311

Wirelessly posted

My router does see my BB as if it has connected before (shows: BLACKBERRY-BF4A)I must have more than just a generic data plan since when Im any where else (work, mall, etc.) I get almost perfect connection without having to do anything. The wifi logo turns bright white and the Edge logo is replaced with UMA. I get the green check mark in Manage Connections and under Wifi Diagnostics I get green checks in VPN, UMA and Blackberry Infrastructure. At home I get the white dash (Manage Connections) and a red x in UMA connection (Error Code: W004, Status: ISP error. DNS server cannot be reached) and a red x in Blackberry Infrastructure Connecting. Im starting to feel that its got to do something with my router, is there a list of modems that aren't working with BB anywhere? Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #14
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_311 View Post
Wirelessly posted

Im starting to feel that its got to do something with my router, is there a list of modems that aren't working with BB anywhere? Thanks for all your help.
I concur.

I haven't seen any. But I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

You didn't mention if your home router SSID appears on the home screen, I'm assuming it does. Does your router support DHCP? Do the DNS servers listed in Wi-Fi Diagnostics make sense?

My BB at home connects to rcp.na.blackberry.com with an IP address of 204.187.87.88. If you have a PC on that router can it look up that domain name. If it can, then you may be able to fix it by providing the BB with a list of DNS servers. I am beginning to think that you do have DHCP but the DNS servers aren't being supplied, or there is something wrong with how they are performing.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:44 PM   #15
three_311

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
I concur.

I haven't seen any. But I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

You didn't mention if your home router SSID appears on the home screen, I'm assuming it does. Does your router support DHCP? Do the DNS servers listed in Wi-Fi Diagnostics make sense?

My BB at home connects to rcp.na.blackberry.com with an IP address of 204.187.87.88. If you have a PC on that router can it look up that domain name. If it can, then you may be able to fix it by providing the BB with a list of DNS servers. I am beginning to think that you do have DHCP but the DNS servers aren't being supplied, or there is something wrong with how they are performing.
Thanks for all your help hrbuckley, but I ended up getting a T-Mobile HotSpot@Home router. Me and my wife figured we needed a new router anyways since my PS3 was always getting a slow connection. But I think you were on the right track, I was using an older 2Wire Home Portal 1700HW and I definitely needed an upgrade. Thanks again
Old 04-26-2009, 12:02 AM   #16
hrbuckley

Wirelessly posted (Bold)

No problem, you are welcome. As long as you are happy with the outcome, that is the main thing.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
Wirelessly posted (Bold)

[...]
With a generic data plan you will never see the bright Wi-Fi logo or the green check. Those are indications that the BB is talking to Blackberry Infrastructure. You have to pay for a Blackberry Data Plan to access the infrastructure. That is why it costs more.
What you will see if you are connected to a hot spot is the name of the hot spot near your carrier's name, and the grey Wi-Fi logo.
If you are concerned about connection quality go to the Connection Manager and Wi-Fi Options. Then from the menu select Wi-Fi Tools -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics. If the signal is good then don't worry about channels etc.
If all that looks good, follow my intructions for using the Hotspot Browser. If you can't browse out through your router, see if you can bring up the Web configuration for the router on the Blackberry. That will tell us if your are getting that far.
I have a BIS plan and I imagine that I should have access to the Blackberry Infrastructure. However under 'Blackberry Infrastructure' in 'WiFi Diagnostics' all the fields are blank. I never get the green check mark next to the WiFi name in 'Manage Connections' anymore.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #18
hrbuckley

OK, you should try to confine your questions to one thread, and really a thread you start yourself. I gets kind of confusing talking to someone in two separate threads.

I think you need to get on the phone with Orange and get this sorted out. Any reasonable access point that gives access to the Internet should support a Blackberry connecting to the Infrastructure. There seem to be a few people on here with this problem, the common denominator being Orange. Hard to keep track of how many (see above).
Old 05-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #19
BBB445

PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I'm having the same [-] issue when it comes to my bold. my network settings and wep key are all correct and other devices are connecting correctly
I have BlackBerry with Messaging unlimited-text unlimited-data. I've tried everything this thread has suggested and then some and still getting the [-] next to the wifi.

I've also noticed I'm able to receive text messages but when it comes to sending them I get a clock logo and a pending message next to my texts. anyone else having this problem?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 AM   #20
iporter69
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Three Australia
Default So much mis-information!

I've had the problem with my Bold not connecting to wifi and saw a lot of posts saying you have to have a data connection before the wifi will work and I can tell you now that this is incorrect.

I stumbled on the solution as to why my BB had not been able to get out of the 'greyed out wifi' icon. So far, I have not seen a single post anywhere that details this issue (not to say there is'nt one!)

Here is how I found my way through:-

Go to 'Manage Connections' > Setup Wifi network > Next > Scan for networks (in my case I had to put in the WEP settings of my home router - once input, as with most devices, you don't need to put them in again if you are running WEP on the network)

Select your desired network.

THEN - and he is the thing that was stopping me: You have to select 'WIFI HOTSPOT LOGIN'. I never selected this in the past and it was this that was causing me to not get the bright Wifi icon!

You will see the Blackberry name/logo, then ' Your BB device is now connected to the internet'.

Wifi works with or without a data plan or SIM card, posters to the contrary take note!

Another point is the Blackberry browser works whether you have the phone connected on wireless or wifi regardless. I just confirmed that one!

Happy BB surfing on wifi! I hope this fixes your problem
Closed Thread