Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Similar to previous post: inter access point handover

Please Login to Remove!

When I got my Tmo service, I was given to understand that the calls would hand off from UMA to EDGE and vice versa seamlessly and the call would count against my minutes only if I initiate the call on EDGE and then it switches over to UMA, or in other words, I would be charged or not according to which network was used to initiate the call. Well this handoff works only if I am on EDGE and then arrive home; the call hands over okay and I can just keep talking. However if I leave home, even with sitting in the car for a few minutes for the handover to take place, I end up getting cut off; it hasn't failed yet.

Am I right in thinking that the option for Inter Access Point Handover refers to the changing over from EDGE to UMA and vice versa? Should I have this checkmarked in my Wi-Fi options? I had been using it unchecked but when all the problems with UMA started, I checked the box. But I haven't noticed a difference yet since I am still losing calls when I leave home. By the time the car is backed out to the street, the call is lost.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8320)

No that option does nothing for UMA to EDGE handoffs.

Do you suddenly lose your wireless coverage? For example you close the car door and the UMA signal is gone right away?

The handoff has to be negotiated so if you lose the wireless connection too quickly before the phone can set up the transfer your call goes bye bye.

That is but one of the many possible causes.

I would test the handover at a T-Mobile HotSpot location and see if this only happens at your home or everywhere.

Dave
Old 07-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Wirelessly posted (Curve)

Thanks. It only happens when I leave home: no switchover. It tries but never connects. It's not a problem when I am driving because. prefer not to be on the phone unless absolutely necessary. But when my husband is the driver I would like to finish my conversation without losing the connectuon. I thought maybe T-mo set it that way so that I can't talk free away from home. Maybe I'll call CS and ask about it.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
cdoggLBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by newberry52 View Post

Thanks. It only happens when I leave home: no switchover. It tries but never connects. It's not a problem when I am driving because. prefer not to be on the phone unless absolutely necessary. But when my husband is the driver I would like to finish my conversation without losing the connectuon. I thought maybe T-mo set it that way so that I can't talk free away from home. Maybe I'll call CS and ask about it.
I have the same problem and posted about it in another thread. If you look under the WiFi diagnostics you can see how many "Cell Rove in" failures you have.... Haven't found a fix on my end.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
yogabrooke

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A

I have been having the same problems. I found this website about the inter-access handover feature which states:

Inter-access point handover allows Wi-Fi® enabled BlackBerry smartphone users to roam from one wireless access point to another within the same Wi-Fi network without losing the Wi-Fi connection. The wireless access points must share a common service set identifier (SSID).

When creating a Wi-Fi profile on a BlackBerry smartphone, inter-access point handover is disabled by default. To enable inter-access point handover for a Wi-Fi profile on a BlackBerry smartphone, complete the following steps:

Click Options.
Click Wi-Fi Connections.
From the Wi-Fi Profile menu, click Edit.
Select the Allow inter-access point handover check box.

From the Edit Wi-Fi Profile menu, click Save to enable inter-access point handover.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
sqafored

Model: 9000
Carrier: Airtel
Smile BitsSQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by newberry52 View Post

This is great
Old 01-28-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
sqafored

Model: 9000
Carrier: Airtel
Smile

Closed Thread