BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
arshapro

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default plug in 2 keyboards and a mouse to the mini usb?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I have a rather strange need to plug 2 keyboards and a mouse into my blackberry. I'de like to plug the keyboards and mouse into a self powered hub and then plug the hub into the mini usb slot on the blackberry. Will this work?

I supposed my only other option is to purchase 2 bluetooth keyboards and a bluetooth mouse.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Alex
Old 07-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Not via USB, no.

And on BT, maybe. I know one will work, not sure about two.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
MBW
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110
Carrier: AT&T

Impatica Virtual Dock, now in beta, uses your Windows screen/keyboard to control your BB handset, displayed on the PC's screen - if that helps.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshapro View Post
Hello,

I have a rather strange need to plug 2 keyboards and a mouse into my blackberry. I'de like to plug the keyboards and mouse into a self powered hub and then plug the hub into the mini usb slot on the blackberry. Will this work?

I supposed my only other option is to purchase 2 bluetooth keyboards and a bluetooth mouse.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Alex

For Curiosity sake, why in the world would you want two keyboards plugged into your blackberry at the same time?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
arshapro

I walk on a treadmill when i work sometimes. I use a keyboard on each side of my treadmill so that my arms can be in a comfortable position (right hand stays over hjkl side on the right keyboard, left hand over asdf on the left keyboard). I was thinking that it would be nice to be able to toggle over to the blackberry and type messages on that as well.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

lol thats an interesting use but it works... check the Impatica Virtual Dock that the other guy said and good luck
Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
arshapro

MBW, virtual dock looks good - but i was hoping to actually move my computer out of the exercise room and just have my blackberry there.
-Alex
Old 07-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Technocracy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

If interested in Virtual Dock, send an e-mail to [email address], so that they can advise their registration procedure.

I did so yesterday. (Thank you, MBW, for bringing this app to out attention.) Awesome software!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
gbnemail07
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

dude my thought is to manage your time so you dont have to work on ur bb while treadmilling. that is a much cheaper and simpler fix. In all honesty your probably gonna get hurt one of these days doing that.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
Pete6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: Swisscom

Native, the USB port on the BlackBerry is not a host port. This means that it cannot have devices connected to it (host them).

It is the equivalent of a USB drive and you cannot plug a keyboard into one of them.

The exception to this would seem to be the use of the USB port to sync to a PC but if you look at what is displayed in the System Try when the BlackBerry is connected to the PC, it will be seen that the PC hosts the BlackBerry and not the reverse.

I am unfamiliar with the Impatica device but I know that some bluetooth devices work.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #11
arshapro

gbnemail07, actually the idea is not to have to extra work when i am on the treadmill. the idea is to walk on the treadmill for a few hours a day at a very slow speed. Try googling treadmill computer Dr. James Levine or non-exercise activity thermogenesis.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You are either just too dedicated to your job or too connected to the BB. Take some time away and relax a bit. Get away from the toys for a while!

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #13
djinn23

Carrier: att
Default i doubt it

I just got mine but most devices and mobile phones are built to be a device through USB and not to host connections.

I just got the Universal Freedom Keyboard and it works with bluetooth nicely. It may be possible to rock multiple BT connections and do something like what you are looking for.

I have to ask WTF you are doing? Taking over the world using the most retarded method ever?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #14
rexxxlo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn23 View Post

I have to ask WTF you are doing? Taking over the world using the most retarded method ever?
that right there is funny
Old 07-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #15
raven71
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
PIN: 249F7DCD

Wirelessly posted (8310 Curve)

Could you give me some info on freedom keyboard. I am looking for something to use. Tried to get my Tungsten E-2 to work but I have an old one with infared,
Need something due to eye sight problems.

People should not mock how other people use their time. I am sure we all have our own ways that might seem strange.
I do agree seems dangerous if nothing else. I went on a call where someone broke an ankle and wrist at a gym. She was texting and doing work on a mill. Didn't realize shoe lace came lose and fell.
Would it had been any different if not texting? Most likely would have looked down once in a while and have seen it.
By the way it was not a BB she was using.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #16
MBW
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110

You could probably use a pair of Freedom keyboards over Bluetooth.

BUT...

That's a very dangerous thing to do on a tradmill - see if you can add an attachment that will sell you travel insurance.

Here are some alternatives.

Voice on the Go uses any phone (desk phone, cell phone, pay phone, airline seat phone, probably even Maxwell Smart's shoe) to let you call in, get an update on your calendar, check your e-mail - start by reading subjects, then messages - reply to your e-mail (it sends your spoken reply as an attachment), send new messages to your contacts the same way, make appointments, even call your contacts without disconnecting you from their call. It's hands-free and eyes-free.

Voizpod does text to speech to read to you from blog and subscribed text feed sites.

I'm in beta - can't say the name yet - on a cool e-mail add-on that lets you talk your reply - it sends it off for transcription, then back to your handset to send (with the option for prior review) - reporters especially like this because it means we can dictate stories while driving or away from computers and have text ready to drop in when we get back.

Nuance also has some pieces (still a little clunky, last time I tested them) for speech to text and text to speech.

Personally, I have a DVR on my cable box and a library of Bat Masterson episodes I can feed to the TV built into my treadmill.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:56 AM   #17
mwhitin2

Model: 8310
Carrier: suncom

????
Closed Thread