Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #41
dhollins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

No UMA for me here in Jackson, MS for the last couple of days now.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #42
bberry8320

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonil View Post
I too am in Atlanta and had problems since yesterday and spent hours on the phone and went to a starbucks to check if it was my phone or router. I got the same answer it must be my phone. I finally got them to listen by reading this forum to the rep who said he would put in a ticket about a uma problem. even when i couldn't connect with another hotspot phone they still wanted to send me another phone and my phone is only 3 weeks old. Mine seems to be back on now but I don't know for how long because it was on this morning for a short time.
Lucky you for getting it back. I called TMO tonight to see what the status is and, despite my reporting it last night, they told me that they are not aware of any outages.... aarggh! For now, they said they could not escalate it to their techs until my replacement phone arrives and it is verified with that phone that UMA still does not work. Then, and only then, will they put in a trouble ticket. So much for reporting it and others being told that they "are aware of it." They apparently aren't doing anything about it.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #43
bobbyr

Model: none

First time poster here - found by way of Google. I am in South Atlanta, and had my service (actually T-Mobile@Home go down overnight). I don't use UMA but I am told its the same path, just from the phone jack through the system.

I have been getting the same errors you have all day. After 1.5 hours ending in tier 2 tech support, I am back up. She asked me to Clone my Mac address to that of my PC, and immediately I was up and running. I am using the Linksys WRTU54G-TM, but its worth a try on other routers. Easily reversable.

MAC Address Clone=> Clone Your PC's MAC

Bobby
Atlanta
Old 07-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #44
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Bobby, I saw this on my router access page yesterday but can't remember where I found it. I am willing to try this but need a bit more explanation as to where to look. Any help?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #45
jibi
BlackBerry God

Carrier: AT&T

At home tonight, not working.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #46
bobbyr

On my Linksys router it is on the first tab Setup then in the blue bar underneath, Mac Address Clone. You would select "enable" then select Clone your PC's Mac.

That is with the WRTU54G-TM. Other Linksys may be similar. If not, post your router and I will dig.

And it seems easy enough to revert back - just choose disable and you should be using the router mac address again.

Last edited by bobbyr; 07-09-2008 at 09:42 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #47
bberry8320

Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
First time poster here - found by way of Google. I am in South Atlanta, and had my service (actually T-Mobile@Home go down overnight). I don't use UMA but I am told its the same path, just from the phone jack through the system.

I have been getting the same errors you have all day. After 1.5 hours ending in tier 2 tech support, I am back up. She asked me to Clone my Mac address to that of my PC, and immediately I was up and running. I am using the Linksys WRTU54G-TM, but its worth a try on other routers. Easily reversable.

Bobby
Atlanta

Bobby,

That worked! YOU ARE A GODSEND! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #48
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

That really works?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #49
bobbyr

Thanks for letting me know. We might be onto something.
Spread the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberry8320 View Post

Bobby,

That worked! YOU ARE A GODSEND! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #50
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:

Bobby
Atlanta
Bobby, you rock. This works. I'm using a Linksys WRT54GL router with the Tomato firmware (Linux-based router). To get to this, login to the Tomato interface, go to Advanced then MAC Address. For the WAN Port, click on Clone PC and save the settings. Very nice

...as for why this works, there should be no real explanation on what one has to do with the other, unless TMO decided to block MAC addresses.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #51
bberry8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
That really works?
Yes! Go figure ...
Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #52
bobbyr

That's great. Glad to help.

I love Tomato - I was using it on my WRT54G but I bought the T-Mobile@Home with their router on Saturday. I have to use that for the phone jacks!

I read somewhere in my all day search that there may have been a software "upgrade" yesterday. That may have created a problem. But it was an early step in 2nd level tech support, so something is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
Bobby, you rock. This works. I'm using a Linksys WRT54GL router with the Tomato firmware (Linux-based router). To get to this, login to the Tomato interface, go to Advanced then MAC Address. For the WAN Port, click on Clone PC and save the settings. Very nice

...as for why this works, there should be no real explanation on what one has to do with the other, unless TMO decided to block MAC addresses.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #53
bobbyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberry8320 View Post
Yes! Go figure ...
Maybe T-Mobile doesn't like Linksys' block of MAC addresses? Who knows! What else could it be?

Bobby
Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #54
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Bobbyr, welcome to the forums! Great first posts! Glad to have you here.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #55
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Maybe T-Mobile doesn't like Linksys' block of MAC addresses? Who knows! What else could it be?

Bobby
Doesn't make sense that they'd block the mac addresses of their own routers. Someone screwed up somewhere.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #56
bberry8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Doesn't make sense that they'd block the mac addresses of their own routers. Someone screwed up somewhere.
I have two routers. One is a TMO Linksys and the other a Belkin, which is set up as an access point. The UMA went out on both. I couldn't clone the MAC address on the Belkin, but after cloning the MAC address on the TMO router, I just restarted the Belkin and it fell right in line.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #57
themostversatile

Carrier: T-Mo

Does anyone have any idea how to clone a MAC address on an Airport Extreme N Router?

Thx for your help.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #58
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am back up, too. Whoo hooo! I have no clue as to what I did that actually worked but here's what I did: I cloned my PC's Mac Address under WAN settings. Then rebooted the router. I was not able to successfully connect to the Internet anymore so I went in and cleared the cloned address. Then I saved the change and rebooted the modem, the router, and my computer. I deleted my Wi-Fi connection on the device and set it up again and voila! I am UMA for the first time in almost 48 hours. As I said, I have no clue if what I did was what I was supposed to do, but this is the first time in almost 48 hours that I have Wi-Fi calling. I hope it is still there by tomorrow morning.

And Bobby, thanks to you for the heads up. We also appreciate your Tmo tech that suggested this move.

Last edited by newberry52; 07-09-2008 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Forgot to thank Bobby!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #59
silvervic02

Good job Bobby, thanks for the heads up. Glad to see a few folks getting squared away.

Any ideas on what to do on a NetGear router? Going to try and finagle the settings as we speak...

Cheers!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #60
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Most all routers have the ability to clone a mac address. You just need to find it in the settings for your router.
Closed Thread