Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
algae
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Telus
Default Battery life?

Please Login to Remove!

Is it me or is the battery life on my new Curve less than that of my previous 8703e?
Suggestions?
Thanks
G.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Well help us out here. Tell us what battery life you are getting. I hear people complain about Blackberrys but battery life is not the typical reason. What are you running in the background.

What do YOU consider good battery life
Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
A320Mech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A

The first thing I would do is make sure the phone isn't searching for a signal. That will kill a battery faster than anything else.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
HondaJon

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Battery life doesn't seem too bad for me thus far, just switched over from an 8800.

I would suggest turning down the screen brightness if you have not done so already.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
!3unn!3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: 31A318E2
Carrier: Sprint

Turn your mobile connection off unless necess. it uses the battery to search and stay connected.
Name- Mike
Loves BBF!!
Old 06-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT and verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by !3unn!3 View Post
Turn your mobile connection off unless necess. it uses the battery to search and stay connected.
If you turn that off then you can not use the phone correct? or am i missing something here.

I have noticed that my curve seems to drain faster than my pearl did which does not really make sense.

Kalinka
Old 06-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
algae
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Telus

Thanks for the replies. Greg I guess I should have added that my observations are not at all scientific. I use my BB frequently during the day, sending and receiving 30 - 50 e-mails and about 2 - 3 hours of voice. It seemed that my 8703 had about 1/4 of the battery left by 6 PM. My Curve is almost down to nothing by that time. I've turned the screen brightness down to 80% but turning off the wirelees connection is not an option. I was just wondering if anyone shares my observations.
That being said I'll probably get one of those extras strength batteries. If anyone has any suggestions on which one to get I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
Gary
Old 06-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by algae View Post
Thanks for the replies. Greg I guess I should have added that my observations are not at all scientific. I use my BB frequently during the day, sending and receiving 30 - 50 e-mails and about 2 - 3 hours of voice. It seemed that my 8703 had about 1/4 of the battery left by 6 PM. My Curve is almost down to nothing by that time. I've turned the screen brightness down to 80% but turning off the wirelees connection is not an option. I was just wondering if anyone shares my observations.
That being said I'll probably get one of those extras strength batteries. If anyone has any suggestions on which one to get I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
Gary
I do about the same number of emails, much depends on how long yopu got to keep the screen lit up. 2-3 hours on voice will do it share of the battery for sure. I still coem home with over 30% on a bad day and over 50% on a less busy day.

Sedieo makes an extra capacity battery that is the same size that is "surposed" to have more power, you might want to try that. I did not feel I was getting alot more power from it but it was slightly thicker and made the battery door fit nice and snug! <vbg>

Some also say your battery will get better after a few cycles but I am doubting enough to help out.

Enjoy!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
jmredmond

Model: 8310

I don't know who your carrier is but I had this same problem with mine and I went to the carrier store and got a new battery sent to me
Old 07-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
ehambra
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Turning Wifi off was the solution for me!!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:55 AM   #11
demonsmasher

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizion

I get about a day
Old 07-14-2008, 04:52 AM   #12
mwhitin2

Carrier: suncom

it has a great battery
Old 07-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
bbnflpn

Carrier: ATT

i had this problem too, my battery would literally drain over night while i was sleeping (4-5 hours)

what i found was that the blue tooth was causeing the problem. when the blue tooth has been activated to recive signal it will tend to drain the battery, so when i was not useing it i would turn that part off. it was still draining the battery even when it was not on, so i would have to take the battery out and reset it.

i went through 4 phones (im on my 5th now) and att sent me 2 extra batteries, so between that and the new pack i have 3 batteries that i keep with me, and 4 extra chargers (one that i had from another phone, and 2 that they sent me, plus a car charger) which i have at home, work, in my car and in my purse just incase.

i have not needed to use them in a while since i figured out the takeing out the battery thing, and charging it every night before going to bed, it has been draining alot less (unless im on the phone alot that day)

also leaveing applications on like games and the camera will also drain it, so you want to make sure that those are all off as well.

all in all i found my self a happy medium to keep me with in my battery limitations, and have rarely had to use the extra chargers, or batteries (unless i forget to charge it one night and it runs out the next day) now my boss uses my charger at work the most since it works with his phone, he keeps it in his office most of the time.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
RUSHnATL

On AT&T in a decent coverage area by night, but by day it's always searching for a signal.

Is there a "phone only" option as I don't need the email to check all day, but do need to be able to get calls if needed. Cell coverage is 2 bars at best and seems to always go in and out of "EDGE" coverage just sitting on my desk.

There is a profile for "phone only", but I think that just means it will ring the phone if in/out of the case and won't make any noise when messages arrive. I don't even need it to be checking for messages during the day.

Is there a way to turn that part off?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #15
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

I had extremely bad experiences with my new Curve's battery. Might have happened because I didn't charge the new battery completely before using it. I was too curious to check out the new Curve's features

Anyway, it got better over the mast months and right now the battery's performance is quite OK.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
MisterGriffiths
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
Carrier: O2

This may be a red herring/coincidence but I had really low battery life until I switched off 'Location Tracking' under the GPS options.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #17
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehambra View Post
Doesn't really help since the OP has an 8330.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSHnATL View Post
There is a profile for "phone only", but I think that just means it will ring the phone if in/out of the case and won't make any noise when messages arrive.
That's precisely it. Profiles are just for alerts. They don't affect functionality of the BB at all. Edit the profile and all you'll see within each profile are settings for how the BB notifies you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSHnATL View Post
I don't even need it to be checking for messages during the day.
Is there a way to turn that part off?
Nope. Try not to hijack threads...

If you're on BES and have Desktop Manager on your PC (on the same network as your BES) you can disable email redirection while your BB is connected via USB. This has no impact on your BIS accounts though.

Otherwise, if you need to control email delivery you need to get a pull device. I'd suggest just using the phone only profile.

Last edited by takeshi; 07-15-2008 at 03:45 PM..
Old 07-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #18
elynnjean

Wirelessly posted (Curve 8310)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehambra
Sorry, I'm new here, but I can't figure out where to turn the WiFi off.
I also find that setting the auto on/off to turn off at night and on in the morning saves some battery.
Closed Thread