Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
dwc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmob
Default WIFI to LAN?

Please Login to Remove!

Can the 8320 connect to anything on your home LAN? Where are the LAN settings?

Thanks...
Old 10-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc View Post
Can the 8320 connect to anything on your home LAN? Where are the LAN settings?

Thanks...
Can you be a little more descriptive with your questin? Are you looking to browse to your PC?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
gprs_us

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I can ping my 8320 from any PC on my LAN. My first attempt at viewing private PC served web pages did not work. I am working on figuring this out.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
dwc

Well... when I typed "anything" I really meant anything. I am open to understanding what can be done within the constraints of the software already provided on the 8320.

Here is a specific simple use case:

Webserver running on local box inside firewall, want to view web page on that local box. (I am getting 404's saying it doesn't recognize the hostname)

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Well... when I typed "anything" I really meant anything. I am open to understanding what can be done within the constraints of the software already provided on the 8320.

Here is a specific simple use case:

Webserver running on local box inside firewall, want to view web page on that local box. (I am getting 404's saying it doesn't recognize the hostname)

Thanks for the help.
Are you accessing from the curves browser via an internal IP for the web page or are you using a name that needs to be resolved. If the name needs to be resolved how do you have DNS setup.

As for ANYTHING I am not sure what type of luck you will have with a response. It's kind of like asking please tell me everything you can do with a BlackBerry.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
dwc

Troy I am not trolling for an encyclopedia. At this point I am looking to hear from someone who can browse local web pages within their own LAN. If anyone else has other cool things they can do inside their own firewall I would like to hear about those as well.

Quote:
If the name needs to be resolved how do you have DNS setup.
This was the second part of my question, i.e. where would I set up the DNS info. Most devices use the DHCP server as the DNS server by default, which is why I am puzzled to see teh 8320 complain it doesn't know the hostname. But even skipping that whole bag of bones, I switched from using the hostname in the URL to using the IP addy instead, and am now getting "connection refused" errors...

Last edited by dwc; 10-10-2007 at 08:07 PM..
Old 10-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Switched from hostname to IP addy, now getting "connection refused" errors...
I will try a few tests on my in house web server and see what I get.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
dwc

Thanks Troy I appreciate it, and will keep the discussion specific going forward.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Thanks Troy I appreciate it, and will keep the discussion specific going forward.
Under you browser, goto Options > Browser Configuration and choose Wi-Fi Browser under Browser. Save the changes and tell me what it does for you. Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
dwc

That pulled up the settings for the wifi browser.

I am still getting "connection refused" 400 errors on local pages though. I have tried IE emulation. Still mucking around. Again sorry for the original question, but I was frustrated and fearing that all the cool uses I had in mind for the 8320 were going to be dashed because for some reason T-mob (or RIM) has configured this browser to always proxy from someplace outside the firewall.

Anyone able to browse their LAN?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
dwc

Did the following two things, based on your suggestion and some searching.

1. Start up the Browser then press the Menu key and go to Options. Under General Properties make sure the Default Browser option is set to WIFI-Browser.

or as an alternative one can keep the default browser as it is set to Blackberry Browser and instead:

2. When entering the URL but before hitting the "Go" button, hit the menu key and select "Change Browser" (change to WIFI-BROWSER).

Both of brought up the local page successfully.

Troy thanks again for hanging with me on this.
-Dan
Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #12
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
That pulled up the settings for the wifi browser.

I am still getting "connection refused" 400 errors on local pages though. I have tried IE emulation. Still mucking around. Again sorry for the original question, but I was frustrated and fearing that all the cool uses I had in mind for the 8320 were going to be dashed because for some reason T-mob (or RIM) has configured this browser to always proxy from someplace outside the firewall.

Anyone able to browse their LAN?
When the setting is on WiFi it should not use the proxy and use yor settings.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #13
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You are welcome. Being a systems admin I know what a pain it can be. PM me anytime. If you want my PIN just ask.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #14
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Mine works just fine, the device has very little configuration to do - you just have to either use an IP address, or insert the IP->hostname mapping in your home router if it has that ability (many don't so don't be surprised if you have to use the IP).

The BB doesn't have a local 'hosts' file that you could cookie this in, it'll have to come via your internal LAN DNS. If you run the DD-WRT replacement firmware on your router, this setting is found under Administration -> Services -> DNSmasq: Local DNS [enable]. Enabling 'Local DNS' allows internal LAN clients to resolve hostnames that are either static or DHCP in nature.

I have my server bookmarked and in the bookmark it is set to "WiFi Browser" - that way if I try and use it without wifi (I turn mine off when not using it) it has a popup reminding me to turn on the wifi connection. Simple as pie.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
jbum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A

Sorry to bring this topic from the dead but there is a slight variation to this that I wanted cleared up.

I was able to visit a page local to the LAN fine with the suggestions using the Internet browser (BB browser). However, using Opera mini, I was not able to get this to work. I've tried changing the "Settings" for Opera to use Wifi but it didn't help.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:13 AM   #16
jbum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just wanted to clarify my previous post...

my BB is connected to my home router (wifi) and using the BB browser I'm able to view a page from my home webserver (in the local LAN). But using Opera mini, I can't.

Is there a limitation to Opera?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #17
kings0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: O2 Germany

I wouldn't call it a limitation. In Opera Mini Any website you request go through an Opera server and are processed and then sent to your BlackBerry.

So if you're trying to access a local site the Sever cannot access that page.

The BlackBerry browser has direct access to websites, that's why it can also display local web pages.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #18
jbum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings0r View Post
I wouldn't call it a limitation. In Opera Mini Any website you request go through an Opera server and are processed and then sent to your BlackBerry.

So if you're trying to access a local site the Sever cannot access that page.

The BlackBerry browser has direct access to websites, that's why it can also display local web pages.
Thanks for the reply. That clears up the mystery. I'm new to the BB and a lot of things run very differently from what you would expect from a normal PC environment.
Closed Thread