Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
pyro451
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T
Default Can't access files over bridge?

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Torch on AT&T with the latest AT&T OS6 and I downloaded the OS6 bridge. I was able to connect the playbook to my Torch and can use the bridge browser, email, calendar, and contacts.

However, when I try to browse files on my SD card, I see the directory structure, but no files. Not a single file shows up. There should be docs to go files, audio files, pictures, and video files on that card. They are visible if I plug the Torch into my PC.

Does anyone know if this is due to a BES policy, or just another software bug that needs fixing?

FWIW, encryption is ON for the SD card, but not for media files.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
nahsik
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default Re: Can't access files over bridge?

I have a similar problem, I can see documents but I can't access pictures, videos or music. I doubt its due to BES policy, neither my 9700 or playbook are BES.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
mseguin42
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: SII
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus

nahsik, it's not exactly the same. It looks like the bridge won't transfer media files. Maybe a DRM issue?

pyro451. I know I can see my Word & Excel documents but not my media. That is with either my Telus or Bell BB bridged.

I wonder if it might be something from AT&T not officially allowing the bridge that's preventing it?

iPhone 5 v7.0.3 - Telus
PlayBook: 16GB v2.0.0.7971
Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
hitty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: Vodafone UK

According to this KB, its by design:
KB26606-Supported file types when using Bridge Files on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
When a BlackBerry smartphone is connected to a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet using BlackBerry Bridge, Bridge Files allows access to the files located on the internal memory of the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, or from the MicroSD card of the BlackBerry smartphone. The following file types are supported using Bridge Files:

Adobe® Reader® for opening PDF files
Documents to Go® for opening XLS, XLSX, DOC, DOCX or PPT files
Old 04-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Zeeee

Carrier: TMobile

FYI - you can open pptx files also!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

My observation is that you can't open the document files if they are encrypted. The one experiment I did was to disable media card encrytpion and unencrypt a PDF. I saw and opened the PDF. I did enable encryption again, but I got sidetracked and didn't try to open that PDF I unencrypted. That is something to take a look at (... Will the PlayBook access the unencrypted document files on the media card when encryption is enabled? It definitely will if encryption is disabled).
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 04-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers

All I know is that I specifically placed items on my SDCard (word, excel and ppt) and none of them actually show through the bridge file browser.

I've never used encryption so that's not an issue for me.

Actually.... yeah it shows nothing can be opened....

Where is /BlackBerry/SDCard is that on the memory in that specific directory? I created a directory under /BlackBerry named SDCard and put power point and PDF files in there.... still cant see them from the PB.

Sadly, one of the biggest downsides to this thing right now.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I saw the entire folder structure on the media card just as if i was looking at it on the 9700. Only saw nothing in the folders except a message to the effect i could not open any of the files "with this application." As noted above, you can only open document files, so that is why you cant see unencrypted media files. When I performed the steps I gave above, I again saw the folders, and the ony file I could see and open was the PDF I unencrypted.

If your encryption is disabled and you do not see anything when you use the Bridge Files app, the first step of course would be to hard reset the BlackBerry, restart the PlayBook, and try again.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

^ man you sound like you're all over the place ~ or I'm simply lost reading your posts.

PlayBook Bridged via BT
1. Bridge Files:
- enter device pw. initially opens PlayBook file browser. All files are accessible & can be opened.

2. Bridge Files: BB
(NOTE: you'll notice on "/BlackBerry/SDCard/BlackBerry/documents/Bridge" exists - this is where all previously opened and access Bridged files from email attachments sourced from the BB rest)
- You can access PDF files directly from the BB's MicroSD card. Any other files gives you the message "There are no files that can be opened in this application" (the native file browser is open sourced and has a built-in PDF rendering engine much like OS X's built-in system). To access other files use a respective application that can access them.

I really hope this file browser gets upgrade and fast.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Sorry, I do not follow you, either. I cannot see any document files on the BlackBerry that are encrypted. If I remove encryption from a file by disabling encryption in options and moving that file, I can then see the file on the handset with the PlayBook and open it on the PlayBook.

If you are saying I should be able to see and open the encrypted document files on the BlackBerry handset with the Bridge files app from thevPlayBook, I'm interested in knowing what I am doing wrong.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
Drug$toreCowboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Fido (BIS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
^ man you sound like you're all over the place ~ or I'm simply lost reading your posts.

PlayBook Bridged via BT
1. Bridge Files:
- enter device pw. initially opens PlayBook file browser. All files are accessible & can be opened.

2. Bridge Files: BB
(NOTE: you'll notice on "/BlackBerry/SDCard/BlackBerry/documents/Bridge" exists - this is where all previously opened and access Bridged files from email attachments sourced from the BB rest)
- You can access PDF files directly from the BB's MicroSD card. Any other files gives you the message "There are no files that can be opened in this application" (the native file browser is open sourced and has a built-in PDF rendering engine much like OS X's built-in system). To access other files use a respective application that can access them.

I really hope this file browser gets upgrade and fast.
This is the exact same issue I am encountering. I hope this will get fixed soon as there are files I'd rather leave on the 9780 and just access what I need via the BT Bridge on the Playbook.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

To clarify what I wrote above, here is what I am seeing on 9700 running OS 5 and the PlayBook running the .1710 build:

1 - I unlock the handset, start the PlayBook, unlock the PlayBook, enter the handset password on the PlayBook, and I am bridged

2 - I launch the BlackBerry Bridge Files app and see the following:

a. PlayBook and 9700 buttons at the top

b. The PlayBook button is already selected, and the files I've put on the PlayBook are below (but not organized into the folders I used when I copied them over from the netbook).

3 - I tap the 9700 button.

a. I see immediately below, /BlackBerry/SDCard, and below that the folders that are on the media card in the BlackBerry (BlackBerry, dash, DocumentstoGo, and metro).

b. I select the BlackBerry folder, then Documents. At the top I see the path, /BlackBerry/SDCard/BlackBerry/documents. I have several doc or docx and pdf files here on the handset, that are encrypted. I don't see them. I have the message, "There are no files that can be opened in this application."

c. If I disable encryption and remove the encryption from one of these files, I can then see it and open it from the PlayBook, but cannont see the other files that remain encrypted.

4 - I do not see /BlackBerry/SDCard/BlackBerry/documents/Bridge. I have restarted the PlayBook and tried again, still don't see it. Maybe I only see this if I've downloaded email attachements from the PlayBook using the bridged email? I don't underand where/how this comes in.

So, essentially I'm seeing what the OP is seeing. Part of my point was (a) I see the also see folders on the BlackBerry media card (Cooper said he does not see anything), and (b) the files can be seen and opened if encryption is removed.

I'm with Drug$toreCowboy. I really need to leave my documents on the BlackBerry media card, and encrypted. The other shortcomings are minor to me; this one's a biggie.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-27-2011 at 06:09 AM..
Old 04-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I now have the path, /BlackBerry/SDCard/BlackBerry/documents/Bridge, showing on the PlayBook in Bridge Files, since I opened an attachment for the first time from the PlayBook.

On the media card, when opened using the handset, the Bridge folder is hidden. As I have encryption enabled, I can't see the document filenames therein from the PlayBook Bridge files app, even though I just viewed the files on the PlayBook when I opened the email attachment.

This Bridge files app is my biggest complaint. Everything else I take in stride. Along with not being able to access encrypted files, the document files on the PlayBook can't be viewed in the folders as copied to the PlayBook, just a list of files. This is true from the bridge files app, and from the individual doc app, like Adobe Reader. This is impractical for all but just a very few number of files.

Hopefully it will be improved a great deal and very quickly.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers

I've got nothing on my Torch memory that shows a /Blackberry/SDCard folder.

Bridge browser is not doing anything for me, It isn't seeing shit.

This is an utter disappointment, I'd really like to have seen this polished... come on RIM, 25% of the funtionality I wanted is now gone.

----------------------

I FIXED IT. This is dumb. You have to turn off File Sharing.

Last edited by Cooper; 04-28-2011 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Update....
Closed Thread