BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
cabberry

Model: 8100c
Default How to change default browser with Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

My new Blackberry has the default Cingular Media Net browser. Can I get another browser? (I found where to change the browser in settings, but nothing else is available. I guess there is another browser application you can install somewhere?)
Old 11-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #2
sfo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: AT&T

Can't answer, but why do you want another? The EDGE provides speed and more importantly, the Cingular browser is formatted to scroll right down on your 8700 without any horizontal shifting.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
Zoinks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Go to Settings, Options, Advanced Options, Browser. You can select defaults there. I also hid the Cingular browser icon and changed the center convenience key by going to Settings, Screen/Keyboard.

Reason for switching is that the cingular browser, from what I can tell, identifies itself as a wap browser making some sites difficult to browse. The BB browser loads pages more normally. Try going to www.engadget.com in both to see what I mean.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
pollster
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Default How too??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoinks
Go to Settings, Options, Advanced Options, Browser. You can select defaults there. I also hid the Cingular browser icon and changed the center convenience key by going to Settings, Screen/Keyboard.

Reason for switching is that the cingular browser, from what I can tell, identifies itself as a wap browser making some sites difficult to browse. The BB browser loads pages more normally. Try going to www.engadget.com in both to see what I mean.
Under Browser push, what defaults can I select/ has a bunch of squares checked - enable push then MDS push then WAP Push - what happen when these are are unchecked - does BB browser take over when these are unchecked? I can't load weather radar and other sites as could with treo 650 cingular
HELP
Old 11-26-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
Zoinks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Leave the push settings the same. I've never used a Treo, so I'm not sure if their browser is more compliant than blackberry's or what
Old 11-26-2005, 11:31 PM   #6
cabberry

Model: 8100c

Few updates:
1) I found the Cingular & BB Browser under Settings-Options-Advanced-Service Book. Not sure what Service Books are, but both Cingular and BB Browser are listed. So did Cingular leave the BB Browser but hide it? Or is the Media browser a 'skin' over the BB Browser.
2) I did find inside the Cingular Browser you can press the click wheel 'Options->Browser Configuration' and by default Javascript is off. Also emulating 'MS Pocket IE' got some nicer pages on www.google.com

For the question of 'why change' the browser. Try visiting www.delta or www.aa.com using Cingular's browser. It can't show the page at all for Delta and limited for American. I'd like to be able to check flight schedules, etc...

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 11-27-2005, 01:40 AM   #7
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default Check this thread

You have two choices that I know of, and there may be others.

Run in a corporate environment or hire a BES Host.

See http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=50

Buy a third party browser, but beware. Some of them run through their servers and put your cookies on their servers.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:25 AM   #8
pollster

Question how do I change browser to BB ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoinks

under default browser configuration it list Cingular browser - when I click on cingular browser it ask if I want to change option - when click on it - it only displays cingular browser - same applies to default WAP Browser below- how do I change cingular option and to get to BB browser available.

Last edited by pollster; 11-27-2005 at 08:29 AM..
Old 11-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #9
desbrosses

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm having the same problems with my browser. Can only access WAP sites and cannot change from the Cingular browser. I see the BB Browser in the Service Book but I cannot select it as the default browser. I am still waiting to have my device activated so I can access work email; maybe that will solve the problem.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #10
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

You should have two browser icons on your desktop. One is the globe with the Cingular symbol in the middle and the other is just a globe. The first one is a wap browser and the second is the BlackBerry browser. I just tested the latter on aa.com and Delta.com and logged into my accounts, etc. It worked just fine. If you are missing the Blackberry Browser you may need to send your device a service book. The easiest way to get it is to go to Settings>>options>>Advanced Options>>Host Routing Tables then click the wheel and select Register Now from the menu list.

The other way is to log on to your BIS/BWC account and go to Profiles and select send service book.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-27-2005, 11:04 AM   #11
cwosigns
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9300

I tried both suggestions but I still don't have the BlackBerry Browser.

I bought mine at a Cingular store.
Columbus, Ohio
Old 11-27-2005, 11:14 AM   #12
justelise
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700c

I tried everything in this thread and still do not have the Blackberry Browser. Perhaps this is a limitation of Cingular's BIS?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #13
barjohn

I am only on the Cingular BIS and I have the browser. I am not sure what you may have done wrong but here is a suggestion. Download the 8700c firmware. You should be able to find a link to it in an earlier post here or on the Cingular site. Install it and then after you connect your 8700 go to the application loader and check to see if the Browser has a check by it. If not check it and go ahead and install it.

Active PIN 203A5535

Last edited by barjohn; 11-27-2005 at 11:27 AM..
Old 11-27-2005, 12:16 PM   #14
pollster

Default check by BB browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
I am only on the Cingular BIS and I have the browser. I am not sure what you may have done wrong but here is a suggestion. Download the 8700c firmware. You should be able to find a link to it in an earlier post here or on the Cingular site. Install it and then after you connect your 8700 go to the application loader and check to see if the Browser has a check by it. If not check it and go ahead and install it.
I have bb browser and it is checked in service book and says it is active/ however do not have a bb browser icon on desk top -
Old 11-27-2005, 12:40 PM   #15
justelise
No longer Registered.

I am in the same boat with pollster on this one.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:59 PM   #16
kal311

Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justelise
I tried everything in this thread and still do not have the Blackberry Browser. Perhaps this is a limitation of Cingular's BIS?
Same thing here. The cingular browser is the only one installed. Why do some 8700's have the bb browser and some dont?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:12 PM   #17
barjohn

I was not speaking of in your service book. I am talking about the application loader from the desktop manager. You won't be able to see any applications until you install the 8700 firmware to your desktop. Then run the application loader and you will see your different applications, check or uncheck depending on whether you want the application or don't. Then continue on to have the application loader either load or remove the wanted/unwanted applications. Attachment service, Browser and Java Script are all applications that need to be checked. This should fix your problem.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-27-2005, 01:52 PM   #18
acoss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I was not speaking of in your service book. I am talking about the application loader from the desktop manager. You won't be able to see any applications until you install the 8700 firmware to your desktop. Then run the application loader and you will see your different applications, check or uncheck depending on whether you want the application or don't. Then continue on to have the application loader either load or remove the wanted/unwanted applications. Attachment service, Browser and Java Script are all applications that need to be checked. This should fix your problem.
I'm also experiencing the same problem; i have the bb browser and cingular browser servicebooks, i tried with the app loader and the browser is installed but grayed out, it doesn't let me re-install or remove it. Same problem with the 7290
Old 11-27-2005, 03:05 PM   #19
barjohn

If you are drastic enough you can try doing a wipe of the device and reinstalling the OS. I have done it once on an 8700 and it went smoothly. I have no idea why the browser would be greyed out. You can also call Cingular Tech support and ask for RIM help. You do have an unlimited BlackBerry data plan on the account I presume? Maybe it is something Cingular need to activate on your account.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-27-2005, 04:10 PM   #20
acoss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
If you are drastic enough you can try doing a wipe of the device and reinstalling the OS. I have done it once on an 8700 and it went smoothly. I have no idea why the browser would be greyed out. You can also call Cingular Tech support and ask for RIM help. You do have an unlimited BlackBerry data plan on the account I presume? Maybe it is something Cingular need to activate on your account.
I'll try that and post results later..javaloader usbwipe right?
and yes unlimited data
also is your sim card cingular 64k?
Closed Thread