Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #21
SplinterCell
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Good questions daphne you should be an investigative reporter.

I also have one last bone to pick with the "Spy Master"...

Quote:
I am quite certain that I have raised awareness, but I am not sure if its enough.
So, does this mean your ready to do more? I ask this because, Hizballah has certainly raised awairnes; yet Israel just intercepted a peaceful ship carrying peaceful rockets to peaceful Hizballah. Peaceful like your PhoneSnoop? Are you going to attack more BlackBerry's? Of course in your peaceful teach us a lesson raise awareness, kinda way.

sheran-g you should put a link to this thread on your blog and that kisses.zensay page. Also, I like the Kim Jong-il looking avatar you have on Twitter and CrackBerry, makes you look real trustworthy!

Best of luck with kisses,
Chris
Old 11-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #22
R_U_Nuts

Wow.. just freaking wow.

As the smartphone market increases, sadly enough, we will see more of these kind of threats evolve.. at least half of the battle is staying informed.
No, users don't want to be bothered with these "inconveniences" but hiding our heads in the sand won't stop them either.
Sheran has shared the results of his efforts/work, it's information people.. data.
It can be used for either good or evil depending on who is using it and your definition of the two. By it's self it is simply data, openly shared for your consumption or not.

If you don't "get it" you will probably soon have "it" is my theory.

~cat~
Old 11-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #23
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Huh?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #24
R_U_Nuts

In short, you have mistaken a sheepdog for a wolf.
chirashi.zensay.com/2009/11/team-blackberryforums-fuk-yeah/#disqus_thread

~cat~
Old 11-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #25
SplinterCell

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_U_Nuts View Post
In short, you have mistaken a sheepdog for a wolf.
chirashi.zensay.com/2009/11/team-blackberryforums-fuk-yeah/#disqus_thread

~cat~
Sure, just a big bad wolf! Are you on drugs? I read through the rant and honestly, what's your point? Besides, you clowns are no “super-spy”, “spy-master” learn how to hide your tracks...Firefox 3.5 running on MacOSX with a resolution of 1280x1024. I wouldn't go looking under anymore rocks if I were you. I will not show you anymore of my cards!

“If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a duck”.

Stay away from my BlackBerry,
Chris
Old 11-17-2009, 02:10 AM   #26
SplinterCell

Ok, someone did a little extra home work and just a few minutes ago made this post (also quoted bellow)on CrackBerry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catseyenu View Post
After a little research I found not only Brian Krebs at the Washington Post's even handed discussion of the author and his tools, Sheran Gunasekera was also interviewed by Dark Reading as well as by PCWorld.
He explains in his blog how PhoneSnoop came about after his presentation of Bugs at the Hack In The Box (HITB) security conference as a promise to other security researchers.
I even went so far as to contact Brian Krebs, who I've had the pleasure of dealing with on several occasions in the past, who shared his surprise at the reception Sheran received from some of the BB forums.
My findings in short, Sheran Gunasekera is a valid & known security researcher who has been kind enough to develop and share a legitimate Blackberry security application with the community.
Here is a copy of my response to that gentleman...

I'm still not installing Kisses; however, you have explained this in a way that Sheran could not. Even after reading his rant and most everything that I researched prior gave me every reason not to trust him. Even after multiple Google searches, Bryan's write-up and the US-CERT warning it was all grounds to raise the red flag.

It's you actually contacting Brian Krebs that has me thinking that I may be wrong about Sheran. Still not interested in any Kisses, but nevertheless, I may have held the wrong opinion.

I am still a lottle confused as to why he's asking for donations to purchase Flexispy and MobileSpy; when he says Kisses already detects them?

Nice homework,
Chris

P.S. Sheran, if I do in fact have it all wrong about you and/or your intentions, I do apologize. And no one called you a terrorist besides myself. And from what I gather everyone was just asking questions that you couldn't answer. All the more reason for my suspicions and I don't trust code from anywhere and am always very skeptical of Kim Jong Il avatars.

In addition perhaps you weren't deliberately spying on me, but it looked as if you were trying to gather lintel on me from your work PC.

I will be keeping an eye on Kisses and PhoneSnoop, but from a distance. And would still like to know why your asking for donations to purchase Flexispy and MobileSpy; when you mention Kisses already detects them? You must already have the software to have added them in the first place. I don't know maybe they frequently update the code and charge for new builds?

And yes, I consider PhoneSnoop an act of terror (cyber terror not not KSM (kaleid sheikh mohammed) type stuff); compromising someones BlackBerry device like that is deliberate sabotage. Just because, you are not the one personaly attacking devices doesn't make it cool. You are still providing the means to meet the ends.

Good luck,
Chris
Old 11-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #27
R_U_Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplinterCell View Post
Sure, just a big bad wolf! Are you on drugs? I read through the rant and honestly, what's your point? Besides, you clowns are no “super-spy”, “spy-master” learn how to hide your tracks...Firefox 3.5 running on MacOSX with a resolution of 1280x1024. I wouldn't go looking under anymore rocks if I were you. I will not show you anymore of my cards!

“If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a duck”.

Chris
What are you going on about this time? Learn to hide my tracks?
LOL! FYI, I am the ~cat~

/So many carpet pi$$ing puppies, so little time.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #28
SplinterCell

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_U_Nuts
Quote:

Chris
What are you going on about this time? Learn to hide my tracks?
LOL! FYI, I am the ~cat~

/So many carpet pi$$ing puppies, so little time.
I figured that cat and look if I was wrong about you I offer my apologies. I'm not going on about anything, but I will be following your project with interest in being proved wrong. Moreover, you do use Firefox 3.5 and you do run a Mac OS and you were poking around.

All is well,
Chris
Old 11-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #29
R_U_Nuts

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

I figured that cat and look if I was wrong about you I offer my apologies. I'm not going on about anything, but I will be following your project with interest in being proved wrong. Moreover, you do use Firefox 3.5 and you do run a Mac OS and you were poking around.

All is well,
Chris
First.. it's not my project, it's Sheran's. I am in no way affiliated with his company or project.
Second.. I haven't "poked around" anything you own, if I did you can bet your she-male pron collection you'd never know it.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #30
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Oh wow.

A bit off the topic. Let's keep this to Kisses and not anything personal... everyone.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #31
R_U_Nuts

JSanders ,
I was attempting to inject humor, I apologize it it came off otherwise.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #32
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Yep, cool, I laughed too.

But this thread does have the gun powder to be explosive... so.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #33
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Wow.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #34
davidandrew
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: Ask.
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Oh wow.

A bit off the topic. Let's keep this to Kisses and not anything personal... everyone.
My head got pretty boggled on the flip flopping.

Sheran seemed a tad defensive to me, not sure if I trust all of it.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #35
TTsoldier
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2168B71A
Carrier: bmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Sheran, I can only think that if Norton or McAfee developed viruses (even "nice" ones) to raise awareness of the need for antivirus applications, you would be screaming.

I know I would.

Unless you come up with a better gameplan, I call this the fox guarding the hen house, and that just doesn't fly.
Who do you think develop the majority of viruses? The companies who sell the anti virus products...
Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #36
sheran-g

Model: 9000
Carrier: Other
Angry Valid questions will be answered

Hello All,

In the interest of trying to bring some closure to this thread before it escalates into some sort of flame war, I'd like to state the following:

Please post valid questions here. They will be answered if I see that you have thoroughly researched the topic and aren't asking questions just because you're lazy. It is up to you whether you want to accept my explanation or not. If you don't accept it, say so in a few short lines. I will then either respond to it to clarify or tell you otherwise

You can also visit my site and read the FAQ there, FWIW: Kisses - the spyware detector | FAQ

Here are a few comments to get you started if you wish:

1. I wrote PhoneSnoop. It is considered by many who don't understand it as spyware. The rest of the informed crowd know its a proof-of-concept tool and is not insidious.
2. I wrote Kisses. It has been considered by many as useful and I have emails to prove that. Kisses is a free, spyware and hidden program detector. It removes FlexiSpy, MobileSpy and PhoneSnoop. It is not spyware.
3. I asked for donations or copies of FlexiSpy and MobileSpy initially. A kind member of the community donated both FlexiSpy and MobileSpy. I have since removed the donations request. I still have a donations request on my FAQ page. This is to help with the upkeep of the server. It is not strictly required yet because I am able to pay for the server upkeep myself.

Thank you for your attention.

Last edited by JSanders; 11-18-2009 at 12:27 AM..
Old 11-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #37
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

This is starting to sound like a conspiracy theory thread, but a believable conspiracy theory.

To think about those that want to protect us are the same ones that make the software that could hurt us?

If someone has a history of making spyware, I don't want to go anywhere near anything else they make, no matter what an article says. Is it normal for people to download apps and such from unkown sources? As a new BB user, I cannot see myself doing that.

Edit: I do have a question Sheran. How can you expect to be taken seriouslly as a developer of antispyware when you've made it yourself? What sort of validity can you give us that Kisses would be spyware free itself?

Last edited by Noodle22; 11-17-2009 at 10:04 PM..
Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #38
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTsoldier View Post
Who do you think develop the majority of viruses? The companies who sell the anti virus products...
Do you have any proof of that? It is so NOT true.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #39
sheran-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
If someone has a history of making spyware, I don't want to go anywhere near anything else they make, no matter what an article says. Is it normal for people to download apps and such from unkown sources? As a new BB user, I cannot see myself doing that.
Congratulations, you're one of the few BB users that are cautious about downloading software from unknown sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
Edit: I do have a question Sheran. How can you expect to be taken seriouslly as a developer of antispyware when you've made it yourself? What sort of validity can you give us that Kisses would be spyware free itself?
I would expect to be taken more seriously because I am providing people with an idea of what a typical spyware program might look like. Were you aware that programs like FlexiSpy and MobileSpy existed for years before I released PhoneSnoop? And were you aware that they have way more features than PhoneSnoop does? And were you also aware that they have stealth capabilities, so if someone you knew decided to install it on your BB (without your knowledge) then you will not know that all your emails, sms messeges, call logs, gps co-ordinates and ambient noise around your phone are being spied on? These tools are available for anyone willing to part with $300-$400. They are marketed as tools to "help catch cheating spouses".

I am providing people with a look at what one of the features of these programs look like. My approach to the issue is that if you know what it looks like then you have a better understanding of how to deal with or recognize something similar if you ever encounter it.

I am not going into a business of making spyware or antispyware. I am just sharing my findings.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #40
sheran-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Do you have any proof of that? It is so NOT true.
If I may play devil's advocate here for a second. How do we know its NOT true? Here's a thread full of people accusing me because I wrote both supposed spyware and antispyware. My actions are transparent. What assurance do we have that AV vendors don't write viruses? We can't really see it can we? Do we trust them because they're large corporations with lots of money? Do we trust them for their brand name and the fact that they've been in business for so long? You guys sit here and ask ME for proof. Has anyone bothered to ask them?

Okay, now for my real opinion: I am fairly certain that AV companies do not write viruses just to sell their products.
Closed Thread