Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #61
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Alltel
Default Anyone want an unused kit?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone. As a result of this thread and the awesome pictures of the black kit, I went ahead and ordered one about 2 weeks ago.

Then I switched to the Pearl.

Then the kit arrived yesterday.

So...... If anyone is interested in purchasing one of these kits brand new and unopened, and would like to make me an offer, feel free.

SOLD. THANKS!

Chris

Last edited by ChristopherRI; 11-12-2007 at 06:45 PM..
Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #62
kramerica
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon

Ditto on the pics (i.e. like the way it looked). That silver/blue keys was really my biggest hangup on this phone as I am not crackberry proficient.

I ordered the kit Friday (11/9) afternoon and paid the extra $16 for the "4" day service. I was shocked as hell to answer the door this morning (Monday, 11/12) and see a FedEx driver standing there with my order. IMPRESSIVE!

Let's hope the rest if it goes as smooth as for some reason I have worked myself up on doing the swap out. Panzy.

Anywho, shipping with CNN appears to be top notch with the company. Let's hope the product is on the same level.

Thanks for the link, idea, post and the pics.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #63
brianr0131

Model: 7250
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerica View Post
Ditto on the pics (i.e. like the way it looked). That silver/blue keys was really my biggest hangup on this phone as I am not crackberry proficient.

I ordered the kit Friday (11/9) afternoon and paid the extra $16 for the "4" day service. I was shocked as hell to answer the door this morning (Monday, 11/12) and see a FedEx driver standing there with my order. IMPRESSIVE!

Let's hope the rest if it goes as smooth as for some reason I have worked myself up on doing the swap out. Panzy.

Anywho, shipping with CNN appears to be top notch with the company. Let's hope the product is on the same level.

Thanks for the link, idea, post and the pics.
If your original side rails are still in good shape re use them. This way you'll have a spare set of brand new side rails in case of a drop in the future. Just a little piece of advice.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #64
kramerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLpFhaWK View Post
Still lookin for someone in Mass to do mine=)

sLpFhaWK in Mass, you can do this. Trust me. I got myself all worked up over it for no reason. I installed mine yesterday. WOW! Love the "new" look. The only difficulty I had was the glue on the side rails as previously mentioned. It's really on there. Just be patient pulling/seperating as it will come off. I did have an exacto knife handy and needed it for just this reason, but again, couldn't have been any easier.

I do recommend a can of air (as did someone else in this thread) in case dust gets on the screen (mine did but was quickly remedied). Other than that, I had no problems. I did not experience the battery door/side rail issue. Mine snapped right in and the battery door fits as snug as the original.

The only downside to this housing was the very noticeable smudging/fingerprints. I use bestskinsever, so that alleviated that problem once I put them on.

Overall, very happy this housing was suggested and put in the forum. The keys are so much easier to see, especially during the day and I really do like the black look.

Thanks again BB Forums!
Old 11-14-2007, 03:47 AM   #65
piusg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Wow.

It's pretty cool to see a thread that I originally started get so much traffic.

For all you guys who did the switch, and are enjoying your fantastic new black case as much as I'm enjoying mine, congratulations--and I'm glad I could be of service to the BlackBerry community.

Keep on thummin'!
Old 11-14-2007, 03:51 AM   #66
sLpFhaWK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 24a3cd45
Carrier: Tmobile

Okie I might have to bite the bullet and just attempt it myself.. The side rails are glued on and most people have problems w/ them, but if that glue is not sticky once you remove them would they just snap in place if i wanted to use those instead? And I seen in the video he uses a non prying tool, like a plastic tool to get them off, if you have nothing like that what are some other tools u could use, xacto knife i seen kramerica used, any other?

Also if you don't care about the oem housing and rails does it matter if they are dmged? besides putting it in for warranty work? thanks for the replies.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 AM   #67
piusg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLpFhaWK View Post
Okie I might have to bite the bullet and just attempt it myself.. The side rails are glued on and most people have problems w/ them, but if that glue is not sticky once you remove them would they just snap in place if i wanted to use those instead? And I seen in the video he uses a non prying tool, like a plastic tool to get them off, if you have nothing like that what are some other tools u could use, xacto knife i seen kramerica used, any other?

Also if you don't care about the oem housing and rails does it matter if they are dmged? besides putting it in for warranty work? thanks for the replies.
Well...

The rails are held on towards the top with some pretty hefty double-sided tape--not glue, necessarily--and it will remain tacky enough to re-affix the rails to the unit. In truth the design of the rails and they way they hook to the top of the unit makes the tape kind of redundant, which you'll see once you get them off.

Working slowly from the bottom up with the pry tool (included in the CNN kit) will separate the rails fairly easily. The odds that they'd actually be damaged during the removal is unlikely. I wouldn't use an Xacto blade on them simply because you risk scratching the rails or slicing your finger open with it--the forces involved in cleaving the rails from the Berry might be too much for a thin Xacto blade, and you really don't want to bunch up the tape getting the rails off.

An earlier poster suggested using your original Berry's rails. That's a dandy idea and I did just that; that way, I have a set of brand-new virgin rails ready to go on in case something untoward happens to my Berry (unlikely because I use the Blackberry silicone rubber skin). Besides, the rails that com in the kit and your original rails are identical--sort of a smokey chrome that goes equally well with both cases.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:14 AM   #68
sLpFhaWK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 24a3cd45
Carrier: Tmobile

Just ordered mine.. w00t

Yeah I just got my 8830 swapped out via Warranty w/ Verizon so my rails now are fairly new and not marked up. I'm going to do the same, use the old ones and have a fresh new pair if anything happens. Thanks guys!

Last edited by sLpFhaWK; 11-20-2007 at 02:16 AM..
Old 11-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #69
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

Did mine today. It was fairly easy. Looks real nice. No problems with the battery door. No problems at all. It all snapped into place. The double sided tape actually made taking the back off a little harder though. But after watching the tape, it was clear that they pushed the back plate up (towards the top) before taking it off. The back plate was the toughest part to remove. I thought it was going to break. Anyway, if I can do it then anyone can. I'm not known as Tim the Tool Man by my wife for no reason. Go for it sLpFhaWk. You can do it.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #70
rjansen3
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Has anyone yet noticed if swapping the shells makes the phone more prone to gettint lint behind the screen? I feel like this phone is really good at not doing that, but I am wondering if tearing it open will change that

Motorola i710 , i730 , i860 , i930
7100i , 8830 , 8330
Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 PM   #71
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Can't tell you of course, since my shell has been on for about three hours. But now if it does, I can take it apart and clean it! We'll see.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #72
sinnfein07

Model: 7130e

I just got mine today - ordered way back on 11/5 so it did take a long time (I used the cheapest shipment method.) Of course, I'm on the east coast so that probably adds a few working days to the shipment time.

The installation went very well - I did the whole thing (KB, case, side rails, ...). Looks wonderful. I've got one frustrating thing right now with the green send button - it doesn't have a good "feel" (no click) and is hard to press now. I took it back apart to see if there was something blocking it but I can't seem to free it up properly. I'll use it for a couple of days and see if it "self - heals". Otherwise I'll drop the company an email and see if they would be willing to send me another KB to install. At least it's just the green send key... i don't use that too much.

Reiterating other folks comments... man the black really is much nicer all-around than the silver. Just looks so much crisper and more professional and the keyboard is lightyears more usable.

I put a bestskinsever on it so it will last much longer in the electronics hell that is my pocket!
Old 11-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #73
yester18
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW

All black w/ skin applied

Old 11-21-2007, 12:45 AM   #74
rjansen3

Default another question?

are the side rails re-usable, meaning, do the rails go back on after you've pulled them off? or do i have to buy new side rails along with the keyboard?

7100i , 8830 , 8330
Old 11-21-2007, 05:30 AM   #75
stevenmz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjansen3 View Post
are the side rails re-usable, meaning, do the rails go back on after you've pulled them off? or do i have to buy new side rails along with the keyboard?
Side rails go back on. They are a little stubborn to get off due to the sticky tape used. Just use the plastic tool you got with the case and they will pry off with a couple of unsettling snaps. Gentle but firm effort is the rule. The tape is not really needed as they snap back on and are held in place by the battery cover area screws.

Last edited by stevenmz; 11-21-2007 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #76
rjansen3

Default is there

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmz View Post
Side rails go back on. They are a little stubborn to get off due to the sticky tape used. Just use the plastic tool you got with the case and they will pry off with a couple of unsettling snaps. Gentle but firm effort is the rule. The tape is not really needed as they snap back on and are held in place by the battery cover area screws.
is there replacment tape? i feel like that might be helping keep out dust and hair from getting behind the screen, and i realize i could just crack it open. but opening it up every week would probably ruin the side rails with time.

7100i , 8830 , 8330
Old 11-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #77
stevenmz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjansen3 View Post
is there replacment tape? i feel like that might be helping keep out dust and hair from getting behind the screen, and i realize i could just crack it open. but opening it up every week would probably ruin the side rails with time.
I've asked that question here before but was told that new side rails come with the double faced tape already on. I haven't looked, but your local craft store might be the ticket. It makes me feel better that there is someone as obsessed as me when it comes to my berry. I dropped it last week and am still depressed about the scratch......grrrr
Old 11-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #78
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Didn't see any double sided tape on the rails that came with my shell. And truthfully, it's not needed. The rails snap on and are very tight. The double sided tape is only a centimeter long or so. It's not what keeps dust out of the unit. It's only at the top of the unit on each side. I'm kind of glad it's gone. Now I can snap on and off the rails very easily if I need to switch out again.

Last edited by mriff; 11-21-2007 at 08:08 PM..
Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 PM   #79
rjansen3

Default ok

well i have ordered a whole case, so I hope the tools still come with it. I only am switching out the keyboard and midplate for now, the other parts i will hold onto for later, when my screen starts getting all tore up. I will be sure to post about my proceedings!

7100i , 8830 , 8330
Old 11-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #80
MooseNYC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

I received my kit the other day and was able to change it out without to much trouble.

The kit includes the side rail extract tool & the torx driver.

I reused my side rails so that, as others have mentioned here, i will have a new set incase i need to replace them in the future. Although thats doubtful since I also put a BES skin on it.

There was a comment earlier about the quality of the keyboards, that they may be factory seconds(?) I'll have to agree with that as a few of my keys no longer have that nice 'click' fee to them.

sinnfein07 - I have the exact same problem as you do. I think I'm going to write them and ask for a new keyboard.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the way it looks.

Personally I didnt end up using the 'mid plate' as I didnt see a need to disassemble it that far. Is there any one who did or didnt and has any comments on the pros or cons either way?

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by MooseNYC; 11-22-2007 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: updated info on keyboard issue
Closed Thread