Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #41
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Please Login to Remove!

My dock should be here tomorrow... Will update once I get it...

I will have to try that widget out... I tried a different app to manage the profiles and did not really like it.. Thanks for the update..

Kris
Old 11-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #42
BeefyBeefo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
My dock should be here tomorrow... Will update once I get it...

I will have to try that widget out... I tried a different app to manage the profiles and did not really like it.. Thanks for the update..

Kris
I can't find the docks anywhere (for a reasonable price). When Verizon has them in stock, they seem to sell out within a few minutes!

That widget I mentioned is very simple (just how I like it). It serves my purposes in that I can turn it to vibrate or off when I get to work. Let me know what you think!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #43
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

This is the thread about what happened to the guy's Droid when he plugged it in to charge. there's also an app mentioned that is similar to the bedside mode that BB has (which is cool imo). What is this phone officially supposed to do when plugged in?Because - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Old 11-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #44
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
I can't find the docks anywhere (for a reasonable price). When Verizon has them in stock, they seem to sell out within a few minutes!

That widget I mentioned is very simple (just how I like it). It serves my purposes in that I can turn it to vibrate or off when I get to work. Let me know what you think!
If you are fast they are available online NOW with free shipping... Dont know how long they will stay in stock as they are selling out fast!

Click me for the charging dock
Old 11-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #45
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
If you are fast they are available online NOW with free shipping... Dont know how long they will stay in stock as they are selling out fast!

Click me for the charging dock
Guess they are sold out again as now it does not even list it as an accessory....

Mine says on truck for delivery....
Old 11-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #46
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Update on the charging dock...

Yes the screen does stay on while in the dock... There are however 2 options for this... One is to press the dim button on the touch screen area (dims it quite a bit but the screen is still on) or two is to press the screen lock key on the device. This puts the screen to sleep (100% off) but still leaves functioning of the device on...

Kris
Old 11-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #47
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

So I recently found out that the Droid doesn't support voice dialing via Bluetooth? Really? Tell me that's not true.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #48
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

No clue as I have never used BT with anything other than my car... It works just fine in my Audi...
Old 11-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #49
JayGee

Model: 7100t
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile

My friend has one, the phone is sweeeet....there very custimizable, and looks futuristic
Old 11-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #50
contraria2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8530
Carrier: vzw

I bought the droid last night. I gotta tell you, it's an amazing piece of technology, does really cool stuff, and a whole bunch of accolades; BUT, having had (and been insanely addicted to) a BB for 5 years, I must say, when it comes to emailing and making a simple phone call, the bb is much easier.

Here are some of my gripes (take into consideration I have the droid for barely 24 hours)

Bluetooth wont hook up with my car JVC BT, nav stereo.
Cannot text to multiple contacts
Does not have dedicated "external" phone buttons
Cannot read other languages (Hebrew etc.) on websites or emails
It's "too much" of a toy. (You find yourself spending 1/2 the time on apps and widgets.)
Sifting thru contacts to make a pc or send a text is (alarmingly) time consuming
AND - there is no way you can do "stuff" while driving or busy with something else.

I still like it, I'm going to TRY to solve some of these issues, otherwise, I will just go back to my 8330 and wait for the Tour2 to upgrade
Old 11-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #51
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Nice looking but it does have its drawbacks. For me, the one show stopper that I know of is no sync to Outlook for contacts and calendar info. I know that I can use Google and I do for calendar, but I really need the Outlook integration.

Planning to do a review of it? Please keep us updated on how you use it, how you like it and the pluses and minuses.
Not true of the eris. It syncs to Outlook.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #52
jnyost

Quote:
Went nutz today while I was in the Verizon store... Picked me up the Motorola Droid after laying with it for an hour or so.... I have to say it's pretty sweet!!! Still have my BB's but this puppy might be my new main decive...

Me like!!!

Kris
Me too. I just bought a new Curve 8530 and my wife got the new droid. I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of returning the 8530 and looking at either of the 2 droids. The OS has me very impressed. I think I'll like the Eris hardware a little better.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:41 AM   #53
BeefyBeefo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by contraria2 View Post
I bought the droid last night. I gotta tell you, it's an amazing piece of technology, does really cool stuff, and a whole bunch of accolades; BUT, having had (and been insanely addicted to) a BB for 5 years, I must say, when it comes to emailing and making a simple phone call, the bb is much easier.

Here are some of my gripes (take into consideration I have the droid for barely 24 hours)
I think this is key. It takes time to get used to something new. I've used Blackberrys for longer than you have, but this Droid is simply incredible.

Quote:
Cannot text to multiple contacts
Use Handcent. It does this quite nicely. You just check off the names of all desired recipients.

Quote:
It's "too much" of a toy. (You find yourself spending 1/2 the time on apps and widgets.)
I suspect this will diminish slightly with time. It's something new and has many more apps to play with than the Blackberrys do.

Quote:
Sifting thru contacts to make a pc or send a text is (alarmingly) time consuming
I find this to be quite easy, and easily as fast as my Blackberrys were. I suspect you will find it easier as you get more used to the phone.

Quote:
AND - there is no way you can do "stuff" while driving or busy with something else.
This comment actually pisses me off a little. Either use voice dialing or put the damn phone down, no matter what phone it is. I've almost been rear-ended multiple times (especially on my motorcycle) by people staring at their phones rather than paying attention to the road.

Quote:
I still like it, I'm going to TRY to solve some of these issues, otherwise, I will just go back to my 8330 and wait for the Tour2 to upgrade
I'm curious to see how this turns out for you. Keep us updated.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #54
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
IThis comment actually pisses me off a little. Either use voice dialing or put the damn phone down, no matter what phone it is. I've almost been rear-ended multiple times (especially on my motorcycle) by people staring at their phones rather than paying attention to the road.
Yep. It's scary out there on two wheels, and it's worse because people think that manipulating something with teeny tiny buttons while operating a 3000 pound machine at 65+ miles an hour is somehow ok.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #55
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

do stuff while driving? err.. aren't you meant to be concentrating on the road?

i'm sorry, but the comment was just daft.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #56
contraria2

Wow...sorry for mentioning the "driving" bit.... I didn't mean I trade stocks and buy airline tickets while driving. I meant even simple stuff like accessing the phone icon, getting thru contacts and dialing a number etc. THIS is (thus far - for me) much easier on the BB.

I will keep ya'll posted, but all I can say for now to those who are sitting on the fence; go to the vz store and really play with it. Or buy one for 29 days. You may fall head over heels, and/or you may see what I mean. It's a great phone, but it's hard to let go of the BB.

I may possibly get hooked enough to keep both. But I cannot see myself completely getting rid of my BB for the droid. Not yet.

PS, if ANYONE can tell me -- step by step -- how to get a stock-market widget, with the DOW/NAZ/S&P on the front page where it updates etc. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited by contraria2; 11-27-2009 at 12:50 PM..
Old 11-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #57
contraria2

One more thing...

I have a difficult time believing, that I will ever be able to type an email on the droid (virtual or actual) keyboard as quickly as I do on a BB.

I send/receive hundreds of texts/emails a day. We'll see.

(Still, every hour I discover something about the droid which makes me want to keep it... -- Confused.)
Old 11-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #58
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
Not true of the eris. It syncs to Outlook.
I know. But we are discussing the "Droid, not the Eris. HTC Sync works OK from what I have read and heard. Doesn't work on the "Droid however.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #59
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
I know. But we are discussing the "Droid, not the Eris. HTC Sync works OK from what I have read and heard. Doesn't work on the "Droid however.
The Eris is called the Droid also. People "assume" you mean the Motorola but they are both called the Droid by Verizon.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:19 AM   #60
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
The Eris is called the Droid also. People "assume" you mean the Motorola but they are both called the Droid by Verizon.
They are not both called the Droid... They both have the Android OS but one is called the Droid and one is called the Eris...

:shrug:
Closed Thread