Old 07-17-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon
Default The Best Quality Phone

Please Login to Remove!

What is the cell phone company who you feel makes the highest quality phones?

If your phone manufacturer isn't listed, then create a reply post within this thread and list it

Last edited by JGBerry; 07-17-2007 at 08:21 AM..
Old 07-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Apple.
While I don't have one, and I choose not to... the iPhone is, in my opinion, the best designed phone yet.
I'm not speaking in regards to features and/or functionality.
You asked about the quality of the phone itself. Apple's hardware and engineering is and always has been top-notch.

By the way... BlackBerry is the model. RIM (Research in Motion) is the manufacturer.

Last edited by penguin3107; 07-17-2007 at 08:24 AM..
Old 07-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Apple.

holy crap dude, that was quick...i literally just posted it lol
Old 07-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

He waited a whole three minutes to post...
Old 07-17-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I agree with Penguin, I know - real surprise. But the design of the phone is impressive and the speed of the OS is just as good.

I think RIM is up there but my 8800 has let me down.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Apple.
While I don't have one, and I choose not to... the iPhone is, in my opinion, the best designed phone yet.
I'm not speaking in regards to features and/or functionality.
You asked about the quality of the phone itself. Apple's hardware and engineering is and always has been top-notch.

By the way... BlackBerry is the model. RIM (Research in Motion) is the manufacturer.

my mistake, i wasn't thinking (duhh, i knew RIM made Blackberry haha)
Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
He waited a whole three minutes to post...
yea it seemed almost like an instant post b/c i am multi-tasking and i looked down to read some more of this report i need to edit and i looked up and hit refresh and there was a post already...
Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

You get what you pay for. Every manufacturer has an impressive phone or phone line up but expect to pay lots of money for it. High end Nokia's, LG's etc. all are very well made, Iphone is in the same price category, so you should expect that to be well made as well.

All in a matter of how much you pay.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess View Post
You get what you pay for. Every manufacturer has an impressive phone or phone line up but expect to pay lots of money for it. High end Nokia's, LG's etc. all are very well made, Iphone is in the same price category, so you should expect that to be well made as well.

All in a matter of how much you pay.

This is true...however I feel certain manufacturers, regardless of price point, seem to have a higher standard of quality over others. in my opinion, i think motorola has the poorest quality for a major manufacturer, however pantech might have taken the #1 spot for that. unfortunately for nokia, they sub-contracted out their verizon cell phone line to Pantech, but kept the nokia name...bad move in my opinion. however, they seem to be holding up alright, but the verizon nokia flip phones are not very well recommended
Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I dont know I have had alot of Motos and I have had great luck with them.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Your viewpoint on this may also depend on whether your are on GSM or CDMA. Many OEM's tend to focus on one or the other as part of their business strategy. So, for example if you had great success with GSM Motorolas, you may not be as fortunate with CDMA Motorolas. (just an example, don't know if that is true of Moto or not).
Old 07-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #12
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub33 View Post
Your viewpoint on this may also depend on whether your are on GSM or CDMA. Many OEM's tend to focus on one or the other as part of their business strategy. So, for example if you had great success with GSM Motorolas, you may not be as fortunate with CDMA Motorolas. (just an example, don't know if that is true of Moto or not).
that's a good point, didn't think of that. you're right...for example...Nokia. they do mostly GSM, and all of their CDMA (at least with Verizon) is outsourced to Pantech
Old 07-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #13
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I think when it comes to quality of the device itself, I have had the most luck with Motorola. From GSM and back to the older TDMA and AMPS models they always seem to hold up to torture. Although I will only use a Blackberry now, I still don't think the newer models are built as well and seem somewhat fragile.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by he1neken View Post
I think when it comes to quality of the device itself, I have had the most luck with Motorola. From GSM and back to the older TDMA and AMPS models they always seem to hold up to torture. Although I will only use a Blackberry now, I still don't think the newer models are built as well and seem somewhat fragile.
Ive had both GSM and IDEN and all were tough as nails and worked great. My wife is carrying a moto cdma and no issues with it. Matter of fact it gets better service and call quality than my BB
Old 07-18-2007, 07:33 AM   #15
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by he1neken View Post
agreed. the older BB's were much better built in my opinion. as good as the 8700 is, it's all plastic and the keypad feels very cheap and just a few months of heavy use and it starts to slide around, etc, y'know what i mean?

motorola IDEN phones are definitely top notch quality. i'm an EMT and we have several Nextel IDEN phones and we have dropped them, stepped on them, gotten them wet, and they still stand up to the challenge. we got a grant about 2 years ago and they bought a dozen of those yellow and black flip phones. they were ROCK SOLID, and we took one and kicked it around in the air like we were playing hacki-sack...and it still was absolutely fine. motorola consumer grade cell phones...well i think that's a different story. the quality of the Razr I think it sub-par and it has a very fragile housing, not to mention a poor quality hinge. the earlier motorola's were high quality but I think they started to stray away from quality when they got that new CEO and he focused solely on style (which made motorola millions and millions of dollars by the way). motorola does extensive drop testing of their phones, however when it comes to normal wear and tear and "use" abuse...i don't seem to feel their phones hold up as well as other manufacturers.

that's just my opinion though...and everyone has their own experiences
Old 07-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #16
slick316

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I just got the iPhone, and must say, I am impressed.

I had the 8100 and still have the 8700g and I really was impressed with RIM after using both. The 8700g is still my favorite phone to date.

I had a Nokia with AT&T way back, and it was a sturdy phone, nothing special (but in 2000, no phones really were). I then had a Samsung with Sprint, another great phone. No frills, but very durable, lasted close to 3 years. Then I switched back to Cingular, got the RAZR, hated it. Very slow operating system, and poor call quality. Then I switched to T-Mobile, got the 8700g with data, and loved it. Best call quality I have had from all my previous phones. The speakerphone was the best, loud and clear, worked well in even noisy environments. Stable phone, great battery, durable, etc. Great phone.

Jumped on the iPhone wagon and overall, I like the phone. I like gadgets, and thats what the iPhone is to me. Its a nice phone, but its not for everyone. I think I will probably go back to a Blackberry in a couple years, after I start losing interest in gadgets.

My vote, the RIM Blackberry.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #17
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick316 View Post
I think I will probably go back to a Blackberry in a couple years, after I start losing interest in gadgets.

My vote, the RIM Blackberry.
Does that really ever happen?