BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #21
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

My Sprint rep said the exclusivity of the Pre is not very long at all.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 06-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #22
lpnjakey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

man i looked at a pre today and holy cow the keys are tiny as can be how do you guys type on it?!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #23
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Well, I've got one. Used it for 5 or 6 days, then came running back to BlackBerry. The keyboard is inferior to ANY BlackBerry keyboard. The calendar program is crap and is tied too closely to Google. If you're not already using GMail/Google Calendar, it's tough to integrate something else in it's place. And there is no local sync yet. Talk of it coming "any day nowxxx8482;" but it's still MIA. Might be a fun alternative down the road, when the OS matures a bit, but for now it's a distant second to my BlackBerry.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #24
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Same here.... I played with a pre at best buy and put it back pretty fast... The keyboard is tiny... Can't comment on the features, because as I said, I put it back pretty fast due to the keyboard..

Kris
Old 07-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #25
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

I had one for about a week. The OS is nice and quick. Way better than any Palm OS that I've used in the past. The touch screen was very responsive. Again the keyboard is tiny, like that of a Centro. I couldn't use it if I wanted to. No support for GroupWise.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 07-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #26
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Well, I've retired my Palm Pre for now. I plan to keep it and use it as an alternative/change-of-pace device on occasion, but now that I have a shiny new BlackBerry Tour I don't see the Pre getting much use.

I'm curious to see if Palm can make this WebOS work, and if it reaches the potential it's been touted to have. So far Palm has been hard at work on WebOS, churning out 3 minor updates since launch, and supposedly readying OS 1.1 for late summer. Tons of missing features adn the app catalogue is thin, but it's still a work in progress. I'd love to see Palm make a horse race out of this, rather than go gentle into that good night.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #27
FantasticPhotos

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber205a View Post
HI well new blackberry user here and her it comes the Palm Pre and I cant decide on if I want to switch over so with me valuing everyone"s opinion tell me what you think and your opinion...
well it all depends. The pre is very attracting. I am not planning on getting it. I dont want to charge my phone twice a day. It does have a poor battery life, from what i have read.

I heard the Blackberry tour is the best blackberry out. If you want a touch screen there is a blackberry that is touched as well, but for some reason i cant think of the name.

I personally dont care that much about the touch screen because it does tend to get dirty and smudgy..it is up to you.

I would stick with BB because the battery life is alot better and other things are better
Old 07-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #28
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticPhotos View Post
If you want a touch screen there is a blackberry that is touched as well, but for some reason i cant think of the name.
That would be the "Storm" and as of now, its only available on Verizon.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #29
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

I tried the Pre as well. Just briefly as a colleague bought one and ask for a little help getting it to work in our Exchange / Outlook email. Her Pre had this very strange problem where the screen was not correctly accepting our strokes and swipes. We re-booted it and that seems to solve it. At least for a little while.

Typing on it was indeed awkward. I wanted one of these, but had second thoughts and in the end decided to stick with what has worked so well for me so far. But after using hers for a brief time I have to admit I was kind of horrified. I don't think Apple has anything to worry about with the Pre. In my view it's not ready for release at all.

The video demos of it look so promising, but after using it, though briefly, I found I really don't like it at all. I'm not too big on touch-screens really. Seems like everyone wants to have fun swiping the screen in all directions, but I just want to get work done. I need info and I need it right now. I don't really want to have to play with the device to get what I need. That kind of thing always wears off on me. Looks fun, but quickly becomes a headache.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #30
FantasticPhotos

Model: 9630

I went to raido shack and they had the pre, and i saw the keyboard, it is the exact same keyboard as palm centro. I got rid of my palm centro after having it a week and the keyboard was one of the reasons why i did take it back and got a blackberry curve. the pre and centro keyboard is aweful to type on, just plain aweful
Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #31
Mattywalnuts
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: Options->Status->Hmm
Carrier: Evil Empire

I'm actually activating two Pres on a family plan today. I've been with Verizon for 8 years and I've been using a 8830WE for over 2 years...returned the Tour, wasn't happy with the signal quality.

One of the biggest reasons why I switched to the Pre was the everything share plan from Sprint, which is roughly $35 cheaper per month from what I am paying Verizon. I'm on Long Island/NYC so Sprint is just fine. Another big reason was the Pre's ability to support Microsoft Exchange. Of course, the webOS, touchscreen, and speed are reasons as well.

Will reply with an update over the next few days.

Wifey: Pre > 8530
Old 08-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #32
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattywalnuts View Post
I'm actually activating two Pres on a family plan today. I've been with Verizon for 8 years and I've been using a 8830WE for over 2 years...returned the Tour, wasn't happy with the signal quality.

One of the biggest reasons why I switched to the Pre was the everything share plan from Sprint, which is roughly $35 cheaper per month from what I am paying Verizon. I'm on Long Island/NYC so Sprint is just fine. Another big reason was the Pre's ability to support Microsoft Exchange. Of course, the webOS, touchscreen, and speed are reasons as well.

Will reply with an update over the next few days.
Sounds a little like me. I bought an iPhone. First day I got Exchange up via Active Sync. Found all kinds of reason to like it. bought tons of apps, loaded a movie from itunes and watch it on a train ride. Life was good. Except that the device wasn't so great after the honeymoon ended. Three months later I was looking at my trusted 8310 sitting with all my older junk. And I oddly found myself missing it. Three months later I was selling my iPhone on ebay and re-activating my blackberry.

I held onto that 8310 barely long enough for the pre to release. I was totally lusting after the Pre. Wanted the Srint Everything plan too. A friend got the pre before me and asked for my help getting it on the Exchange server. After using hers for a short time I admit, I decided not to get a Pre and waited still longer for the 8900 curve. When that released, I thought, time to ditch AT&T as I got a lot of dropped calls. Waited longer for the Tour on Verizon.

Finally got a new phone. OMFG I love the Tour. It's the only phone that could replace my 8310.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #33
Tragic

Model: EVO

The PRE is meant to be a fun phone. The platform is cool as hell and there isn't anything else like it, you can run multiple apps including multiple web pages at any time. The touchscreen is superior and the resolution is great. Its got a 3 megapixel camera with a LED flash. The web speed is crazy, 3G EVDO Rev A, or WIFI, or 4G ready (already available in some markets). The youtube is super clear, and when in areas of full service it doesn't skip at all. It has Microsoft exchange email with direct push, the app catalog is built in, it backs up daily to your palm online profile (handy if lost, can also be wiped remotley online). It uses synergy to integrate your e-mail, calender and facebook friends pix to your address book. It easy to use and overall its just a cool phone to play with, I got one for my girlfriend and I'm always using it. I had a Palm Treo Pro before my Tour so I'm used to the keyboad, doesn't bother me at all. The battery does drain pretty quickly during data intensive use, but its kept on the charing dock most of the time anyway. Have had zero problems with it, guess it was built on a good day. I'm getting one when I qualify for the $150 rebate. I have no complaits with my Tour (Sprints best blackberry).... but the PRE is just a cooler phone.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #34
Tragic

Model: EVO

I know most the users on this forum are die hard blackberry users, but if you're looking into something other than BB this is the phone that would be worth trying. Most of the complaints I've seen are minor and are usually because of personal preference.

Last edited by Tragic; 08-29-2009 at 10:20 AM..
Old 08-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #35
Mattywalnuts
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
I know most the users on this forum are die hard blackberry users, but if you're looking into something other than BB this is the phone that would be worth trying. Most of the complaints I've seen are minor and are usually because of personal preference.
If only Verizon would release my phone numbers before Monday so I can try out the new phones. I'm glad to see the positive review you had for the Pre. I love my BB, but I'm jonesing for a new phone and of course have 30 days to try it out. Either way by switching to Sprint and saving tons of money.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #36
Mattywalnuts
Thumbs Must Hurt

So, I'm back after 10 days. Just returned the two Pres and reactivated my two VZ lines. I would of gladly stayed with Sprint and waited for the Hero, but I went out to the East End of Long Island, an area where I go at least twice a month and there was literally ZERO service. In Nassau County and NYC, Sprint works comparably to Verizon, but not out east. I was getting the unlimited everything family plan for $97+taxes with my corporate discount and it kills me to go back to paying $140+.

So to the Pre: It's small, looks great, and is actually pretty easy to type on (i'm 6' 1'' with decent size hands). I had my Outlook Exchange Email working and although not as easy to operate as a trackball (you can't highlight multiple emails for deletion), the touchscreen had zero lag and worked flawlessly. Things I didn't like, no apps, no sound profiles, copy/paste fuction is terrible. Also, I just got the feeling that the hinge which allowed the device to open was going to go at any point. Oh yeah, battery is beyond laughable despite what other say about ways to retain power. My wife didn't like the phone at all, it looked nice to her but she felt that you had to be fragile with it, which I concur...my 8830 is as solid as a brick.

I'm patiently waiting for Storm 2...my phone journey continues.

Closed Thread