Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND
Default Reel Portal on App World

Please Login to Remove!

Hey, trying out a new Vchat app called ReelPortal (Free on app World)

Supports multi video chat, and seem to be pretty cool. Check it out.

No Firewall errors so far either....lol

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 05-05-2011 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: PS
Old 05-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
SBurhani
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Re: Reel Portal on App World

nice. very nice.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
ZombieBerry

Yeah, you can all meet in the same room. On the login screen just choose a nick and call your room Playbook or something. Then you can let others know the room name and well, it's sort of like a flinstones version of irc meets video. Audio is a little buggy though. Testing out a variety of headphones. I did test video with 2 people at the same time. Again though, spot of trouble with audio. I like that you can choose your framerate. You can also degrade and enhance your video quality. That's about all I know right now. Still playing!!

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 05-05-2011 at 12:55 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
reelportal

Model: PB
Carrier: AT&T

hello, i'm the developer of ReelPortal. i know the room-based concept is a little confusing at first. here are some examples on how to use it:

reelportal.blogspot.com/p/how-to-use.html

the audio problem is an Adobe AIR/Flash issue. i had let Adobe know, and they are working to fix it. they have echo cancellation in beta testing on the desktop, so it will come to android/playbook soon i hope. for now, you should use a headset, or bluetooth speakerphone.

btw, if you don't specify a room, you'd see other folks that are not in a room like you (like in a public square). if you specify room, you will only see ppl in that room, and no one outside that room can see you.

i think the video quality adjustments are something unique to ReelPortal. it adjusts whichever video currently in the main (large) window (object-oriented concept):
1) when your webcam is in the main window, the adjustments allow you to adjust the video quality of your webcam which is sent to other ppl. you cannot see this reflected on the window, because you are seeing the unencoded video from the webcam.
2) when someone else's video is in your main window, the adjustments allow you to change their video quality. that is, your app is sending a request to their app to change their webcam quality. why do this? because the higher quality, the higher bandwidth usage. if you have 4 video streams coming in, you may want only the main window to have high quality, and the others in lower quality. you can swap any video to the main window when desired.

i welcome any suggestions for improvement, but it may take sometime to put in, since i'm only working on this in my spare time, after my day job.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
ZombieBerry

Thank-You, appreciate it!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
rcab

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelportal View Post
hello, i'm the developer of ReelPortal. i know the room-based concept is a little confusing at first. here are some examples on how to use it:

reelportal.blogspot.com/p/how-to-use.html

the audio problem is an Adobe AIR/Flash issue. i had let Adobe know, and they are working to fix it. they have echo cancellation in beta testing on the desktop, so it will come to android/playbook soon i hope. for now, you should use a headset, or bluetooth speakerphone.

btw, if you don't specify a room, you'd see other folks that are not in a room like you (like in a public square). if you specify room, you will only see ppl in that room, and no one outside that room can see you.

i think the video quality adjustments are something unique to ReelPortal. it adjusts whichever video currently in the main (large) window (object-oriented concept):
1) when your webcam is in the main window, the adjustments allow you to adjust the video quality of your webcam which is sent to other ppl. you cannot see this reflected on the window, because you are seeing the unencoded video from the webcam.
2) when someone else's video is in your main window, the adjustments allow you to change their video quality. that is, your app is sending a request to their app to change their webcam quality. why do this? because the higher quality, the higher bandwidth usage. if you have 4 video streams coming in, you may want only the main window to have high quality, and the others in lower quality. you can swap any video to the main window when desired.

i welcome any suggestions for improvement, but it may take sometime to put in, since i'm only working on this in my spare time, after my day job.
I found this program and have tested it for a few minutes using my PB talking with my wife and she is using her laptop. Will there be an upgrade in the future that allows people using Apple products (Iphone and or IPad) to use this so that we can chat while I use your program on my PlayBook? My children are all "in to " the Apple products and I am the lone Blackberry person in the family.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
darkmanCANADA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
PIN: ask me
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I am having a problem with Reel Portal. When my kids are at home and connecting to my designated room they can see and hear me but me on my Playbook I can hear them but only see video of myself. How can I change it to be able to see them?
Old 06-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
ZombieBerry

Select, deselect the button on the bottom.

Button #10 and then choose 'Hide'
Old 06-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
reelportal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcab View Post
I found this program and have tested it for a few minutes using my PB talking with my wife and she is using her laptop. Will there be an upgrade in the future that allows people using Apple products (Iphone and or IPad) to use this so that we can chat while I use your program on my PlayBook? My children are all "in to " the Apple products and I am the lone Blackberry person in the family.
Yes, the iOS version is being beta tested currently. It should be available in late July (if not earlier).
Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
reelportal

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmanCANADA View Post
I am having a problem with Reel Portal. When my kids are at home and connecting to my designated room they can see and hear me but me on my Playbook I can hear them but only see video of myself. How can I change it to be able to see them?
Just to clarify what Zoombie said, if you can't see them, ask them to turn on their webcam via button 10 (make sure it's green).
Old 06-24-2011, 06:13 AM   #11
SVX90
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 220444c4
Carrier: Etisalat

How can I download this app? Its not available in my app world.

cheers
Old 06-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
ZombieBerry

Etisalat? UAE? If so, then no dice, you may have some luck searching for the .BAR file for ReelPortal or do a Google search for "Searching For Humans" I do know they had released their .BAR file awhile back.

Another choice would be to connect to app world via a proxy.

Hope you find it.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
reelportal

Now you can download the .bar file here

reelportal.blogspot.com/p/download.html

Scroll to item 4. And follow the instructions on sideloading on the Playbook.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
SVX90
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 220444c4
Carrier: Etisalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelportal View Post
Now you can download the .bar file here

reelportal.blogspot.com/p/download.html

Scroll to item 4. And follow the instructions on sideloading on the Playbook.
Thanks

Last edited by SVX90; 06-25-2011 at 11:41 AM..
Old 07-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #15
reelportal

Just to let you know, ReelPortal is now on iTunes App Store for U.S. and Canada market. I will expand to other markets if the server can handle it.
Closed Thread