BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Tri-Tip
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon
Default For those of you using Verizon Access Manager with a Tour...

Please Login to Remove!

You have to upgrade to Version 7.x!!!

Verison 6.9.x does not work properly with the tour. Trust me, I spent too many hours trying. When you run the Wizard under version 6.9.x it offers to look for a newer version of the software, but says that 6.9.x is the current version.

You need to go to VZAccess Manager and download it.

Verizon 7.x has a nice new look. I just hit 1.4MB download speed on the Tour.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Scott8586
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30bed4bd

Hmm... I used VZAccess Manager 6.9.0 (2130b) with my new 9630/Tour just today - worked great! Maybe your re/over-install corrected a latent problem with the previous install?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:23 AM   #3
rmbiv1

Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T
Default ATT vs Verizon (Bold vs Tour)

I recently switched from ATT to Verizon and was using a Bold and now a Tour. A couple of things I see that are different with service providers and need some input from others.

1. ATT Bold allowed e-mails to be received while on the phone and while on the Tour it does not work. I called Customer Service and was advised from a person that answered they did not know why but it may be a contract issue between Blackberry and Verizon.

2. In the Blackberry booklet it states that the signal strength indicator will show if you are in "3G". While on ATT I regularly had "3G" service. Now that I am on Verizon, they (Customer Service) states I am on a 3G Platform, but the phone only shows 1XEV. Can someone explain why this occurs?

If this is a contract issue between Verizon, ATT and Blackberry how could Verizon promote all those people standing by me on my phone when two simple things are so different from ATT? Since I purchased this phone, I am still waiting for all those people to show up !!!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #4
rajones19
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

I also had problems with VZ Access Manager once I got the Tour. It would not confirm it was connected, although it behaved as though it was, but it would not disconnect completely. I used the Help menu to check for updates, but it said there were none. I Googled 'Smithmicro vzaccess manager' and got a whole new update page. This provided me with version 7.0.4.4, which has a whole new look with a statistics/transmit/receive tab, and seems to work a LOT better. Not sure it's quicker, but it seems to be. Speed tests are all over the map minute to minute, so who knows. Worth the upgrade, though.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
audiofx

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbiv1 View Post
I recently switched from ATT to Verizon and was using a Bold and now a Tour. A couple of things I see that are different with service providers and need some input from others.

1. ATT Bold allowed e-mails to be received while on the phone and while on the Tour it does not work. I called Customer Service and was advised from a person that answered they did not know why but it may be a contract issue between Blackberry and Verizon.

2. In the Blackberry booklet it states that the signal strength indicator will show if you are in "3G". While on ATT I regularly had "3G" service. Now that I am on Verizon, they (Customer Service) states I am on a 3G Platform, but the phone only shows 1XEV. Can someone explain why this occurs?

If this is a contract issue between Verizon, ATT and Blackberry how could Verizon promote all those people standing by me on my phone when two simple things are so different from ATT? Since I purchased this phone, I am still waiting for all those people to show up !!!!!

3G is the indicator for AT&T's GSM 3G signal. The 1XEV is EvDO which is CDMA (verizon) 3G so you are on 3G. CDMA is currently not capable of doing voice and data at the same time. I do miss that as I came from att to verizon for the tour as verizon has the best service in my area but i may go back.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
coffee-turtle

PIN: 8675309 - hi Jenny
Carrier: VZW
Default VZ Access Manager for Tour 9630 - Version 7.0.4

BlackBerry 7130e, 7250, 8230, 8703e, 8830, 8330 ("Curve"), 8130 ("Pearl"), 9530 ("Storm"), 9630 ("Tour") - Version 7.0.4 (2323c)

VZ Access Manager

Last edited by coffee-turtle; 08-06-2009 at 07:10 AM..
Old 08-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
Scott8586

PIN: 30bed4bd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbiv1 View Post

2) 1XEV implies EVDO and EVDO is third generation CDMA technology - the Tour does EVDO Rev A. (up to 1.4Mb/s down) The handset is showing the right thing (it doesn't show "3G", only D, 1X, or 1XEV).

1) I have never received e-mail or other data while in modem mode on a CDMA phone, I figured it was a CDMA thing, possibly related to the fact that you cannot simultaneously get DATA and VOICE on a EVDO handset. When Verizon implements LTE, and we start getting LTE handsets, the behavior should change back to what you saw with ATT.
Closed Thread