Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
Jumpin_Joe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default How To Delete Pre-Loaded Video?

Please Login to Remove!

Preloaded on my new 8100 in a folder called "Device Memory/samples/videos, I find a 2.12MB video named "BlackBerry.avi".

I've read through the manual, searched Media Manager, and searched through this forum - but I cannot figure out a way to delete this file.

On the device's help, it states "You can only delete media files that you have added". If this is true, RIM is wasting 2MB of my BB's memory

Any ideas?
Old 09-17-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
kneyens
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Real easy.

Under settings go to advanced
Open applications
Scroll down to the preloaded media
Click he applications button and choose delete.

If you find for some reason that you want to reload it you can get the application software from the t-mob site and when you open the application loader from BB Desktop it will show as unistalled.

This is also an option to uninstall it, but takes more time unless you already have the application software downloaded and installed.

(You can find the software on the t-mob site under support choose the pearl and there should be a link there for software)
Old 09-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
Jumpin_Joe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks! That did the trick.

I now have gained that 2MB back and my "File Free" shows 28M

'Preciate the quick response!
Old 09-17-2006, 09:19 PM   #4
casmer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT

I also noticed this video as an option in the Application Loader in the Desktop Manager. YOu can install/uninstall the video from there as well. I shoudl say this is with the handheld software installed.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
plakius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon

what about preloaded ringtones?
Old 09-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
berry24

Model: 8100

i deleted the video and it still shows up in the folder, it doesn't play but the file name is still there. and i couldn't even delete the sample song.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #7
j_simon

Model: 8520
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakius
I would like to know this also!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
lackofaim
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: t-mo

I noticed today when I upgraded my 8100 that the Sample Movie was an option to install.. maybe you can remove it using Desktop Software.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

yes during my upgrade today i opted not to install the sample movie so I unchecked it . along with the oz instant messenger.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:13 PM   #10
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

like its posted above the sample video will not go away it still shows under the video folder just. It will not play and has bin deleted but its file still is there! I tried to delete OZ also from my BB i used DM and deleted it then i deleted the module and the service book. When I reregistered with the network it was pushed back into my handheld from Tmo!! they suck!! SO i guess there is no way to get rid of it, it will always be pushed back to your BB
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 09-28-2006, 08:21 PM   #11
odnerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile

I reinstalled it after the new firmware update and I get a java error when trying to play it...
Old 05-11-2007, 01:13 AM   #12
carl rifkind
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800C
Carrier: Cingular, the new AT&T

anyone know how to grab this file from a pc?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:21 AM   #13
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Rogers

Can't, it's incorporated into the software
Old 05-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #14
MegaMan X
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Wifi Curve
Carrier: T-Mobile™ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakius View Post
Quote:
I've posted this in other threads, but it seems especially appropriate here. Plus, I've received a few PMs asking for help with this.

Mods break it into its own thread if you feel its deserving:

You can significantly increase the available memory by uninstalling various things from the Pearl. When I restart my Pearl, I have about 43 MB free, and I have 9 third party apps installed: Googletalk, Googlemaps, newsclip, spider solitaire, freecell, klondike, operamini, quickplayer, and RSAsecuretoken.

It's best to do this when upgrading the device to a new OS. For example, if you delete preloaded pictures (see step 5, below), they still show up as 0k files in the pictured folder. If you delete them when you reinstall the entire OS, they won't.

Not all of these steps need be followed, picking and choosing will work too. Where I say to delete a file below, it's probably better just to copy it into a new folder so that you can restore it if necessary. Whenever you want to implement the changes, simply run the apploader.

Back up your device first

(1) If you have a media card, go into the options in the media app and change "reserved pictures memory" to 0M. Even if you don't have a card, consider lowering the number to conserve memory. Savings = up to 10 MB.

(2) Delete the unnecessary language files. You can do it through options> advanced>applications, but the better, cleaner way to do it is through the apploader. When a new OS is installed on the PC (not the device) the .cod files are contained in the java folder at (for OS .69) program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/8100-v4.2.0.69_P2.2.0.40.

There are approx. 400 files, if you only want english, delete any file with the following at the end of the file name: __pt, __pt_BR, __fr, __it, __de, __nl, __en_GB, __es, __es_MX, __ca, and __tr. Also delete all files with dynamic_ling (except for the English files). For os .69 there are a total of 186 language files totaling 12.4 MB that can be deleted in this manner. Plus, delete the .cod files for korean and semitic language support.

(3) Delete the .cod files with any themes (net_rim_theme_...) you don't use. BUT DO NOT DELETE THE ZEN THEME. By deleting the Cingular theme and the dimension icon theme I saved another MB.

(4) Delete the preloaded video, by deleting the .cod file: net_rim_bb_medialoader_video.cod. Savings = 2.4 MB.

(5) Delete the preloaded pictures by deleting the files: net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b.cod and net_rim_bb_media_100_240x260.cod. Savings = 3.5 MB.

(6) Delete the preloaded ringtones by deleting the file: net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes8700g.c od. Savings = 280k.

Total memory savings is about 30MB. If you don't use PTT on Cingular, delete those .cod files as well (they say ptt in them). If you don't play brickbreaker delete it. If you don't use the maps application delete it.

Keep in mind, however, that some strange things can happen when certain apps are deleted. For example, I deleted the memo pad and tasks on my 7130 and BBcorrector wouldn't work. It's probably best to follow these steps one at a time, so that you'll know which step to undo if a problem arises. Obviously, by messing with the OS files, you could turn your device into a nice Christmas tree ornament, and I take no responsibility if you do that. In discovering all of these steps, I bricked my device twice. However, I simply undid my previous step (i.e., restore some .cod files) reran the apploader and everything turned out fine.
follow these instructions to the word
Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #15
nilslam

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Exclamation Remove 0K file name from the media browser

Just reboot the device by taking the battery out, wait 10 sec, and then put the battery back in. After that the file name and the forlder preloaded video disappeared in the media Application:

Here are the complete steps to remove the sample movie from the BB 8800:

1) Go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications. Push on Blackberry sample video. Push the menu button and choose delete.

2) Reboot the device (see above).

Voiala...
Closed Thread