Pterocarpous
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Question Odd Issue w/ Pause Dialing

Please Login to Remove!

Hello All,

I'm attempting to set up contacts w/ phone no.'s that include pause. Oddly, the BB dialer is executing the pause 1st - then dialing the no.

I changed the Pause to a Wait. Using Wait, the prompt to enter the extension pops up immediately b4 dialing (just as the pause was executed 1st b4 dialing). It does wait and enter the extension when I'm ready. However, I'm unable to put the phone on speaker until I get rid of the wait window by letting it enter the extension or otherwise closing the window.

Is there a way to get the pause function to work properly?

(800)555-5555P1234
This didn't work as the dialer executed the pause 1st then dialed the no. - forcing me to enter the extension manually.

(800)555-5555W1234
This works, however, the wait window pops up b4 dialing is initiated.

Thank you in advance for any help folks can offer.

BB 9650, OS 6

You cannot shake hands with a clinched fist.
- Indira Gandhi

Last edited by Pterocarpous; 04-20-2011 at 05:22 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Odd Issue w/ Pause Dialing

For what it's worth, I had a colleague with a similar problem. It was a Verizan BlackBerry, but an older model. I did everything, looked at everything, and we couldn't figure it out. I think in his case the phone was just not even recognizing the pause. Even an OS reinstall didn't fix the problem.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Pterocarpous

Thank you, Ira.

Well, that' disconcerting. Criminey. As it happens, mine is a Verizon BB as well. It's executing the pause - just at the wrong time. For some inexplicable reason, it executes the pause before the no. to be dialed - effectively changing the order of the execution string. It's beyond me at this moment why on earth it's doing that. It treats the WAIT the same way - however, the intent of WAIT is to do just that so I'm getting away w/ using it as a work around.

- Indira Gandhi

Last edited by Pterocarpous; 04-20-2011 at 05:28 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Joan, did you try entering multiple Ps?

Not sure if it will make a difference, but maybe it will cause the pauses to be recognized in the proper order.

Worth a shot, but no promises. it works on my 9630, but I didn't have an issue to start with.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Pterocarpous

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post
Joan, did you try entering multiple Ps?...
Great idea, ST! I think I was misinterpreting what I was seeing. My having entered too short a pause was apparently the issue. I tested entering 3 p's and it appears to have worked. It's a bit confusing that the BB dialer displays the window stating PAUSING FOR X SECONDS at the same time it begins dialing. I took that to mean that the pause was being executed @ that time - b4 the no. was dialed. The real issue was I didn't have a long enough pause.

I'll be testing this out on some business calls while in the field tomorrow. I'll post back if the issue persists.

I'm still familiarizing myself w/ my new BB. It's terrific that this forum and so many other BB resources exist. Ea. day I have this phone, I know I made the right decision to finally give up my "dumb" phone days and join the 21st century w/ a BB Bold 9650.

Thank you again for being such a great resource and newbie friendly! It's wonderfully refreshing in this day and age.

- Indira Gandhi

Last edited by Pterocarpous; 04-20-2011 at 07:54 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

That's good. I wish I had suggested experimentation. We did on my friend's BlackBerry and still never solved it. But glad you got yours working right.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 04-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #7
Pterocarpous

Not at all, Ira. I appreciate greatly your input.

I've counted my chickens 'fore they've hatched. Won't know for sure if this worked 'till I make those calls I've programmed w/ pauses today. Couldn't test last night.

I'm hopin' mine isn't the same issue as your friend's. I was thinkin' this is a OS6 bug b4 ST's suggestion. We'll see. I'll post back w/ results.

Thank you again.

- Indira Gandhi
Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterocarpous View Post
I'll be testing this out on some business calls while in the field tomorrow. I'll post back if the issue persists.
I hope it does solve it for you. Post back in either case, not just if it doesn't work.....
Old 04-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
Pterocarpous

Thank you, ST

Well, here's the skinny. Pause dialing works - sort of.....

I used it a no. of times today - calling the same no. & extension

I learned the Pause count down begins at the same time the no. is dialed - NOT when the call is answered on the other end.

Pretty poor design as one never knows how many rings there'll be b4 the call is answered and the OGM begins.

There were a no. of times the dialer entered the extension w/in just a few seconds of dialing - b4 the call was answered.

Other times, the extension was entered at a different time during the OGM for ea. phone call.

I believe the quality of reception may have played a roll

I also believe the inconsistency can be attributed to the countdown being handled locally (on the phone by the BB dialer) while the calling is handled remotely by the carrier.

The dialer starts counting at the same time it starts dialing while the carrier will take varying lengths of time to execute the connection - depending upon signal strength.

Doesn't make sense to me but that appears to be how the BB dialer (OS6) functions - it's either buggy or poorly designed...

BTW, I had FIVE pauses (P's) entered b4 the extension and STILL the dialer entered the extension b4 the call was answered on several instances.

So, it's dooable - using the Pause - but it (the BB dialer) is poorly designed in its execution of it.

I'm gonna start looking for an alternative dialer. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

- Indira Gandhi

Last edited by Pterocarpous; 04-21-2011 at 06:13 PM..
Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I don't have any insight into why it was designed to work the way it does. But you are right. You'll have to test fix test fix each time you program and new number, to find the ideal number of pauses.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 04-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
Pterocarpous

Thank you, AH. Problem is, b/c there are two unpredictable variables; (1) how long b4 a given call is answered (2) how long b4 an extension and/or options(s) need 2b entered AFTER the call is answered; there's really no way to "fix" a pre-configured dial.

It's beyond me why BB programmers would code the dialer to start counting down for Pause at the time the no. is dialed rather than when the call is answered. It's illogical. Consequently, for all intents and purposes, the BB OS6 dialer's Pause option is, at best, unreliable.

Until I can find another app' to replace the BB dialer, I'll be forced to use the Wait option rather than Pause. If anyone has any recomendations for an alternative to the BB dialer, I'd be greatful to hear them.

Thank you to all who contributed. Of course, further contributions are most welcome.

- Indira Gandhi

Last edited by Pterocarpous; 04-22-2011 at 09:19 PM..
Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Understand. My experience has been that while those parameters vary from number to number (say my voicemail compared to a teleconference line), the parameters are consistent for a given number each time it is dialed. That has been what I have found, anyway.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
Pterocarpous

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Understand. My experience has been that while those parameters vary from number to number (say my voicemail compared to a teleconference line), the parameters are consistent for a given number each time it is dialed. That has been what I have found, anyway.
That is what I would expect as well. But when I tried it out from a job site last week - having to call in to the same no. & extension at various intervals - it was not consistent at all. At times, the extension would be released b4 the call was even answered, others the BB dialer would release the extension 1 or 2 seconds into the call. This was using the same pre-configured no. out of my contacts. I had 5 pauses set and that was barely enough and still, at times, not enough.

I can only surmise that it's counting down b4 the call is even answered. If that is correct, with that variable, all bets are off for a configuration that's going to be consistent.

- Indira Gandhi
Closed Thread