Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
SarahSerenade

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default "Click" Problem

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I have a BlackBerry Pearl (8100) and it recently stopped functioning correctly. Everything on the phone to my awareness still works except the clicking or select feature. It is not the trackball that quit working, I have tested other trackballs in my phone with no success. I have tried to clean it out and that hasn't solved anything.
I believe the issue is the bronze piece under the ball. There is the possibility it got wet-- but even so it should have dried out by now [its been three weeks]. I pulled out the bronze piece to see if it was dirty underneath but I fear removing it was a mistake. The metal disc on the bronze tape fell off and i lost the tape and replaced the bronze with regular tape to keep it secured back in its spot on the contact board.
I use AT&T with this phone and it is obviously unlocked because of this. Should I take it to a local wireless store to see if they can replace the bronze tape and the metal disc?
Do any of you have suggestions?

-Many thanks, Sarah
Old 04-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

If you have a local repair shop you know, you could contact them and describe the problem and see what they advise. Perhaps they can give you a ball park estimate. There is at least one forum sponsor that does repairs. Maybe at least you can get enough info to make a decision on your way ahead.

Are you really dedicated to the 8100? Sounds to me like a good excuse to get a new blackberry, at least a newer blackberry. But that's me.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
SarahSerenade

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Well my parents aren't dedicated to buying me a new phone, but thank you for your input.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Check the buy/sell forum here at blackberry forums. Also see the article http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Buying_a_BlackBerry_off_eBay. The article title says ebay, the info applies to any secondhand purchase. I would guess you could buy another blackberry of equal value to what you had or better for what it would cost to pay someone to fix the 8100.

Good luck!