Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default iPhone's disappointment an upside for Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

Quote:
Slowing Demand

CIBC World Markets said demand for the iPhone has had a ``significant decline'' in the past 10 days and that Apple and AT&T may try to boost demand by increasing their marketing efforts.

``We have noticed decent inventories at stores, and thin demand at best,'' analyst Ittai Kidron wrote in a note. ``Among the stores we visited, most visitors were not looking at the device, and only a very small subset bought it.''

CIBC's Kidron also wrote that the iPhone, which he initially viewed as a negative for Research In Motion Ltd., the maker of the BlackBerry smartphone, may instead be a positive.

``The iPhone has significantly increased awareness for e- mail devices,'' Kidron wrote. That's ``positive mainly for RIM, the brand of choice for e-mail devices.''

Kidron, who is based in New York, rates Research In Motion at ``sector perform.'' He does not cover Apple.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
moosehead
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
PIN: tucked behind a bunker
Carrier: AT&T

Nice.....I was playing with one over the weekend and couldn't even type my full name with that keyboard.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

TheStreet claims that according to "people close to the companies", Apple receives between a $150-$200 bounty per iPhone plus $9 a month over the life of the 2 year contract.

It was reported that AT&T had seen 146,000 activations over the first 48 hours. They reported those numbers for their quarterly report. Apple reports their quarterly earnings tomorrow and it will be interesting to see.

Jim Basille of RIM even said before release that the iphone was good for the industry. Anything that brings people to buy smartphones / pdas is good for the long term growth of the industry.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

Is it some shock that the sales would have a significant decline after the got to have it now crowd bought one?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Like the article said, I hope it does make more people aware of these types of devices. I have had several friends of mine inquire about BlackBerries since the iPhone dropped. One of my girls is looking at the Pearl tonight.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:34 AM   #6
bigjoe

Model: 8700G
Carrier: T-Mobile
Thumbs down

I agree with what your are saying as well
Quote:
Yesterday 03:22 PM
BB8100user
Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

The iPhone has significantly increased awareness for e- mail devices,'' Kidron wrote. That's ``positive mainly for RIM, the brand of choice for e-mail devices.''
I work for one of the largest telecommunications providers in the US and we have seen a rise in issues with our email not working correctly on the iPhone. We have no known issues with other carriers and equipment such as T-mobile, Sprint, and Verizon. Our corporate choice is the BlackBerry. We would use nothing else than something we know is able to handle our demand and deliver
consistently.

This may be coincidence, but I am calling the facts. I think there was a lot of hype on a decent device that still needs some research and development on their dime not ours. I am all for something new and awesome that will do everything but most of all I want it to work. Especially if it costs me two years of my life and $500 for the phone. Thats like being married and not getting any....know where I am coming from?...anyways were still getting screwed either way...
Old 07-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
bigjay8510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
Nice.....I was playing with one over the weekend and couldn't even type my full name with that keyboard.
that was my complaint, but everyone i knows that has one does not complain about the keyboard. they also type with one finger. not very efficient.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:04 PM   #8
MiaImolaZHP
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

My iPhone is going back tomorrow. Email is not reliable at all. Also the EDGE connectivity is worse than my Curve. I do miss the user interface and I even liked the auto-correcting keyboard. I'll look at version 2.0. No sense in being Apple's lab rat on this one.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:49 PM   #9
Figment
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: TMO

Spending more $$$$$$$$$$$ on marketing, just lower the price! It's their loss either way...
Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 PM   #10
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Oh God, here we go with the anti-iPhone stuff. Consumers are not going to choose a BB over an iPhone. Anyone not using their phone for business, the only reason they'd select BB over an iPhone is the cost of an iPhone which I agree is ridiculously high. Once Apple fixes some software issues like MMS, iChat, etc iand lowers their price, t's not even going to be close between the two devices in the consumer market. Hell, I'm almost certain I'm switching over the moment a 3G version is available and I love my BB.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:24 AM   #11
harsaphes1

Model: 8700
Carrier: att

no one i know types on their IPHONE with one finger...we are all using two fingers, just like we did on our blackberry. I have had NO email problems at all, set it up and it worked. Yahoo "push" works great. I have sent test messages over and over from my desktop to my personal email account, and it shows instantly on my IPHONE yahoo mail, so no problem for me there. PS im not an Apple fan boy, i have three pcs at home
Old 08-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #12
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsaphes1 View Post
no one i know types on their IPHONE with one finger...we are all using two fingers, just like we did on our blackberry. I have had NO email problems at all, set it up and it worked. Yahoo "push" works great. I have sent test messages over and over from my desktop to my personal email account, and it shows instantly on my IPHONE yahoo mail, so no problem for me there. PS im not an Apple fan boy, i have three pcs at home
how often do you find yourself cleaning your screen? i know that just using the phone smudges the screen because the screen is touching the side of your face. besides that, with the iPhone, now you are physically touching the screen.

does the screen work with a stylus (pressure sensitive) or is it heat sensitive (like laptop touch pads, and iPods)?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

to the OP I think the RIM stock chart answers the questions:

Bloomberg.com: Investment Tools

Look at the beginning of July.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #14
pangelpip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300c
Carrier: Cingular (the new AT&T)
Smile

I was playing with one and I would never be able to get use to that keyboard. I think it was given way to much of a hype and left a lot of people dissappointed. I would never buy one and besides I am too hooked on my BB
Old 08-03-2007, 07:40 PM   #15
No Longer Registered.

iPhone is a disappointment to me too, as a seller. I got so much accessories for this gadget that it isn't even funny. I practically threw accessories together at the same price just to get rid of it, and still nobody is picking them up And these accessories are not even cheap, the price on skin per piece is about 2x the price of BB's skin

Old 08-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #16
harsaphes

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmobil

honestly for me the iphone is great, i text all day long on it and have gotten quite good, i made mistakes on the BB and i do here also....it did take about a week to get going on the keyboard, and i would love to have raised keys, but its not enough to keep me from using it. The screen does get smudgey, but no biggie, i mean, you wipe it off..lol....I dont know where everyone else lives, but i live in NYC and work in a super busy service industry, where r clients have money. I have to say, more and more clients are turning up using them, they might also have their blackberry or another phone with them, but they have bought an iphone. I dont think anyone really believes this is a bb killer..but is it suppose to be?...its just another device in a long list of devices that have come along.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #17
dd26

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsaphes View Post
honestly for me the iphone is great, i text all day long on it and have gotten quite good, i made mistakes on the BB and i do here also....it did take about a week to get going on the keyboard, and i would love to have raised keys, but its not enough to keep me from using it. The screen does get smudgey, but no biggie, i mean, you wipe it off..lol....I dont know where everyone else lives, but i live in NYC and work in a super busy service industry, where r clients have money. I have to say, more and more clients are turning up using them, they might also have their blackberry or another phone with them, but they have bought an iphone. I dont think anyone really believes this is a bb killer..but is it suppose to be?...its just another device in a long list of devices that have come along.
The IPhone will probably get Research In Motion to produce something similar. Competition is always good.

My take on this is that the real edge for the BlackBerry is that it is open, while everything on the IPhone has to go through Apple. That's why the PC still rules over the Mac.

Rumors are that Google will buy Apple, and then things will become really interesting. They have completely different philosophies in terms of openness.

Just my opinion
Old 08-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #18
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Spending more $$$$$$$$$$$ on marketing, just lower the price! It's their loss either way...
i second that. slash the prces in half then you csn sell mor to teens who ar the apple cults followers. that an you don't get a discount dor signing the 2 year. marketing won't work ive seen the cable channels flooded with ibrick comercials. heck no college kid or high school brat has one. cause ther too fracking expesive!. thers no point in throwing more money into marketing.

no if you sold an ibrick with a removable battery an upgradeable memory youd have somthing

not this embedded ituned driven disposable razr.

here's a thogh i have yet to see a smartphone that lets you upgrade individual hardware components like a pc.

think about it pop the case off slap in newer processor video display an vid chip
upgrade the flash memory
pop in a slot for a camera or a gps or both fm tuner. you buy som default setup an spend the money on modular upgrades and sell it as unlocked..

Last edited by Galvatron; 08-04-2007 at 12:52 PM..
Old 08-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #19
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F

Bugs, bad battery, batter replacement cost, typing... and the list goes on

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 08-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #20
test54
BlackBerry Master

Gal you have no concept of the mobile phone market. they will never make interchangeable parts for phones. They want you to buy one every few years not be able to upgrade them, think about it...also your point about high scholl brats buying iphones, go look in the Pearl forum and see what you think, and when they come out with the multicolor pearls, watch the whole demographic shift, the -how do i surf without a data plan?- question will be a frequent one here.

and Apple has never - cut their prices to sell more - they never have and never will, and I think they have done pretty well with that in the past.

As for the criticisms of the phone, nothing is perfect, especially at launch. just look through these forums to see all the problems people have with BB and how long have RIM been at it?

I have borrowed my buddies iphone quite a bit recently as Im looking at replacing my 8800, and after a few hours the typing is fine for my needs.
I have a 3 year old ipod that has not needed any battery replacement and I dont feel like i need any phone to last over 2 years so i have no problems there. If the battery goes bad in the first year they pay for it so again no problem.

no device is perfect but if i can find one that better suits my needs then i will.