Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:54 PM   #21
Oxxy^Moron
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 950
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

BBC World News said that iPhone sales in a year is equivalent to NOKIA's sale in a month. To me, that is not something to be proud of -- especially not in Asia. If they want to compete, they should do something totally different than what RIM has already perfected. Probably they need to rethink their strategies and start creating devices that supports dual SIMs, for example. You cant compete in this hi-tech world by copying the masters. I'd say, Apple needs to eat some more apples before they can compete.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #22
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

You need to take a class in economics. You cannot compare Nokia to Apple, no more than you can compare Nokia to RIM. They are entirely different companies with different sale revenue goals. Nokia is by far the biggest player in the world, they sell more units for a reason, the reason is that they want to sell more units.
You don't see RIM trying to sell 100 million phones per year nor will you see Apple.

Apple has stated their sales goals and they look like they will meet them. They have other arms of their company that are booming. You analogy is like saying that Ferrari needs to rethink their sales philosophy because Toyota is selling more cars, doesn't that sound crazy?
AAPL made over a billion in profit for the last quarter, they are doing just fine. No need to "eat some more apples" to compete, their only competition really is themselves, their phones will sell as long as they keep the thing going (and fix a couple bugs).

Also, you might look at MS now saying they are going to use Apple product model to change their approach to devices. They want to control the whole experience, same as Apple has been doing for years, so "copying of the master" is done all the time.

"Apple: In the competition between PCs and Macs, we outsell Apple 30-to-1. But there is no doubt that Apple is thriving. Why? Because they are good at providing an experience that is narrow but complete, while our commitment to choice often comes with some compromises to the end-to-end experience. Today, wexxx8217;re changing the way we work with hardware vendors to ensure that we can provide complete experiences with absolutely no compromises. Wexxx8217;ll do the same with phonesxxx8212;providing choice as we work to create great end-to-end experiences." - Steve Ballmer

Last edited by test54; 07-26-2008 at 04:10 PM..
Old 07-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #23
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted

Uh, your ferrari/toyota, apple/nokia analogy is stupid. Toyota doesn't compete in the same potential customer segment. Apple and Nokia do. Maybe you should learn some basic economic theory.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #24
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL

Forgive me if I have it wrong, but I think test was breaking it down to basics - Ferrari/Toyota brands are both for cars, as Apple/Nokia are both for phones. Though I understand the importance of the difference in customers, since not everyone can go out and buy a Ferrari - I know I sure can't.

Last edited by rachamphetamine; 07-26-2008 at 05:22 PM..
Old 07-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #25
test54
BlackBerry Master

Look at the average price of a Nokia device sold in the world, its going to be very very cheap. thats my point.
kjjb, toyota competes as much with ferrari as apple does with nokia. perhaps mercedes and ferrari would have been better.

fyi:NOKIA - The company sold 122 million phones in the second quarter for an average price of $117 each. Analysts had expected about Nokia to sell about 120 million phones at a $120 a piece.

Last edited by test54; 07-26-2008 at 08:16 PM..
Old 07-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #26
Oxxy^Moron
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 950
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Hey Testy, I think you are missing what I posted (which you obviously did). It is to point out, that in order to compete with RIM, you have to think outside the box. Meaning, you need to capture new market -- the "mainstream". Obviously, RIM captured the business side where users are mostly professionals. But rethinking and recognizing that in this modern world, to compete with what they already accomplished successfully, Apple need to re-rethink their strategies. That is to do something better than what they already think is "good". You can't beat RIM by being just "good". To capture more users, incorporate what people want and study their future needs -- not sell the brand. If people are buying iPhone because it is an "iPhone" and because is it "Apple" -- nobody really care. Not all people buy product because of brand especially if something better is available out there. So to compete, study what is already working and what is already moving and make it 100x better.

Last edited by Oxxy^Moron; 07-26-2008 at 08:27 PM..
Old 07-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #27
test54
BlackBerry Master

They are not going after RIM, look at the numbers and what they have said. They are going after customers that want their product. For the most part those people have been Palm & Motorola users. To think that they need to focus on RIM customer is a waste, they know that RIM customers are more or less happy with what they have and RIM only accounts for about 14-16 million people. They will do much better going after the people that want something new, not the people who are happy with what they have.
They are hardly struggling to find people to buy there products, and their marketing is unbeatable just watch the numbers soar.

RIM is going for mainstream with pearl & kickstand, they will do well but they will not sell as many units through this time next year as Apple will. That is the way I see it, so I did not miss your point, more i dismissed it as wrong (in my opinion). They do not need to change their strategy, the only companies that need to do that are Moto & Palm as their numbers are getting taken by Apple.

I regret the comment about taking a class but I do not see anything I agree with n your argument. Their strategy has to be more about unhappy users than RIM.

Last edited by test54; 07-26-2008 at 09:32 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #28
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630

WOW - that's not even clever spam.
Closed Thread