BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
HarlyFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Application Downloads to Memory Card????

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone noticed how little application memory is left after downloading a few applications. Is there a way to download applications to the memory card instead of the device and will they load as quickly from the card if this is a possibility. I would appreciate anyone who can walk me through downloading to the card instead of the device, I need to free up some memory on the app on the device

Addicted To The CRACKBerry!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

You can't install applications to the Media Card.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
HarlyFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

If you can not install apps to the memory card then why is the amount of memory allocated to apps so small compared to the overall memory on the device?

Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
HarlyFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

My application free memory is down to 14.7MB, I need help I have not loaded much up to this point. I'm frustrated because my device memory free space is over 880MB

Old 12-15-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
HarlyFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Can anone else give me an idea of what your free application memory level is?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

My Free App Memory is 21.4MB
Old 12-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
HarlyFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am disappointed that the available app memory is so limited are they any fixes for this problem?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
starwatcher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Rogers
Angry

I thought the OS/Application/working memory of the device was 1GB. How can you be down so low?

Low memory has always been a stupid problem on Blackberry's. Totally limits the number of apps you can install. I thought this problem was solved with the 1GB on the storm. If this is not the case then this is a BIG problem.

On my Pearl I have 64MB. After OS and Apps the memory is always at 22MB after a reboot. As the Pearl has a memory leak, it slowly loses memory so that after about 4-5 days it is down to 10MB free memory and I have to do a battery pull or the phone just displays the hourglass most of the time.

I really hoped that RIM was smart enough to not repeat the same mistake.
Blackberry Storm
Blackberry Pearl
Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
HarlyFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

This is a HUGE problem and RIM has obviosly not addressed this and I really do not have alot of apps loaded yet. This will become a deal breaker. My previous phone was a Treo that I never had memory issues with and I had many more apps loaded on it.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

According to RIM the 9530 only has 128MB of Flash memory for applications. This is up from the 64 of the Pearl and 96 or the Verizon Curve.

I found this information here: BlackBerry Storm - BlackBerry Storm Details - BlackBerry Storm Specifications
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
starwatcher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Question

On that webpage it mentions:
Memory
* Expandable memory support for microSD card
* 1 GB (Onboard memory)
* 128 MB Flash (Flash memory)

What is the 1GB (Onboard memory) used for?
Blackberry Storm
Blackberry Pearl
Old 12-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwatcher View Post
On that webpage it mentions:
Memory
* Expandable memory support for microSD card
* 1 GB (Onboard memory)
* 128 MB Flash (Flash memory)

What is the 1GB (Onboard memory) used for?
You can use it the same as the 8 Gig Flash card that came pre-installed on your storm. It is for music, movies, photos, documents ... But not for installed applications.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #13
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

When I plug my Storm into my Mac ... Both the 1 Gig internal and the 8 Gig Micro SD both mount and appear. I can drag and drop stuff between the two.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
starwatcher
Thumbs Must Hurt

That is too bad that the 1GB is not for apps. It is also too bad that 128 is taken up so quickly. With memory soooo cheap AND the fact that they put an extra 1GB of memory in the Storm, why would they limit its use? And therefore reduce the functionality of the device. I just do not understand.
Blackberry Storm
Blackberry Pearl
Old 12-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
HarlyFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

We need a 3rd party app that will allow the 1gb of on board device memory to be partitioned. 128mb is not realistic for a phone that you need several different apps loaded

Old 01-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #16
marjama
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: verizon

I don't know if this is a smart idea but i erased my blackberry maps from my phone this cleared up a lot of application memory. I have google maps which I like more anyways. If you don't think you will ever get vz naavigator or visual voice mail those are two other ones I'm sure could be deleted to clear up more room.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

I had actually erased bb maps but placed it back because I found out GPs was free with Verizon so I thought I'd use it since its there and use google maps as well.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 AM   #18
webmasterpdx

Lightbulb I'm working on a solution....maybe

However there maybe some gotchas.
I was told by some of the experts (I'm assuming they work for blackberry) incorrect information.

First, I was told that there is 1GB internal RAM (I take that to mean 1GBytes internal RAM not flash). This is incorrect.
I believe now that there is 128MBytes of flash and 876Mbytes of RAM (note that the figures may not be exact due to definitions of M being 1024 or 1000 and maybe not exactly the values involved).
This seems to match what I see in the memory Options on the storm.

I'm assuming that apps and the OS reside in the flash, but RAM is used for running processes, etc.... i.e. when you run an app, it gets loaded into RAM and runs from there (at least partly). Note also that there are 2 types of flash....NOR flash from which you can execute code and NAND flash which is more like a DISK and from which you cannot directly execute code.

Now, I know how to install apps into the SD card (nand flash). Then when someone clicks on the icon shown by running my future app, it'll load the app into internal memory, save it and launch it. Now, if the app can be forced to be stored in RAM, then this isn't a problem. However, if the app is forced to be stored in flash, I can't do it that way as flash has a limited number of times that you can write it....before it no longer works, and setting things up to maximize flash life is very complex (wear-levelling algorithm).

Another approach is to store the apps in SD flash and to load them as run and to "cache" them in the internal flash so the most commonly used apps are stored internally, but will get swapped out when memory runs low. This still suffers from the flash lifecycle problems, but will result in less writes to flash.

Another approach is to let the user manually load apps to the internal flash manually by just selecting them and selecting load. Note there is already a program that already does this from aerize.com.

Note that for what I want to do and for aerize.com's version, you can only install into SD card and swap from there. You CANNOT move apps from internal flash to the SD Card as you don't have access to the code bytes (there is no API to support that).

Now, I'm still confused as I don't know if my idea of what internal memory is made up of is correct or not. I have a post to the developer forum at blackberry.com to determine that. I sure hope I can store an app in RAM. It's already in ram when I load it into the OS, but then I have to save it (it's this save that may store it in flash). If I can run it without the save, then I can bypass the flash.

I hope this clears things up a bit.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:58 AM   #19
webmasterpdx

Default How to make more App space available

First, your blackberry comes with a load of modules that you do not need.
My storm has 4 or 5 IM apps and I never use IM.
You can see how big each app is and their dependencies by opening a bash or MSDOS shell and typing...
javaloader -u dir -d -s

If you redirect this command to a file (>filename in bash) it's best and then edit that file so you can examine the files and dependencies. You'll see module-1, module-2, etc, and these are how large .cod files are broken up into managable chunks (as each code block is supposed to be under 64K).
You'll also see some dependencies being custom too and these are libraries that get loaded with the module.

Be careful what modules you delete.....

Another thing you can use if you have a file manager....my storm came with a sample video blip that is 17M in size.....that can be deleted.

Good luck.
-D
Old 01-31-2009, 06:35 AM   #20
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmasterpdx View Post
First, your blackberry comes with a load of modules that you do not need.
My storm has 4 or 5 IM apps and I never use IM.
You can see how big each app is and their dependencies by opening a bash or MSDOS shell and typing...
javaloader -u dir -d -s

If you redirect this command to a file (>filename in bash) it's best and then edit that file so you can examine the files and dependencies. You'll see module-1, module-2, etc, and these are how large .cod files are broken up into managable chunks (as each code block is supposed to be under 64K).
You'll also see some dependencies being custom too and these are libraries that get loaded with the module.

Be careful what modules you delete.....

Another thing you can use if you have a file manager....my storm came with a sample video blip that is 17M in size.....that can be deleted.

Good luck.
-D
Your phone didn't come with them installed, it came with a link to them. If it came with EVERYTHING installed, it would be so slow and you'd have literally 5 megs free.
Closed Thread