Old 09-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Skinhead

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Unhappy blackberry virgin

Please Login to Remove!

hello everyone!
its my first time using a blackberry and its definitely a very unfamiliar territory for me. I have the Bold and i have a few queries:
1. does it come preloaded with maps? i tried clicking the network navigator software but it always says "network setting error". tried downloading from the website, however it doesnt recognize the handset,ie. wrong version.
2.i bought an unlocked unit, hence the settings have to be manually configured. tried downlaoding from my carrier, but it says it cant configure the fone. are there any guides as to how?
3.i have configured the wifi bit, however i cant configure how to set the 3G bit? how do i get around it?
4. i havent changed the OS version yet...is it a must that i upgrade?
5. bluetooth is playing up as well. it can detect the other device but unable to receive anything
Thanks for ur help!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

1. Do you see BlackBerry Maps loaded as an icon, in a folder, or Options > Advanced > Applications?
2. Tried downloading what from your carrier?
4. Not a must, but many recommend it. See the Latest OS "Attention" sticky note at the top of this 9000 section.
5. Not sure. What is your other device? Earpiece, auto, or what? Another PDA or phone device is not configurable in bluetooth.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Hi Skinhead,

Did you get a Blackberry Plan?

You should not need it for WiFi but for mor ethe rest a plan is really needed.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Skinhead

Carrier: o2

i was trying to connect it my SE K800 to transfer contacts and other stuff. so are you saying it cant be done?
I am under a contract with O2 here in the UK. tried downloading the settings from my carrier however an error always pops up.
there are no maps icon, only the carrier's navigator icon is present, however opening it returns an error msg again.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Last I recall, you can't transfer your contacts via Bluetooth.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinhead View Post
i was trying to connect it my SE K800 to transfer contacts and other stuff. so are you saying it cant be done?
I am under a contract with O2 here in the UK. tried downloading the settings from my carrier however an error always pops up.
there are no maps icon, only the carrier's navigator icon is present, however opening it returns an error msg again.
What is the error message?
Old 09-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

i would try using the switch device wizard on the desktop manager to see if you can transfer contacts over from the SE to the BB
Old 09-15-2008, 02:33 AM   #8
prescottspies
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Orange

If it's just contacts, you could copy them all from your old phone to the sim, then insert the sim into your BB and copy them across. That's what I did, I was surprised to find that the BB Bold I bought on orange contract works with my old 3 sim.

Edit as far as maps are concerned, seems carriers are into the practice of replacing blackberry maps with proprietary software that you have to pay for. Mine came preinstalled with a trial of carphone warehouse's maps software, that seems to have somehow assimilated itself with BB Maps (if I go into the list of installed applications, BB Maps is there, but the mapping icon just takes me into CPW navigator.

There are however plenty of free GPS maps packages out there, google maps just to name one. I would suggest trying a few out to see what fits.

Last edited by prescottspies; 09-15-2008 at 02:35 AM..
Closed Thread