BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
WorldIRC
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Is ATT using different internals then Rogers???

Please Login to Remove!

As posted on Crackberry.com by a user at 4.6.0.147 for the Bold in the Wild - Page 10 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

"A couple of notes.

First off at&t released 4.6.0.147 to device testers on 9/8 and were told not to load it on the devices we had in hand which are the same chipset as the Rogers hw release.

We received new hardware on the afternoon of 9/8 and this was the second time RIM has done a complete hardware swap for device testers. 4.6.0.147 is being called the "new" final release candidate and the shipped devices for at&t will be at least 4.6.0.147.

So if you are using the 4.6.0.147 on the Roger's release Bold their MAY be issues, what I have been told was that the HW changes are related to 3G chips so the new SW may not help you much if you were having 3G issues on .134...."

I find this very interesting...
Old 09-14-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

doubtful....
Old 09-14-2008, 02:26 AM   #3
jimpilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

So the AT&T version may be new and improved, I hope so!
Old 09-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #4
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

i doubt RIM would do that... doesnt make sense... AT&T and Rogers have the same network, why would they replace or use different hardware for AT&T and not Rogers... doesnt make any sense and that would be a POOR business move on RIMs part...
Old 09-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

The boards on these devices have been made for a long time. I am betting it is all software at this point. I am betting the AT&T OS will load up just fine on my Rogers Bold.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
The boards on these devices have been made for a long time. I am betting it is all software at this point. I am betting the AT&T OS will load up just fine on my Rogers Bold.
Good point but why would they tell them not to use the first generation device?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

I would say you can not believe everything you read here.

Take the best and the worst of what you read here and the truth is somewhere in the middle! <vbg>
Old 09-14-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
WorldIRC
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

^Reminds me of university lectures
Old 09-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

^Exactly^

I have sat listening to some of these people that the university thought worthy to teach and been amazed that some of the class does not just bust out and laugh!
Old 09-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
oester
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Different hardware? Reality check here. When's the last time you heard about ANY cell phone vendor shipping different hardware to a carrier? The 9000 hardware has been in production for months.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
holden

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
As posted on Crackberry.com by a user at 4.6.0.147 for the Bold in the Wild - Page 10 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

"A couple of notes.

First off at&t released 4.6.0.147 to device testers on 9/8 and were told not to load it on the devices we had in hand which are the same chipset as the Rogers hw release.

Ok, but the hardware issue is not my words...

This may also be just to maintain the test environment. They probably did this to maintain control with the test users. It could very well be that the hardware is the same. What is different is they way they are conducting the test and controlling the test environment.

H.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #12
DJBoozy

Model: ifone
PIN: no more, Imessage :(
Carrier: Orange UK Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by oester View Post
Different hardware? Reality check here. When's the last time you heard about ANY cell phone vendor shipping different hardware to a carrier? The 9000 hardware has been in production for months.
the only way you'll know for sure, is if you get an ATT Branded BlackBerry and another networks, and strip them down, piece by piece.

maybe one for Kevin over @ Crackberry? ;)
Old 09-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
Outrigger

Model: 8820

Thats just wishful thinking. Do you have any idea how much it would cost RIM just to change the boards? Besides, it doesn't make any financial sense to make the hardware all the same for ALL the rest of the GSM carriers in the world EXCEPT ATT. RIM is in the business of making money and increasing its stock, not make consumers happy.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #14
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

The testers probably still had old beta units and were now given the final production units (same as the Rogers ones) to test with the .147 OS.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #15
conker

PIN: 249E86E3

Well, as a NA AT&T customer who has held out patiently, I for one hope this is true. From my standpoint, any improvements on the hardware would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think this is a ridiculous claim. As part of their long term road map, video game console manufacturers always change the hardware to reduce costs. Granted, this would be a move made a 1+ year(s) into the cycle when technology catches up to collapse hardware functionality onto a smaller amount of chips, but what if they did find something wrong with the "1st Gen" hardware. It wasn't too long ago that Microsoft took a $1.3 billion dollar charge for the Xbox360 hardware debacle...

There seems to be a lot of finger pointing between Apple, Infineon and AT&T, but the truth regarding the 3G problems still has not come out. In the meantime, Apple continues to release software updates claiming improvements in 3G. What if it turns out it is the hardware?

Honestly, I DO hope RIM has discovered an issue with the hardware and is taking corrective measures. It would make me feel much better about my purchase in October.

I am sure some of the reaction in this thread stems from current Bold owners. I too would be pissed if I owned a Bold and the OP's post turns out to be true.

Last edited by conker; 09-14-2008 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 09-14-2008, 11:56 PM   #16
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

well if that was the case conker then they would need to do a massive recall on all Bolds... there is no way that RIM would let AT&T have that and let the others "suffer" that would be bad business, so i cant see there are issues with the hardware as they would have found that out way before they announced the device or released it to the public... Rogers or any other provider would have also noted it and yeah
Old 09-15-2008, 12:18 AM   #17
conker

Yes, "If that were the case." I was just commenting that it could happen. I have no idea whether it is true or not, and being selfish - I hope it is true - even if it is a minor change. Afterall, everyone wants improved hardware, right? It's the same reason we all go apeshit over new OS releases

Certainly, with the Xbox360 debacle we have a recent example of massive hardware design failure. In fact, many claim the biggest debacle in the history of consumer electronic hardware. So it is not unprecedented for consumer hardware problems to be detected after release. Rare, yes, but not unheard of. It took a awhile and repeated flat out denials before M$ came clean. And... they took a $1.3billion dollar charge, it was not treated as a massive recall, like it should have been. They simply changed the warranty policy, and put it upon the consumer to turn in hardware once they bricked. Smart, and sneaky.... Certainly, if there is an issue in the Bold, it could be so minor that they are willing to just deal with consumers who discover the problem and ask for exchanges. This is certainly a better option than a massive recall.

Also, it is true, right, that no one has gotten to the bottom of the iPhone 3G issue? Hmmmmm, suspicious, I think so.... Look, I am torn, I want good product. I will be first in line come October, so of course I hope all the significant problems get sorted before release - whether it be in s/w or h/w.

Last edited by conker; 09-15-2008 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: spelling and points
Old 09-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #18
holden

Ok, I am going to stick my neck out and make another guess...

AT&T is having issues with it's 3G Sim Cards with production numbers 3022 and 2022 (3G) as we have been seeing this with the 8700c's. I just wonder if this is part of this issue we are seeing at work that affects the EDGE network...? Maby there is more to this and it is affecting the 3g side as well...?? (yes, an armchair guess like so many others waiting and waiting for Bold...)
The 4022's (newest production Sims) do not seem to be affected by the issue we are seeing at work...(dropped network and poor performance)
Add the above with software issues and it could be why we are not seeing the device yet...

Last edited by holden; 09-15-2008 at 12:21 AM..
Old 09-15-2008, 01:35 AM   #19
rsnadel

PIN: N/A

I would think it very normal for RIM to a) update the hardware at various points during the lifecycle of any device (as do many other companies), and b) not recall any previously-sold devices based solely on the modifications made, assuming those other devices do work as promised. That said, if individuals bring to the attention of their cell provider problems that are fixed by the modifications and the device is still under warranty, they would stand a decent change of getting the original replaced with a refurb. But so long as the device is working the way the specs claim, I think that's a risk early adopters take.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:54 AM   #20
conker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnadel View Post
I would think it very normal for RIM to a) update the hardware at various points during the lifecycle of any device (as do many other companies), and b) not recall any previously-sold devices based solely on the modifications made, assuming those other devices do work as promised. That said, if individuals bring to the attention of their cell provider problems that are fixed by the modifications and the device is still under warranty, they would stand a decent change of getting the original replaced with a refurb. But so long as the device is working the way the specs claim, I think that's a risk early adopters take.
Well said.
Closed Thread