BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon
Default Ohhhh nooo I got an intel macbook!

Please Login to Remove!

That means time to dual boot and see what kinda damage my 8703e and shark whatever the program is can do! Only problem is I gotta wait a month it got put away for Christmas argh...
Old 11-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
zymurgyboy

Model: 7100T

Skip Boot Camp and get a copy of Parallels. No dual boot necessary. It's completely useable, unlike VirtualPC on many of the PowerPCs. Only drawback: your USB 2.0 ports are USB 1.1 only within Parallels.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:38 AM   #3
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

ya i shoulda posted i bought that too and i've been lurking the parallels board and USB 2.0 should be out after the start of the new year... ehhhhh thats so/so in my opinion but i'll deal. with parallels you can still tether and get access so it's all good!
Old 11-28-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple85
ya i shoulda posted i bought that too and i've been lurking the parallels board and USB 2.0 should be out after the start of the new year... ehhhhh thats so/so in my opinion but i'll deal. with parallels you can still tether and get access so it's all good!
Congrats! I'm scheduled to get a macbook or macbook pro after Macworld in Jan. My kid is getting my G4 PowerBook as a hand me down, (you should see how rough she is on these puppies!)

I'm curious as to what might be the theory with an Intel Mac book and parallels? Meaning what exactly would you new sync routine be? Does that mean you can now run the blackberry desktop? What benefits do you see? I'm also assuming that you would not then use Pocketmac for sync with apple Iapps, right?
Old 12-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
geck

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5
Congrats! I'm scheduled to get a macbook or macbook pro after Macworld in Jan. My kid is getting my G4 PowerBook as a hand me down, (you should see how rough she is on these puppies!)

I'm curious as to what might be the theory with an Intel Mac book and parallels? Meaning what exactly would you new sync routine be? Does that mean you can now run the blackberry desktop? What benefits do you see? I'm also assuming that you would not then use Pocketmac for sync with apple Iapps, right?
I'm running Parallels on a MacBook. I'm on BES and wirelessly sync everything with our Exchange server. I only want to use the Desktop Manager for 1. backup and 2. application loading, neither of which is provided with PocketMac, unfortunately. I can't get Desktop Manager to talk to the BB currently, and I'm hoping it's a USB 1.1 issue that will be resolved with USB 2.0 support coming in a new release of Parallels.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint
Default New beta of da P!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geck
I'm running Parallels on a MacBook. I'm on BES and wirelessly sync everything with our Exchange server. I only want to use the Desktop Manager for 1. backup and 2. application loading, neither of which is provided with PocketMac, unfortunately. I can't get Desktop Manager to talk to the BB currently, and I'm hoping it's a USB 1.1 issue that will be resolved with USB 2.0 support coming in a new release of Parallels.

Check it out. Parallels is out with a new Beta with many updates. If you end up having a go with it please post back here.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
ibrg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 0000
Carrier: T-Mo

Besides booting in one of the two (Mac or Windows) whatxxx8217;s the difference between Boot Camp and Parallels? I use Boot Camp and it works like a charm.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Parrells allows you to boot OSX and then run windows at the same time as a screen... You can go full screen with it. Check their website for a better description. Virtual pc, virtual machine and multiple operating system solutions by Parallels, Inc.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #9
shuffle
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

The new Parallels beta has a number of new features which make the decision to go with Parallels vs. Boot Camp obsolete. The beta can actually use your boot camp installation and virtualize it within OS X. Its very efficient this way and means that you only need 1 install of Windows. You can also now run seamless windows applications via Parallels in OS X. It is a beta release, but very feature rich.

BTW for the person who asked why you would want both Parallels and Boot Camp - parallels is virtualization. Its mimics a Windows environment to OS X. It works well, but somethings aren't virtualized - namely, 3d graphics acceleration. I do think this will be addressed one day, but for now if you game or otherwise need decent video performance your only choice is Boot Camp.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
ibrg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 0000
Carrier: T-Mo

Got a link to the "beta" download? I downloaded the Parallels Desktop for Mac, but I am not sure what version it is....
Old 12-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #11
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: iFone
Carrier: AT&T™

Awesome! I'm about to purchase the white Macbook T7200 C2D.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:14 PM   #12
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

so i'm back on a mac book now running parallels i just felt the loss after i got rid of the other one!