BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
mo-bile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default an email question

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, we have the default messages app for handling all messages. I'm using the BWC for a BB email address and getting on my company's BES this week.

If I install a third party email app, can I set it up for a particular email account to use? So keep the deafault BB messages for BB email and corporate email, and use a third party for personal email? I'd also like this third party app set the "from" address as something specific.

Basically, I want to separate the email accounts so the third party's "from" address is it's own unique address, and the default messenger app has it's own "from" address.

Is this possible?
Old 08-30-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
kirson
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Yes.

Two ways to do this.

1. If you have BES, you can setup BES to handle one email address, and then setup BWC to handle another. They both come into the Messages application on the handheld, but they have distinct "from" and "reply to" options for outgoing messages. Only real restriction is that "reply" will always use the same email address the message was sent to. However, there is no way to segregate the messages INSIDE the Messages application on the handhled. In order to do that, you need to go to No. 2, below

2. Get a third party email application -- something like EmailViewer from Reqwireless (I think -- I have never really used this one, but it seems to work). Setup the third party application to work with the non Exchange based email address, and have BES handle the Exchange server. You should be able to keep the two applciations completely separate.

Now, of course, I could be wrong

Ian
Old 08-31-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
mo-bile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirson
Yes.

Two ways to do this.

1. If you have BES, you can setup BES to handle one email address, and then setup BWC to handle another. They both come into the Messages application on the handheld, but they have distinct "from" and "reply to" options for outgoing messages. Only real restriction is that "reply" will always use the same email address the message was sent to. However, there is no way to segregate the messages INSIDE the Messages application on the handhled. In order to do that, you need to go to No. 2, below

2. Get a third party email application -- something like EmailViewer from Reqwireless (I think -- I have never really used this one, but it seems to work). Setup the third party application to work with the non Exchange based email address, and have BES handle the Exchange server. You should be able to keep the two applciations completely separate.

Now, of course, I could be wrong

Ian
#2 is kind of what I had in mind. I'm a little in the dark until I get on the BES. when that happens, does all my corporate email go in to the default messages app or is there another app specifically for corporate email, and the default messages app handles the BWC account? If not, how do I start a new email address and tell it to send from my corporate account or my BWC account?
Old 08-31-2004, 07:35 PM   #4
MrCynical
Thumbs Must Hurt

If I'm getting you right...(and I am not sure I am)

All you have to do is, when you're creating your e-mail, scroll up to your sent from address, and change it over I switch between webclient and my desktop clients like mad, depending upon whom I'm sending to!
Old 08-31-2004, 11:30 PM   #5
kirson

mo-bile: both the corporate exchange email and BWC email will go intothe Messages application. If you want to use a third party email application to completely segregate the email accounts, you will need to create a new email address for that purpose. Check the third party app. to see if they support only certain types of accounts. Then create one of those, and either have people use that account, or forward your existing account to that new one. Hope this doesn't read as confusing as it writes
Old 09-01-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
mo-bile
Thumbs Must Hurt

well I think I got part of it figured out. Got on the BES today and saw where I can change the sent from address to be either my corporate email or my bb email.

That solves that question.

Now I gotta try installing a third party email system to see if I can setup a completely different email account with it.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:08 PM   #7
kirson

Please post your findings -- it will be good to see this in action!
Closed Thread