BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #21
unclemurray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmo

Please Login to Remove!

Are you guys really seeing faster speeds over BT? What kind of speeds are you getting with 3g?

I just got a TMO 9700 and this works great. Am seeing about 1mbps down and 384kbps up via usb.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #22
2796ayls

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Thank you for the information

Thank you so much for your posting that I was finally able to tether my MAC (OS X 10.5.8) through my Blackberry 9000 (bold) (AT&T is my carrier) after spending three hours on the phone with AT&T and Blackberry to little avail.

It is frustrating to deal with poor quality of the AT&T supporting desk. They have no fundamental understanding of a phone, computer and network and can only follow given scripts. AT&T repS (yes, I talked with several of them) insisted that the account name and password should be blank and told me either flat out that MAC just can't tether through blackberry or I really need to talk to Blackberry or Apple when the error message keeps saying "can't successfully negotiate with the PPP server." Anyone with a little network knowledge should guess that the responsibility really falls on AT&T and they need to provide a bit more information so that PPP server will accept the communication request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnaman View Post
Just got this to work with ATT Bold 4.6.0.167 and Macbook 10.6.1

ATT Information
Telephone # : *99***1#
Acct Name: ISPCINGULARGPRS.COM (ALL CAPS)
Password: CINGULAR1 (ALL CAPS)

Click on Advanced
Vendor: Research In Motion
Model: BB IP Modem (GSM)
APN: isp.cingular (lower case)
CID: 1
Old 11-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #23
Dillinger

Model: 8220
Carrier: Digicel

Thanks for the tip ... but why would you not just use Bluetooth? Is there a difference (assuming you can get both working). I am asking to learn.

I am using Digicel (Caribbean) EDGE Bizapps on a BB 8220 via BT. Unlimited Data.

Not very fast, but surprisingly reliable (I can spend hours on it) at about 200kbps.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #24
blackbelt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

This is great!!! Much better faster than bluetooth. Bluetooth was not only slower but harder to set up
Old 12-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #25
Pepe8714
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Cingular

I'm having trouble with the USB tether. I have a 9700 on ATT that I can not get to work.

I have changed the settings to EXACTLY what was posted above. For the number... were those starred out of privacy? i put *9***04# whatever in mine as well..

Please advise.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #26
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe8714 View Post
I'm having trouble with the USB tether. I have a 9700 on ATT that I can not get to work.

I have changed the settings to EXACTLY what was posted above. For the number... were those starred out of privacy? i put *9***04# whatever in mine as well..

Please advise.
I dont believe they are starred out of privacy but I would like to know this answer as well
Old 01-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #27
Technarch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I have Rogers. These settings are tested and working on Leopard 10.5.8 using a Bold with 4.6.0.307

Tel Number: *99***1#
Account name: wapuser1
Password: wap

and in the advanced portion for the Research in Motion IP modem GSM driver, where it says apn put: internet.com

The requirement for this is that you have already installed the desktop manager for BB for OS X.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #28
oakie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

for T-Mobile USA users, you can try the following data instead of the OP's for USB tethering as it accesses the dedicated 3G APN instead of the WAP APN. they will work, although you may or may not see the increase in speed like i did.

telephone number: *99***1#
account name: GPRS
password: *99#

APN: epc.tmobile.com

all other settings are the same as the OP posted. i went from ~100Kbps to 2.3Mbps downstream without any other changes. YMMV, but it's worth a try if you're not getting reasonable 3G speeds if you have a 9700.

Last edited by oakie; 01-06-2010 at 06:11 PM..
Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
sbbytor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by androw@thestorycompanies. View Post
What modem script do you use for Verizon?
I have Verizon and seems to work fine. Connected with no issues.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #30
sbbytor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by adileoxfxanis View Post
Hello BlackBerryForums.com!
First, if this is in the wrong section. I do apologize. Anyway, it's been a while since I've logged in, but this is something I just had to share. As some of you know, the BlackBerry Desktop Manager was released for the Mac OSX yesterday. I was excited because now I could use my BlackBerry as a modem without the need of using BlueTooth (something I refused to do). I called T-Mobile (my carrier) to help me configure my network. I soon discovered that the T-Mobile BlackBerry support line did not even know a manager existed for the Mac, so they were only able to help me configure my BlackBerry using some modem script from this website: http://www.fibble.org/BlackBerry.ccl.zip
I was upset that they couldn't help me (they weren't even prepared), so I decided to figure it out myself. So here's exactly what I did:
I installed the BlackBerry Desktop Manager on my MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.1). It then asked me to reboot before I started the application. So after the reboot I started the application and connected my BlackBerry Curve 8320. I soon noticed that my BlackBerry was added to the network connections list.

So here is exactly what I did to tether (on my first try):
01.) Apple >> System Preferences... >> Internet & Wireless >> Network
02.) Then I clicked on "RIM Connected Device"
03.)
Telephone Number: *99#
Account Name: GPRS
Password: GPRS
04.) Now click the "Advanced.." button.
05.)
Model: BlackBerry IP Modem (GSM)
APN: wap.voicestream.com
06.) I did not do any other changes to to the Adavanced preferences. So then I hit "Connect" and BAM! I'm online via USB!

How did I know what to do? When I was on the phone with T-Mobile, they gave me the configuration details if I were to use BlueTooth. So if you want to try for your carrier, call them for the details and then try using USB instead of BlueTooth. As a note, I have supplied screenshots :D

I hope this helps!
-adileoxfxanis

UPDATE: T-Mobile representative just e-mailed me with a thanks...sweet!
UPDATE 2: Thank you Dubdub for moving me to appropraite section. I normally don't use forums, so I wasn't sure where to post it. Thanks again!
setup is perfect but Verizon directs me to a page asking me to pay $30 a month to use my BB as a modem. there hip to this I guess. Gotta get tetherberry to work.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #31
sbbytor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbytor View Post
I have Verizon and seems to work fine. Connected with no issues.
I just tried to go on the web via my storm but Verizon directs me to a page asking me to pay $30 a month for the service.

Sadly there hip to this so tetherberry here I come.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #32
Statman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

Quote:
I just tried to go on the web via my storm but Verizon directs me to a page asking me to pay $30 a month for the service.

Sadly there hip to this so tetherberry here I come.
Tether is $19.99 right now from app world.
Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
Old 01-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #33
lightingguy

Default 10.6.2 Mac with 8830 on Verizon

Hello

I have looked through the thread and am looking for help on the problem I have run into. I have 10.4 and used vzaccess to tether no problem. I use this out on the job and after upgrading to 10.6.2 I found out the hard way that it no longer worked. So I would like to still be setup over usb if possible as I do not use blue-tooth much, but if it has to be, i will figure out how to set it up. I have read that I may no longer need a program to tether, I can do it in networks. As I looked into this option, I am not setting it up right at it never can connect,

So, what do I need to do to get my Blackberry 8830 tethering again with the 10.6.2 on Verizon and I have tether package. It worked for 2 years before this software update. Any help would be great!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #34
sbbytor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statman View Post
Tether is $19.99 right now from app world.
I have Tether but can't get it to work. I emailed support and the only response I got was "are you running DM for mac?" Do you know if this causes a problem for Tether?

Thanks
sb
Old 01-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #35
Statman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I have Tether but can't get it to work. I emailed support and the only response I got was "are you running DM for mac?" Do you know if this causes a problem for Tether?

Thanks
sb
Well I read somewhere that tether support says there is a conflict. There is a KB article that just indicates they can't be running at the same time. I know I have the latest DM installed on my mac and I have tether and it works great with usb...too slow with BT from where I have tried it.
Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
Old 01-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #36
sbbytor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statman View Post
Well I read somewhere that tether support says there is a conflict. There is a KB article that just indicates they can't be running at the same time. I know I have the latest DM installed on my mac and I have tether and it works great with usb...too slow with BT from where I have tried it.
THANKS. Did you install the new Tether or are you running an older version. This problem seems to have happened once I installed the newer version of Tether.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #37
Statman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
THANKS. Did you install the new Tether or are you running an older version. This problem seems to have happened once I installed the newer version of Tether.
I run 1.1.0.0 on the BB
Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
Old 01-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #38
lightingguy

So, what do I need to do to get my Blackberry 8830 tethering again with the 10.6.2 on Verizon and I have tether package. It worked for 2 years before this software update. Any help would be great!
Old 01-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #39
Statman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightingguy View Post
read this for SL...but I still say drop the tethering charge from vzw and get tether instead....
Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
Old 01-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #40
dpak

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnaman View Post
Just got this to work with ATT Bold 4.6.0.167 and Macbook 10.6.1

ATT Information
Telephone # : *99***1#
Acct Name: ISPCINGULARGPRS.COM (ALL CAPS)
Password: CINGULAR1 (ALL CAPS)

Click on Advanced
Model: BB IP Modem (GSM)
APN: isp.cingular (lower case)
Just tried my BlackBerry Bold 9000 4.6.0.304 on AT&T (Tether Plan) with OSX 10.6.2 via USB and no luck.

Tried different combinations:
APN: isp.cingular; blank Username and password (as used by AT&T Communicator Software on Windows)
APN: isp.cinguar; ISPCINGULARGPRS.COM/CINGULAR1
APN: wap.cingular; WAP{at-shift-2}CINGULARGPRS.COM/CINGULAR1 (from Advanced --> TCP/IP Screen of BBery)

Also tried the *99***2# number (as per Windows Dialup Setting)

No Luck. If there is anyone who has got a similar combo of OSX and Bold working, I'd be eternally grateful. This is the one thing that is preventing me from dumping my PC for a MAC. (Tried this on wife's mac who doesnt tether).
Closed Thread