BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 03-18-2005, 06:45 AM   #21
gphoto

Default Desktop Manager & Virtual PC?

Please Login to Remove!

How about installing applications using Virtual PC and Desktop Manager? I'm trying to do it, but I can't get Desktop Manager to recognize the handheld (USB), although it does register in Virtual PC's settings list. (VPC 7.01 and Win XP pro).
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #22
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphoto
How about installing applications using Virtual PC and Desktop Manager? I'm trying to do it, but I can't get Desktop Manager to recognize the handheld (USB), although it does register in Virtual PC's settings list. (VPC 7.01 and Win XP pro).
Unfortunately its a no go, although VPC does see the BB device the desktop manager with VPC will not recognize it? Fiddle all you like it just doesn't seem to work.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:10 PM   #23
gphoto

Default USB Driver 2.0 N/G with VPC

After doing some reading on the Virtual PC forum I found that (quoting):

Virtual PC does NOT recognize USB driver 2.0....only USB 1.1

IF your device uses USB 2.0 driver ONLY and is not backward compatible to
USB 1.1, then VPC will do one of two things:
1. It will report your device as an unknown USB device
2. It will show your device in USB settings but will not communicate with
it.

In order to get any of these devices to work, you will need to use USB
driver 1.1 exclusively.

So, I'm guessing that the USB driver that comes with Desktop Manager for Win XP is 2.0. This would also explain why some people were able to get some USB devices to work in earlier versions of VPC running in Mac OS 9, but not in VPC 7 under OS X 10.3.

The big question remains... is there any way to install applications (or upgrade the BlackBerry software itself) on a Mac?
Old 03-18-2005, 02:51 PM   #24
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphoto
The big question remains... is there any way to install applications (or upgrade the BlackBerry software itself) on a Mac?
No.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:40 AM   #25
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

No!

Pocketmac is working on it but it's not out yet.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:48 PM   #26
DMA

Question can you explain how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseiffert
I sync with Entourage on my Powerbook using pocket mac. It does not synch email at all but if you have your webclient set up or a BES server account ithe mail syncs pretty well over the air. (Webclient only syncs new mail comming in to the pop 3 server.)
Can you explain details please? Email account set-up, sync over the air (is it long? can you explain the BES server synching?). I am a newbie with a new BB 7100. I am using Entourage 2004 with a POP3 account (not using Server Exchange). My company has the BES running (not version 4.0, but 3.something) in the UK (Vodaphone). I am in Canada (Rogers Wireless).

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:03 AM   #27
js7730

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus
No!

Pocketmac is working on it but it's not out yet.
Still no loader? This stinks!

Three questions:
I synch my BB7730 (T-Mobile Service, not using BES) with my PoweBook MS Entourage contacts, notes and calendar.
If I rigged up a PC (with USB 1.1 or 2.0 - you tell me)
1) What software would I need to upload software to my BB7730?
2) Would my connection of BB7730 to the PC and subsequent upload of software erase or muck up my synch'ed contacts, notes and calendar entries? If yes, is there a way to prevent this from occuring?
3) Is it worth it? Are there programs worth uploading to a BB7730?

OK, so that's more than three.

Last edited by js7730; 09-24-2005 at 03:06 AM..
Old 09-24-2005, 06:41 AM   #28
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

As it stands for software the majority of requested apps available for the Blackberry are availabe via OTA (Over the Air) download. The only thing you require the PC for at this point I find as a Mac user would be to preform an OS update. As for syncing shouldn't have an issue I sync with my PC at the office Sony Vaio (TR) and my Mac (Mini) at home.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:08 AM   #29
jax
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone

I agree, most apps are available OTA (or you can make them available OTA using the built in Apache web server). The only thing that's annoying me at the moment on a Mac is not being able to load MobiPocket ebooks without a PC - anyone had any success?
Old 10-03-2005, 07:06 PM   #30
newblackberryuser

Model: 7290
Default Help...small oddities with PocketMac 3.1.2 and 7290

I am a new user of Blackberry and have purchased PocketMac...initially it worked fairly well and I was able to sync my address book. Then when I went to resync after adding more address in my computer's Address Book I started getting double and triple entries on the Blackberry.

I know that it is a two way sync and that the Blackberry updates the address book, but it is doubling and tripling the address book entries as well...

anyone have the same problem?

Is epicad better?

THANK YOU!

John
Old 10-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #31
kjohn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: AIS

I use a mac (among several linux boxes) at work and another one at home. What would I need to get my Blackberry and both macs to sync all PIM content (ie. email, calendars, todos, etc...)?

From my research, it seems that if I setup BES & Exchange in my company, then we would have to use Entourage to sync with Exchange, and thus would sync with our Blackberries.. or can we still do this with the regular applications (Mail, iCal, AddressBook, Notes, etc.)? It appears that PocketMac and EPICAD may not be necessary?

Thanks in advance,

kjohn
Old 10-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #32
jax
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone

Yes you could set up Exchange and BES. You can then use Entourage (or mail.app and iCal) to access Exchange and wirelessly sync with your BB (using BES 4.0).

You could use an exchange / BES hosting service that would save you some cash and time (search this site for some recomendations).

What I do, is use .Mac to sync my calendar / todo / address book and PocketMac to sync to my BB. That way all my Macs and BB are kept up to date. My email is on IMAP servers so I use BIS to collect and redirect to my phone. The only downside of this is that my BB email is not in sync with my IMAP servers (it's just downloaded to the BB, not synced e.g. if I delete or read something on my BB, that's not reflected in my IMAP mail). I believe that the new version of BIS (used by T-mobile) may fix this.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:47 AM   #33
outlook

Model: 7100T

You might go looking for repair outlook and data email recovery. I have been using it without problem since it came out.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #34
jcalchi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Default PocketMac Contacts Field Mapping: Nextel Direct Connect

Has anyone toyed with PocketMac using a Nextel BlackBerry, Entourage and BES?

PocketMac tells me the default mapping puts Nextel Direct Connect numbers in the "Home 2" field in Entourage.

This puts me in a pickle for a couple of reasons. First, I am about to connect my Entourage to our Exchange server. Well, Outlook HAS a field called "Radio" that syncs wirelessly via our BES and picks up my DC numbers. If I connect Entourage to our Exchange server, it's going to get confused and have a double entry for the DC numbers.

You can't modify the mapping for the sync from Entourage to Exchange, right? What if I created a custom field in Entourage called "Radio", will the Exchange sync pick up on this?

I don't want to experiment, because I've lost a whole batch of DC numbers messing around before.

I don't have a problem letting the BES do all my sync work wirelessly--just as long as Entourage syncs with it correctly. There's not a pressing need for the PocketMac sync if I can do it wirelessly. And with the DC numbers, it aint going to as of yet.

Surely there's a work around...
Old 11-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #35
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint
Question BB, iCal, Address Book, Mail, Exchange???

I know there are explanations of my question out there somewhere, in bits and pieces, but can someone please take the time to give me a direct answer on how to do this, if possible?

I have a Mac, and I prefer Address Book/iCal/Mail over Entourage. I will be getting a BB 8700 from Cingular soon. I need to be able to have the BB and my iCal/Address Book/Mail all synced at all times. Is this possible? If so, how? I have a hosted Exchange account with 1and1.com, but I don't use it right now. Can I have all 5 of my email addresses forwarded to the Exchange account, which will sync with the BB, then just set up the BB with all accounts plus the Exchange accout so when composing or replying I can send from accounts other than the one Exchange account? Is there a better solution?

Secondly, how can I sync my Address Book/iCal with the BB through Exchange? Or is it not possible?

Lastly, why the hell doesn't Apple just come up with a version of .Mac that allows total syncing like Exchange does???

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc
Old 11-25-2005, 08:30 AM   #36
roofus

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

You have to use Entourage.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:37 PM   #37
anthonymoody
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I just got an 8700c and am using Pocket Mac but am experiencing some really weird behavior syncing my calendar for which I use iCal. (As an aside I use the mac Address book and it seems to sync fine).

Here are some things that happen:

-existing all day/no time events (the ones that appear at the top of a day with a little bullet) on the mac get turned into literally all day events which run from midnight to midnigh once they're sync'd to the BB

-new all day events (bullets) entered on the BB get sync'd to the *prior* day on the mac

Any thoughts?

TIA.
TM
Old 12-05-2005, 11:42 PM   #38
Tim Koltek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T
I have been trying to sync my email with my Mac via PocketMac, it does not work.
I've heard a bunch of people say Pocket Mac has caused them a lot of address book problems... IF you can even get it to work. It's amazing that the only product in this category is said to be so bad it's usable.

Any Mac developers listening??
Old 12-06-2005, 03:04 PM   #39
gecko042

Model: 7130e
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newblackberryuser
I am a new user of Blackberry and have purchased PocketMac...initially it worked fairly well and I was able to sync my address book. Then when I went to resync after adding more address in my computer's Address Book I started getting double and triple entries on the Blackberry.

I know that it is a two way sync and that the Blackberry updates the address book, but it is doubling and tripling the address book entries as well...

anyone have the same problem?

Is epicad better?

THANK YOU!

John
Also new to BB. I just got the 7130e and installed PocketMac 4.0 on my power book using Entourage 2004 and experiencing the same thing - with a twist. Some contacts duplicate while others do not. The duplicated are a mess of information - original, parts of orginal, and extra info repeated over and over from original. Then this is all copied onto my bb. It also tries to delete ALL of my calendar appointments/settings and I have to click 'restore all'.

Anyone know what to?!
Old 12-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #40
crs127

Model: 8730
Carrier: verizon

I use Ical and when i enter my info into ical and sync with my bb(using pocketmac) the times get messed up i.e. i enter 8am appt and then sync and get 3pm appt.
anybody have any clues?