Old 04-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #21
i.masterem

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFLDEng611 View Post
The iPhone is more of a consumer device, where the BB is more of a professional business device.
That has been my sense as well...I think many people see the touch screen and forget that Apple is really a consumer-targeted company at heart.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #22
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 812-
Carrier: SunCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.masterem View Post
That has been my sense as well...I think many people see the touch screen and forget that Apple is really a consumer-targeted company at heart.
I used to agree with your position. After so many disappointments with the Blackberry, I no longer agree.

The iPhone coupled with a Mac is proving to be quite robust for business needs. It's handicap at the moment is Exchange services. Perhaps in a few weeks, that will be addressed with WWDC or whenever Apple announces the 3G device. The touch screen is really the only part of the iPhone that I don't get all excited about. It works as well for me as the tiny keys on a BB -- just differently. The iPhone really shines with its webbrowser. I deal with a lot of different authentication schemes in websites I have to use, and I have to use a combination of three browsers on a BB: the built-in RIMjob, Opera 3 and Opera 4. And it remains a pain in the tuckus to use any of them. The iPhone excels in web browsing.

I use non BES/BIS email systems that aren't supported by the BB. Apple's Mail has no issues with POP accounts. If it wasn't for Missing Sync picking up the slack where RIM just can't 'get it', I would have auctioned off this BB weeks ago due to lackluster calendaring support (my personal office doesn't use an exchange server -- we have iCal tied into our group management sw -- and only M/S has allowed me to keep most of my calendar sanity. The iPhone works with our iCal solution very well.

We're moving away from proprietary nonsense (now up to date, meeting maker, etc.) and will no longer consider most of these per-seat solutions for business communications. We seek either open-source that we can manage without additional overhead, or site-license without a ceiling or expiration date. IT departments have wagged the dog and made expensive lousy choices in the past, and most of my customers are getting fed up with this model.

I'd love to see RIM get proactive and tackle some of these real-world needs, rather than sit on their one-way paradigm. Opening up to POP email the same way they opened up to wifi with their recent products. This kind of flexibility will keep them as a front-runner for business tools. But don't discount the iPhone. At one year old, it is growing up fast and it is reaching beyond the enterprise. Only job-security-paranoid IT staff will recommend against it for their own personal interest -- assuming Apple fills in the gaps of their product (which are equally frustrating: 3G, GPS, call recording, video capture, replaceable battery pack, upgradeable SD card slot, etc). The planned obsolescence of these devices is worrisome, but the ability to employ them in the work enterprise is barely below the BB standard.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #23
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 812-
Carrier: SunCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by withnail69 View Post
sorry for the hijack but I wanted to ask you guys about this as well. I am scared that I won't be able to access my pop3 mail. Whilst playing around with BIS I actually added my email address and it said it was successful. The trouble is the options I have on my BB are different to those in my user manual. on the setup wizard > email setup my only options is "I want to use a work email account with a blackberry enterprise server". My friends who also have 8120's have seperate applications to set up email. Do I need to somehow rebuild this BB to get all the options or is this cause it is an orange phone the options have been restricted?
Can you find out what your friends are using? Names of apps would ba a great start. websites would be great, too. What kind of access do they have to their pop accounts (is it only with their carrier, or are these third-party accts)?
Old 05-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #24
datasmog

Model: 8310
Carrier: Vodafone

My two penny worth for what it's worth.
I've been using an iPhone for the last 3 weeks and put my Curve in the desk drawer. I've gone back to the Curve and will probably pass the iPhone to my daughter. She has no real use for mobile email.
Email on the iPhone really does need a data plan otherwise it just doesn't work, except via wifi.
When it does work on your data plan it sucks bandwidth wholesale.
I'm paying £5 a month to Vodafone for a Blackberry service so it makes sense to use it. In the last 3 weeks the iPhone has used up almost twice the data bandwidth than I ever use in a whole month of BB use, just getting email.

Setting up pop accounts to route through a BB server is a no brainer, it really does just work and I don't understand why anyone would not want to use it that way. BB service is cheap from cell providers these days and if my experience with bandwidth usage with the iPhone is anything to go by you'd be nuts to do it any other way.

On the iPhone plus side, if you're used to the Apple integrated apps, iCal, Address Book etc, it's a rel nice device to use and the email app looks good and is easy to use.
If only it had BB integration or dot mac mail had push, because Yahoo is not the answer.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #25
adorkable
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask.
Carrier: Verizon

Someone may have already suggested this, but I use gmail's mobile blackberry application. Reason being, I use gmail for all of my email accounts, and that's one thing I like about it so much. If you set up a gmail account and then set it to retrieve mail from all your pop3 accounts, you will be able to use their mobile application to send and receive all your email on your BlackBerry.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #26
sads25

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t
Default using wifi???

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorkable View Post
Someone may have already suggested this, but I use gmail's mobile blackberry application. Reason being, I use gmail for all of my email accounts, and that's one thing I like about it so much. If you set up a gmail account and then set it to retrieve mail from all your pop3 accounts, you will be able to use their mobile application to send and receive all your email on your BlackBerry.
can you set this up to use wifi instead of your carriers over the air signal???? if so, how do you set it up? I have the email working great through the gmail/good mail applications. But i have very poor reception in my home so i don't get the emails there.

Advice????
Old 08-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #27
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sads25 View Post
can you set this up to use wifi instead of your carriers over the air signal???? if so, how do you set it up? I have the email working great through the gmail/good mail applications. But i have very poor reception in my home so i don't get the emails there.

Advice????
When the BB is connected to a WiFi router, it will go that route to access the network. Both ways.

Just tried it with my Bold. Connected to WiFi, turned off the radio and sent myself an e-mail. Arrived on the BB immediately. Both to my BES and BIS accounts.

There really is no need for a different client on the BB. You can look at the BIS setup as the POP3 client. BIS polls your e-mail account and pushes the mail to your device. Saves on battery and bandwidth as the device does not have to check for mail.
Closed Thread